Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 14 Jan 20, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Please check my thinking! (Banked points/changing booking)

Hi. I think I have this right but I’d like to check in advance. We currently have a short stay (5 nights) booked for BCV in October. There’s somewhere else I’d love to try for a couple of nights and it’s currently still available. Obviously I’m aware there’s plenty of time for things to change!

At 7 months can I:
Book 2 nights at the other resort
Modify my beach club stay to reduce it by 2 nights
Modify the other booking but don’t change it to use the released banked points?

I’m sure I’ve read that the original booking should be split in 2 but I can’t remember why. It might be only for dropping waitlists. Would it matter if room availability changed between steps 1 and 3? Obviously it would have to as I’ve made a booking!

This is only my second stay (my first at beach club) so I might be really overthinking this!

Thanks
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodlez View Post
Hi. I think I have this right but I’d like to check in advance. We currently have a short stay (5 nights) booked for BCV in October. There’s somewhere else I’d love to try for a couple of nights and it’s currently still available. Obviously I’m aware there’s plenty of time for things to change!

At 7 months can I:
Book 2 nights at the other resort
Modify my beach club stay to reduce it by 2 nights
Modify the other booking but don’t change it to use the released banked points?

I’m sure I’ve read that the original booking should be split in 2 but I can’t remember why. It might be only for dropping waitlists. Would it matter if room availability changed between steps 1 and 3? Obviously it would have to as I’ve made a booking!

This is only my second stay (my first at beach club) so I might be really overthinking this!

Thanks
Good question.

Yes if you ever fancy a split stay, book the original resort in two tranches for the number of nights you will replicate in the split. Then when you modify at 7 it is a straight swap, then you don’t have an issue of using other points etc and messing about.

But your suggested workaround may work. You will need more points now to book your new two nights.

Yes, you can then go to your original booking and cancel 2 nights which will return those points to current use year of when the booking is made.

When I was messing about on the booking system yesterday, and looking at perhaps amending one of my bookings for another resort but still picked the original resort in the show availability list, it seemed to show as available. In other-words, it appeared (and I could be wrong) to show me the room I already had booked as being available if I wanted to proceed to amend- so to amend to exactly the same inventory.

If that is correct, and I could effectively book the same inventory again, then perhaps on the next screen as it usually does, it may let me select the contracts for the points to use for the amendment. If it still does, you can maybe then select the banked points on the contract or it will use banked points first as you are making a new booking.

If not, your other option is just to book it anyway at 7, then cancel the 2 nights off the other original booking, then call up and try to get member services to jiggle your points about so your banked points are used up first.

Hope this makes some sense, let us know how it works out as I’d be interested to know.

Edited at 11:33 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I would just give MS a call, they'll do it all for you and can see the availability, so you'll know the risk throughout rather than second guessing it doing it yourself.

Good luck.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 10:43 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 20, 12:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodlez
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Thanks very much. Luckily I have plenty of points for the booking as I’ve only used banked points so far.

I might ring MS to get them to change the points but I wouldn’t want to risk leaving it to book with them as I would be doing at at 7 months to the second. ;-)
Noodlez is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List