Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 30 Oct 17, 04:08 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
At the risk of sounding stupid, what is it? How does it work?

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

its a water heater and circulator. you clip it to a large pan/receptacle full of water, set the temp and time and it heats and circulates the water in the pan. you just drop vacuum-sealed food in (you can do simple vacuum sealing by dropping the food into a ziplock bag and closing it underwater)

the "proper" sous vide devices are like a full temperature controlled water bath thing, but they are bulky and expensive, this takes up a lot less space on the gadget shelf when not in use

heston is a big fan, and unlike liquid nitrogen or centrifugal separators, its something that you can do easily at home and get consistently great results

seriouseats/2009/10/u...lumenthal.html
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Why would you need to connect a cooking pot to the internet? Sounds like adding something for the sake of it and just bumping up the price.

None of the chefs on the cooking shows connect theirs to the internet when doing this style of cooking...

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Why would you need to connect a cooking pot to the internet? Sounds like adding something for the sake of it and just bumping up the price.

None of the chefs on the cooking shows connect theirs to the internet when doing this style of cooking...
Same reason you'd turn your heating on via Hive rather than waiting to turn your boiler on when you get home. It's a gadget that may not be useful to everyone but will be for some.

Edited at 06:50 PM.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Oct 17, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post

We have the Sous Vide Supreme and use for allsorts - brisket, casseroles, stocks etc but you can also use them for creme brulee, sauces, bread pudding and even syrups.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Oct 17, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
thats because they are sat there in the same room as the cooker...

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Same reason you'd turn your heating on via Hive rather than waiting to turn your boiler on when you get home. It's a gadget that may not be useful to everyone but will be for some.
exactly this. it means i can set it off cooking whilst sat at my desk at work. as these are good for long, slow cooks, it means i can cook a steak for 3 hours or longer whilst out of the house. i just have to stick the food bags into the pot before i leave in the morning.

its not an essential feature, its just useful. i could get away with sticking a timer socket onto it, but whats the point? this is the future, why not make the most of IoT features?!

plus having the notifications going to your phone that its finished cooking/etc is useful even when in the house, as i might be out in the garden and not hear it beeping.

Edited at 10:17 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 17, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

But for safety reasons it is recommended that you do not have appliances running when no one is about...

Still can't see the point... each to thier own in the end I suppose...

Edited at 08:47 AM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 17, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Megandllsmum
Imagineer

Megandllsmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
ok, first attempt at steak last week. used a decent enough 30 day aged ribeye from lidl (or maybe aldi)

added salt, pepper and a bit of crushed garlic to both, and a bit of steak rub to mine... also did a bunch of sweet peppers and mini portobello mushrooms with butter and garlic in another bag...

cooked at 135 degrees for around 2.5 hours...

finished article looks quite grey, so to add a bit of colour, they were pan seared in some butter for around a minute per side...

served with caramelised fried onions and crinkle cut chips, using some of the garlic butter from the sous vide vegetables bag as a "sauce" on the chips

absolutely beautiful. next time i'll be doing a really cheap steak for several hours, see how that turns out.
What's that saying you eat with your eyes ( I thought it was a knife and fork but you know what I mean ) but that steak looks awful in the first picture more like liver which I detest so I would be instantly put off... that is until I see the after picture where you seared it for a minute and it looks amazing.
When I cook in slow cooker I always have to brown the meat first not just to lock in flavour but to add colour ... unbrowned sausages in a slow cooker casserole look yuk.
I love to cook, my OH is gadget man but unfortunately that would never stray to the kitchen so can't see us getting one of these.
Megandllsmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 17, 02:34 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

did a topside beef joint yesterday... 135 degrees for 13 hours. seasoned with english mustard, thyme, salt and pepper, dropped into a gallon sized hefty ziplock bag, then pan seared at the end.

by far the best beef joint i think i've *ever* had!

if i only ever cook beef with the anova, i'dve got my moneys worth. next up - fish!

Old 22 Nov 17, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wanye View Post
did a topside beef joint yesterday... 135 degrees for 13 hours. seasoned with english mustard, thyme, salt and pepper, dropped into a gallon sized hefty ziplock bag, then pan seared at the end.

by far the best beef joint i think i've *ever* had!

if i only ever cook beef with the anova, i'dve got my moneys worth. next up - fish!

Wanye that looks delicious. Can I come to your for tea?
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List