Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Aug 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

You must report this incident to the Police, as YorkshireT says the dog was out of control & the incident must be logged in case it happens again so that the owner can be taken to court. Suppose poor Tilly had been a child! Doesnt stand thinking about does it.
My husband was attacked 2 years back a local dog jumped a 5 bar fence to get at our 16 year old dog. I stood in front of her and my DH kicked at the dog which then jumped at him & bit his arm drawing blood. After a shouting match with the owner my dh phoned the police there and then. They took the details. A friend put it on our village FB page and 6 people got in touch with us to say similar had happend to them but NO ONE had reported it thinking the police would not do anything but suddenly they were all willing to add their voice to our complaint but the police said that was too late. But they did got and see him and the dogs he owns now have to stay in a certain area and must be muzzled if out for a walk.
I hope Tilly & your boys are all ok - its such a shock when it happens.
Old 26 Aug 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Floridatilly, I think you are local to me. Please report it to the police. The police in our area take it very seriously. A couple of years ago myself and one of my dogs were attacked as we walked past a garden. A dog flew down the driveway and went for my dog. My dog was yelping and trying to get away as he was getting bitten. I stepped in front of the dog to keep him away from mine and it bit me on my ankle drawing blood. I was furious and told the owner, who stood and watched it all happen, that I was going to report it to the police and I got a mouthful of foul language. The police were great, they took a report over the phone then came out and saw me a couple of days later to take a statement. They were then going to visit the owner and were especially unhappy when I told them what his reaction was. As they said to me, the dog attacked totally unprovoked and it could have been a child it went for. I couldn’t fault the police and how helpful they were so definitely worth reporting.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 05:15 PM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

That is awful. What a frightening situation for you all. Poor little Tilly.

Now when the man approached you and asked you to pick up Tilly ... what if you had a big dog, too heavy to pick up? What would he have done then i wonder. He should never have his dog off the lead and it should wear a muzzle.

I would report it to the police.

It is hard to know what to do in such a situation when a dog attacks your own dog. We made a mistake many years ago when a dog sunk its teeth into ours, we tried getting our dog, but made things worse as pulling our dog away from the other dogs teeth just made the injuries worse. luckily our dog ended up okay. But I certainly feel for you. Horrendous thing to go through. I hope your kids are okay, terrible thing for them to witness.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Aug 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MinniMouse
VIP Dibber

MinniMouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Definitely report it to the police. We have a working cocker and I used to walk him round a loch near us with my SIL and her dog. There was always this pit bull which would charge at us every time we went round and I would scoop our dog up in my arms. This happened several times and a couple of times I didn't hear him coming and he got to our dog before I could do anything. Our dog ever since then is very wary when other dogs approach and I usually give a warning if there is a dog coming towards and ask if they can put their dog on a lead as my dog doesn't like being approached when he is on the lead - I think it's because he can't get away. He is fine off the lead, still an be wary but will never attacked. It's usually labs that take a dislike to him. My dad walks him regularly and has had several run ins with people in the village when their dog has gone for him. Why can't people put their dogs on a lead if they are prone to attacking. One of my major bug bears with dog owners!
MinniMouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List