Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 12 Feb 16, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Legal help needed

I just wondered if anybody could help with legal advice regarding a student I had staying with me that stole sentimental jewellery. The language school will not accept liability.
As I don't go into my jewellery box very often, I don't know exactly when this happened.
I have a crime number and the police said the school should have insurance against this kind of thing, but the school says they don't and wont do anything about it.
Any help at all would be very much appreciated.my insurance doesn't cover it because they had a key so it wasn't burglary.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 16, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
floridasarah
VIP Dibber

floridasarah's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Sorry can't offer any legal advice but just wanted to say how awful for you, when you open your house to these students and put your trust in them and look after them.

We also have language students ( I think it may be the same school as ours has schools in Bournemouth I think)
floridasarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 16, 05:47 PM  
Link to this Post

It was my mothers wedding ring and my grandmothers engagement ring. Possibly could be the same school, they are in Cambridge, head office is Switzerland. They pay much less than the other language schools and don't want to know if there's a problem
Old 12 Feb 16, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post

I would go see a solicitor and get him to write to the language school. Even if they don't have insurance they must have some way of tracing the student.
Old 12 Feb 16, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
duncanb
Imagineer

I would assume your own insurance would cover this and they may wish to pursue language school.
As that is what you insure for.
Old 12 Feb 16, 07:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Did the Language School undertake any kind of vetting process before sending the student to you? I suppose what I am trying to get at is what was the process for allocating students and was there a contract between you and the College.
If they did undertake some form of character check then you may have a case that it was insufficient or they didn't follow due process. Alternatively, it could be that all relevant checks were negative. Next question is were the checks as exhaustive as possible.
If they didn't undertake any checks, did they tell you? It could be argued that by placing a student in your home, they had a duty of care to you, and not to inform you that they have no knowledge of the student's 'good character' could be regarded as negligence.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 16, 07:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by duncanb View Post
I would assume your own insurance would cover this and they may wish to pursue language school.
As that is what you insure for.
I would presume the opposite to be honest. You would need to have told your insurance you were taking in a lodger.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 16, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumba75
Imagineer

Pumba75's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 23
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
OP, the only way you are going to get correct and full guidance on this is by seeking advice from a Solicitor - anything posted on here is going to be supposition and guesswork from people who are not in full possession of the facts, and unlikely to be qualified, or authorised to give any such advice.

Good luck, I hope you get it resolved.
Pumba75 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 16, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post
OP, the only way you are going to get correct and full guidance on this is by seeking advice from a Solicitor - anything posted on here is going to be supposition and guesswork from people who are not in full possession of the facts, and unlikely to be qualified, or authorised to give any such advice.

The only direct advice I can see above is to go and see a solicitor. The rest of it is sympathy, opinion and questions to think about.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Feb 16, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
TheDisneyCouple
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pumba75 View Post

Just this

OP I'm very sorry that this has happened to you
TheDisneyCouple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread