Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Sep 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FizzyWhip View Post
It’s definitely harder now.
As much of a test for us as it is them!
I’m sure they’ll all find their feet or if not they find a way to get to where they want to be 🤞🏼
Going to step away from the thread now as don’t really think my experiences are relevant or helpful,on reflection!
Good luck to all in their new adventure and strength to all the mums and dads 🍀
I think everyone who has been through this, as you have, has given a lot of very useful advice and insights into the experience. I have certainly found your input helpful.

Our older sons went many years ago so I have felt very unprepared for Georgia moving, so your more recent experiences are very relevant. I can’t remember it being as stressful when the boys went 😀
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

I have benefited immensely frim every post, josh is on the bus as we speak. He hasnt been eating much, going out, mixing in kitchen area and generally being on his own. He had self diagnosed he may have bi-polar, or paranoia. He has neither but he is just going deeper into himself. Some tough love i think, but dh is a adamant he cant go back. So will ser how things go xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Hope your son is ok Shirley.

Freshers week is v full on with alcohol! I remember it well from when I went to uni. I was also v homesick when I went but it did get easier, it's such a huge change.
Getting more nervous by the day as my Ds going soon. Haven't had much time with him this week either and feel I'm running out of time .x

Edited at 11:03 PM.
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 07:02 AM  
Link to this Post
fizzypop
Imagineer

Good luck to everyone moving in this weekend

My DD moved in last weekend and I posted how hard it was for all of us. She was crying, not eating and wanting to come home. I phoned her halls who helped her out a bit. We have been in contact with her a lot to prove we haven’t “forgotten” about her. Her uni has had a good induction programme, she has been in everyday this week meeting people on her course which has certainly helped and she seems more settled, well we haven’t had any more calls with her crying. Last night she even cut our call short as she had a film night in someone else’s flat which is a good sign.

I think it is a big change for all of them and I’m glad we didn’t collect her last weekend as we felt it was best for her to stay. It might not be right for everyone though to do that - the person in the room next to her didn’t managed to stay for more than 24 hours sadly.

We are taking our eldest back to uni this weekend who is starting the 3rd year. This will be the start of our empty nest which I’m not looking forward to at all.
fizzypop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

Took DS1 back yesterday to start his Masters. DS2 went last weekend. We are going back to see him this weekend with all the things he forgot or needs (hairdryer, hairbrush and his AS certificate that the university didn’t copy). DH is finding it harder than I am.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

Aargh, it gets no easier, my son text me at 6.30am to say he has been up all night with upset tummy and sickness, he feels too ill to go to his Seminar this morning, I guess he will just have to catch up

He had been doing alright up to this point!
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by fizzypop View Post
Good luck to everyone moving in this weekend

My DD moved in last weekend and I posted how hard it was for all of us. She was crying, not eating and wanting to come home. I phoned her halls who helped her out a bit. We have been in contact with her a lot to prove we haven’t “forgotten” about her. Her uni has had a good induction programme, she has been in everyday this week meeting people on her course which has certainly helped and she seems more settled, well we haven’t had any more calls with her crying. Last night she even cut our call short as she had a film night in someone else’s flat which is a good sign.

I think it is a big change for all of them and I’m glad we didn’t collect her last weekend as we felt it was best for her to stay. It might not be right for everyone though to do that - the person in the room next to her didn’t managed to stay for more than 24 hours sadly.

We are taking our eldest back to uni this weekend who is starting the 3rd year. This will be the start of our empty nest which I’m not looking forward to at all.
So pleased to hear your DD has started to settle now, it must have been so upsetting for you all for the first week though. I’m sort of expecting the same with Georgia, I think she will find homesickness a problem at first. Hopefully, like your daughter, she will be able to get through it and start to enjoy the experience more. I can totally understand how overwhelming it must be for them though and see why many don’t stay more than a day/week.

Our empty nest will start tomorrow and I’m not looking forward to it at all. I get so many people saying how nice it will be after 32 years of child rearing, but I’m just thinking how sad it will be 😢
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:31 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by BarrettFamily View Post
Took DS1 back yesterday to start his Masters. DS2 went last weekend. We are going back to see him this weekend with all the things he forgot or needs (hairdryer, hairbrush and his AS certificate that the university didn’t copy). DH is finding it harder than I am.
Sorry to hear your DH is finding it hard. My DH has been very quiet this week, although he is quiet anyway, as I think he is feeling sad at the thought of Georgia going too.

How has your son settled? I know you said he was finding it ok earlier when he moved, has he made friends? Had a good Freshers week as I know he doesn’t drink, like Georgia? It’s good to hear that he didn’t find this a ‘problem’
Old 20 Sep 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Edie ray View Post
Aargh, it gets no easier, my son text me at 6.30am to say he has been up all night with upset tummy and sickness, he feels too ill to go to his Seminar this morning, I guess he will just have to catch up

He had been doing alright up to this point!
Oh no, what a shame. I hope it’s nothing too serious and possibly related to rubbish food or drinks. How sweet that he contacts you at 6.30am to let you know 😀 Proves they always need their mam 😂

I’m sure he will be fine catching up, although I guess he doesn’t want to miss out early in the course. I hope he feels better soon xx
Old 20 Sep 19, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Not been on for a while as it’s been a very busy time since exam results.
We take my son up to Newcastle tonight ready to move in tomorrow - so today is busy packing. He has many of his friends heading to Newcastle/Northumbria, including his best friends, and I really hope this doesn’t detract from making new friends. When my daughter went there she didn’t know anyone so threw herself into everything and has made fantastic friends.

I hope those whose children have started continue/start to settle in. It’s such a big change and affects everyone differently.

I’m so happy for my children fulfilling their dreams but...I’m so dreading the empty nest that awaits me.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List