Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Apr 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Starmum22
Imagineer

Mobile Flying with diabetes

My grandparents are going to Florida for the first time with other family members in September. My papa is a type 2 diabetic who requires an insulin injection at night. He’ll be fine for the outbound flight but for the inbound he will need to take his equipment for his injection on board. Does he need a doctor’s letter or prescription in order to be allowed through security and on board the flight with this?

Thanks 🙂
Old 9 Apr 18, 02:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Disneycraft
Imagineer

Disneycraft's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 9
Restaurant Reviews: 17

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I take both ,however have been 16 times and never once asked for proof even when they searched the bag once and found the syringes

Marriott 93, MIC lakefront 94,Holiday inn 96,Rosen plaza 98,Quality inn plaza 02,BVP 06,BVP 07 ,Royal plaza 08,villa 09,villa +RPR 11,villa 12,Contemporary 13,BVP 14 ,POR xmas 15,Beach club 16,Beach Club 18 ,Contemporary 22, Sheraton LBV 23,+ DLP 03,17
Disneycraft is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Lullington
Getting Excited

I take both but again have never been asked. I always carry all of my medication in my hand luggage just in case the suitcases get lost. Also I think the temperature in the hold can sometimes be unsuitable for insulin. Jo
Lullington is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 03:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Starmum22
Imagineer

Mobile

Thank you both for your replies. I will get him to take a doctor’s letter and he keeps all his prescriptions anyway.

Thanks again 🙂
Old 9 Apr 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
paultall90
slightly serious Dibber

you MUST take you insulin in your hand luggage NEVER put it in the hold the insulin will degrade in the cold temperatures so when he uses it it can be unpredictable.
i have always taken my old prescriptions a doctors letter but have never been asked for them once i do mention i am diabetic and carrying insulin when checking luggage.
also i find those cool pouches you can by invaluable.
friouk/

Edited at 03:23 PM.
paultall90 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
BabyM
Very Serious Dibber

Yep always keep insulin in hand luggage. I take my prescription and a letter from the GP, never been asked to show them but have then just in case. I took my insulin in Frio pouches and once on board I was given a sharps tube to put my used needles in.
Old 9 Apr 18, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

Also, get some cool gel type packs to keep the insulin cool, it needs not yo be too cold, nor get too hot.
I use these
amazon/Frio-Insuli...ool+bag+travel
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Apr 18, 06:00 PM  
Link to this Post
gaity
Very Serious Dibber

gaity's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My brother is type 2 insulin
He went to see the nurse last week and she mentioned to him he needs a letter and she did it straight away
gaity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Starmum22
Imagineer

Thank you all so much for your replies. Very helpful, as I knew the Dibb would be! My family who are going in September are all newbies and I’ve helped them with so much of their planning but when this came up I didn’t have a clue!

Thanks again lovely Dibbers 🙂
Starmum22 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Apr 18, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

I've travelled with glass & steel syringes, disposable syringes, pens, needles, insulin bottles, insulin cartridges, strips, pricker etc for 40 years; 20 or so flights a year; estimated 400 flights or so in that time.

I print a copy of my on-line script; don't get regular scripts as such anymore as I order everything on-line now.

I've never had a nurse's or doctor's letter, do not remove my meds from my hand luggage at security, do not put my insulin in a clear bag, do not inform anyone that I have meds & sharps etc and I have never been stopped, pulled aside, been given any hassle or asked any questions... ever... even flying in the US 14 days after 9-11.

I know others will advise you carry a letter etc & if that makes you feel more comfortable, that's good; just giving my experience; security will see this sort of thing every day & are unlikely to say/do anything or bat an eyelid.

Edited at 10:15 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List