Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 27 Aug 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Stu
Imagineer

Stu's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 4

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 324
Guidebook Photos: 485
Guidebook Reviews: 1
So What is Happening at Disney's EPCOT Theme Park

Walt Disney once said Epcot "would always be in a state of becoming" – it is a place that changes with the times.

Over the next several years, the Walt Disney World Resort theme park will live up to that promise in a whole new way as it continues the biggest transformation of any Disney park in history, bringing the next generation of immersive storytelling to life through a plethora of new attractions and experiences.

Epcot will be unified with four neighborhoods that each speak to important aspects of the world and its people: World Showcase, World Celebration, World Nature and World Discovery. These neighborhoods will be filled with new experiences rooted in authenticity and innovation that take guests to new destinations, where the real is made fantastic in a celebration of curiosity, hands-on wonder and the magic of possibility.

World Showcase

• World Showcase will continue to be a celebration of culture, cuisine, architecture and traditions – infused with new magic.
  • The United Kingdom pavilion will welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins. Guests will step in time down Cherry Tree Lane past Admiral Boom's house, then enter Number 17, home of the Banks family, where their adventure will begin.
  • In 2020, following the limited-time run of "Epcot Forever," the new "HarmonioUS" will debut as the largest nighttime spectacular ever created for a Disney park. It will celebrate how the music of Disney inspires people the world over, carrying them away harmoniously on a stream of familiar Disney tunes reinterpreted by a diverse group of artists from around the globe. "HarmonioUS" will feature massive floating set pieces, custom-built LED panels, choreographed moving fountains, lights, pyrotechnics, lasers and more.
  • In summer 2020, the France pavilion will offer even more for guests to discover, including the much-anticipated attraction Remy's Ratatouille Adventure, where guests will shrink to the size of Chef Remy and race through Gusteau's restaurant on a wild adventure. Summer 2020 will also see the debut of a delicious new restaurant in the France pavilion, La Crêperie de Paris, offering both table- and quick-service options featuring a menu from celebrity chef Jérôme Bocuse.
  • Also in the France pavilion, the classic Impressions de France film will be joined by the new "Beauty and the Beast Sing-Along," debuting in January 2020 and directed by Don Hahn, producer of both the animated and live-action versions of this tale as old as time.
  • "Canada Far and Wide in Circle-Vision 360" will debut in January 2020 in the Canada pavilion with new scenes and a new story.
  • In the China pavilion, "Wondrous China" will take guests on a spectacular journey across the country, filmed and presented in a completely seamless 360-degree digital format.

World Celebration

• World Celebration will offer new experiences that connect guests to one another and the world around them.
  • The iconic Spaceship Earth will remain a voyage through time as the journey transforms to reflect the power of storytelling to unite the human experience. New narration and an entirely new musical score will focus on the moments and ideas that define the story of humanity. Guests will follow a magical "story light" that brings the entire experience to life in dynamic ways, giving each scene energy and beauty that ties the entire journey together.
  • A new pavilion will be the perfect place for live events, and the home base for Epcot's signature festivals. It will provide a stunning elevated view of the entire park and an ideal spot to witness Epcot's nighttime spectacular. This beautiful three-level structure will have one of the most remarkable architectural designs at any Disney park, featuring a plaza level, a middle expo level, and a park that sits in the sky on the top level.
  • Epcot's entrance plaza will be transformed with new experiences that connect guests with the world around them, welcoming them with a reimagined fountain, new pathways and sweeping green spaces that beautify the entryway. The design will pay homage to the origins of Epcot.
  • As guests exit Spaceship Earth, they will discover a breathtaking new view of World Showcase from Dreamers Point. World Celebration will also feature a new statue celebrating the legacy of the original dreamer, Walt Disney, plus beautiful natural environments and global design elements filled with Disney magic and surprises, including a wishing tree in an enchanted forest and a story fountain celebrating the power and music of iconic Disney storytelling.

World Nature

• World Nature is dedicated to understanding and preserving the beauty, awe and balance of the natural world. It will include The Land and The Seas with Nemo & Friends pavilions.
  • Journey of Water, Inspired by "Moana" will be the first experience inspired by the hit Walt Disney Animation Studios film. This lush exploration trail will invite guests to meet and play with magical, living water. The water will have a life of its own – just like Moana's friend, the ocean – and guests will learn about the importance of the natural water cycle.
  • The Land pavilion's new film, "Awesome Planet," which showcases the beauty, diversity and dynamic story of the planet, will begin welcoming guests in January 2020.

World Discovery

• In World Discovery, stories about science, technology and intergalactic adventure come to life.
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind will be the first "other-world" showcase pavilion at Epcot. The adventure starts in the "Galaxarium," a planetarium-like exhibition that explores the similarities and mysteries of the formation of Earth's galaxy and Xandar. Guests will be invited to learn more about the treasures Xandar has to share – until the moment when the Guardians of the Galaxy arrive, and adventures across the cosmos ensue. The attraction will feature a new innovation from Walt Disney Imagineering – a storytelling coaster that rotates 360 degrees to focus guests on the action, including the first reverse launch on a Disney coaster.
  • An expansion of the Mission: SPACE pavilion, the new restaurant Space 220 will be a culinary experience featuring the celestial panorama of a space station, including daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up. Guests will board a special elevator for a journey to a space station that is home to an incredible dining experience. Along the way, viewports will give guests real-time perspective as they travel high above the planet. Once they arrive, guests will enjoy fantastic meals and drinks while taking in views that are truly out of this world. Opening this winter, Space 220 will be operated by the Patina Restaurant Group.
  • ThePLAY! pavilion will open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World. In this digital metropolis, guests will discover an interactive city bursting with games, activities and experiences that connect them with friends, family and beloved Disney characters – both real and virtual – like never before. As part of this new pavilion, guests will have the chance to help legendary fashion icon Edna Mode on her quest to rid the world of uninspired style, or make a splash competing in a water-balloon fight hosted by Huey, Dewey, Louie and Webby.
Guests will be able to visualize these exciting plans for Epcot when doors open Oct. 1, 2019, for Walt Disney Imagineering presents the Epcot Experiencein the Odyssey Events Pavilion. They will discover engaging and interactive exhibits that showcase the relentless innovation, energy and excitement driving the park's futurethroughout this unprecedented period of transformation.

Epcot's United Kingdom pavilion will welcome the first attraction inspired by Mary Poppins. Guests will step in time down Cherry Tree Lane past Admiral Boom's house, then enter Number 17, home of the Banks family, where their adventure will begin.

In 2020, the new "HarmonioUS" will debut at Epcot as the largest nighttime spectacular ever created for a Disney park. It will celebrate how the music of Disney inspires people the world over, carrying them away harmoniously on a stream of familiar Disney tunes reinterpreted by a diverse group of artists from around the globe. "HarmonioUS" will feature massive floating set pieces, custom-built LED panels, choreographed moving fountains, lights, pyrotechnics, lasers and more.

The new Space 220 restaurant at Epcot will be an out-of-this-world culinary experience with the celestial panorama of a space station, including daytime and nighttime views of Earth from 220 miles up. Opening this winter, Space 220 will be operated by the Patina Group.

The PLAY! pavilion at Epcot will open in time for the 50th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort. In this digital metropolis, guests will discover an interactive city bursting with games, activities and experiences that connect them with friends, family and beloved Disney characters - both real and virtual - like never before.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Cosmic Rewind will be the first "other-world" showcase pavilion at Epcot. The attraction will feature a new storytelling coaster that rotates to focus guests on the action, and will include the first reverse launch on a Disney coaster.

Journey of Water, Inspired by "Moana" at Epcot will be the first experience inspired by the hit Walt Disney Animation Studios film. This lush exploration trail will invite guests to meet and play with magical, living water.

Guests will be able to visualise the exciting plans for Epcot when doors open Oct. 1, 2019, for Walt Disney Imagineering presents the Epcot Experience. They will discover engaging and interactive exhibits that showcase the relentless innovation, energy, and excitement driving the park's future.

©Disney

Edited at 01:30 PM.
Stu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Thanks for the summary of all the changes coming to Epcot, Stu.

I’m still not sold on the names World Nature and World Discovery for the two sides of old Future World though.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Katie C
Imagineer

While part of me will miss the old Epcot I'm excited to see the changes coming.
Was I the only one surprised by the lack of news about Imagination though?
Katie C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by Katie C View Post
I have a theory about that. Since all the things in Innoventions West are closing on Sept 8th, it has been suggested that the character meets will be temporarily housed in the Imagination Pavilion, as the Innoventions West Building is demolished. It would make sense then to leave any work on Imagination until the centre of Epcot is well under way. Just what I think is why nothing has been decided with Imagination

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Aug 19, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
junpit
VIP Dibber

Do we have an idea what might be available in Aug 2020. I'm dreading finding Epcot a building site. It seems they are changing so much so quickly and that always leads to multiple closures.
Saratoga Springs (2013)Marriott Courtyard - LBV (2011)
Clarion Inn - LBV (2009)Quality Inn Plaza x 4 (2002 - 2007)
Best Western Plaza (2000)
junpit is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

Epcot is one of our favourite parks, we love it!
Although I am super excited about all the new and exciting things that are happening I am concerned at the lack of dates.
There is mention of a few opening in 2020 & some are ready for the 50th celebrations but no comments on the rest. How long do you think it will all take?
Will it all look like a building site?
I hope it won’t have the feel of Hollywood Studios when lots of things closed (it seemed like half a park)
Disney do certainly like to take their time lol
Guardians of the galaxy seems to have taken forever to complete, we really can’t wait for that!
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Originally Posted by junpit View Post
Do we have an idea what might be available in Aug 2020. I'm dreading finding Epcot a building site. It seems they are changing so much so quickly and that always leads to multiple closures.
I am also hoping it won’t look like a building site next summer but there does seem to be quite a few things;
The beauty & the beast sing along, this does say that it runs along side the France film, I hope you don’t have to watch the film as well.
The new space 220 restaurant
The ratatouille ride
The firework display
New film in living with the land (I assume this replaces the old Timon & pumbaa ?
New Canada & China films
New restaurant in France
👍🏻👍🏻

Edited at 08:33 AM.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Katie C View Post
I was also surprised that we didn't heard anything about the Imagination pavilion. I was hoping something was going to happen to that pavilion because it really does need a refresh.

Originally Posted by teachx View Post
I have a theory about that. Since all the things in Innoventions West are closing on Sept 8th, it has been suggested that the character meets will be temporarily housed in the Imagination Pavilion, as the Innoventions West Building is demolished. It would make sense then to leave any work on Imagination until the centre of Epcot is well under way. Just what I think is why nothing has been decided with Imagination
Disney did announce what was going to happen to the characters from the Character Spot:
  • Minnie Mouse will move into the World Showcase Gazebo.
  • Daisy Duck will move to The American Adventure.
  • Mickey and Goofy will meet in a temporary Innoventions West area, but with an all new location to be in the Imagination! pavilion.
  • Joy will move to a location TBA.
  • Winnie the Pooh will return to the United Kingdom pavilion, greeting guests at Christopher Robin’s bedroom.
  • Baymax will no longer be greeting guests after his meet and greet closes later this year (although there are rumours he may appear in the PlayPavilion once that is open).

So, yes, Mickey and Goofy will be meeting guests in the Imagination pavilion whilst the rest are spread out across the park.

However, I get the impression this is just a temporary relocation, albeit perhaps for a couple of years. I was still hoping there would be some news regarding the Imagination pavilion in the longer term. I hope it doesn't just turn into a meet'n'greet location.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 09:45 AM  
Link to this Post
Nicksgirl
Imagineer

I like the look of the Space Restaurant.

Can't see any plans for bringing back Horizons...
Econolodge Hawaiian Maingate in its Hey Day ! Villa we won on "Big Breakfast". Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress. POFQ/Sheraton Safari.The wonderful Al Qasr - Dubai. 2008 Luxury and Romance in the wonderful Maldives in a Water Bungalow. 2009 Burj Al Arab/Atlantis/Al Maha.Dubai WOWWIEEE! 2010 5nts Disney's Old Key West/Contemporary./7nts Universals Portofino. 2012 Al Maha Desert Resort & Spa,Dubai and Italy. 2014 -Norfolk, Sirmione Italy, Burj Al Arab/Al Qasr, thank you to my wonderful husband.x
Nicksgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Epcot is one of our favourite parks, we love it!
Although I am super excited about all the new and exciting things that are happening I am concerned at the lack of dates.
It's because it's still early days for many of the things announced. They haven't even started work on them yet - they're still at the design stage. It'll be another 4 years or so before we see some of the things announced.

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
Disney do certainly like to take their time lol
Guardians of the galaxy seems to have taken forever to complete, we really can’t wait for that!
Construction (well, clearance) on the GotG coaster started 2 years ago. It might seem like forever but it's not *that* long. What is perhaps a bit surprising is that it's going to take at least another 18 months to complete. That is quite a long time.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~