Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsDoobyDuck View Post
Do you take both passports with you when you travel or just the one you have used to complete your ESTA?
You will only need the one you are travelling in and the one that has the associated ESTA/Visa for travel.

However, I take both. I use the other one for general Id. if needed.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Husband takes both Irish and British passports. He enters the US on his Irish passport and enters the UK on his British passport. His sister has both Canadian and Uk passports, she does similar.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Posiesmum View Post
Husband takes both Irish and British passports. He enters the US on his Irish passport and enters the UK on his British passport. His sister has both Canadian and Uk passports, she does similar.
But you need to leave the US on the same passport you entered. Otherwise your I94 wont tie up.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
Originally Posted by tspill View Post
But you need to leave the US on the same passport you entered. Otherwise your I94 wont tie up.
Yes, he leaves the US on the Irish passport, but uses the UK one at the immigration gates at Gatwick.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:30 AM  
Link to this Post
LittleKezza
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

I technically hold Irish citizenship (since my dad is Irish) but I have never declared it on an ESTA since I have never 'claimed' it. I am applying for my Irish passport so will have to update my ESTA details once I do have it.
LittleKezza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LittleKezza View Post
I technically hold Irish citizenship (since my dad is Irish) but I have never declared it on an ESTA since I have never 'claimed' it. I am applying for my Irish passport so will have to update my ESTA details once I do have it.
Unless you have claimed it by registering on the foreign births register (and had confirmation of citizenship) then you have nothing to declare and you don’t technically hold Irish Citizenship

You only become a citizen once you register. All you have right now is the right (under current legislation) to register and become a citizen.

If you are already registered as a citizen (but haven’t applied for a passport) then you should still declare your citizenship on the ESTA form.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:46 AM  
Link to this Post
LittleKezza
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

I don't believe I have to register on the foreign births as I am already recognised as a citizen (according to the passport form) are you saying I don't have to declare it until I have 'claimed it's by applying for my passport?
LittleKezza is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

I don't believe I have to register on the foreign births as I am already recognised as a citizen (according to the passport form) are you saying I don't have to declare it until I have 'claimed it's by applying for my passport?
citizensinformation.ie/e...r_descent.html

If you were born outside of Ireland you need to register, if you were born on the Island of Ireland you don’t.
swintonowl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

well, as always with ESTA questions, it's just a case of reading them (and if necessary the question mark next to the form field)

what does the question say :

Are you now, a citizen or national of any other country?

you said you are recognized as a Citizen of Ireland ...

selecting yes will open a new dropdown menu to select how you acquired that Citizenship (through parents, by naturalisation, by birth or other case)

the question doesn't ask, at that point, if you hold a passport, but only if you are a citizen of another country

you should answer the question as it is very simply put, and not answer the second guessings
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
LittleKezza
Trading Disney Pins

Mobile

"If either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in Ireland, then you are automatically an Irish citizen, irrespective of your place of birth."

That's me. So I should probably say I am an Irish Citizen!