Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 5 Nov 19, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

Celebrating Retirement Tour October 2019 Day 6 - Adventures in Public Transport - Cabrillo Monument

Woke up to quite a misty morning today but decided to still venture up to the Cabrillo Monument in the hope that the mist would clear. We had visited here 14 years ago with our two boys and we had all been blown away by the spectacular views and had been desperate to return.

As we are only picking up the hire car tomorrow we had to plan the route using public transport so I wasn't sure how that would work out as it was a trolley and 2 buses each way. We needn't have worried. $6 for an all day ticket, Trolley to Old Town, bus no 28 To Shelter Island and then bus no 84 to Cabrillo. Easy peasy, all worked well, very efficient service 👍

Well, what can I say other than everyone needs to see this viewpoint at least once in their lives. Wow, just wow. The pictures really don't do it justice, I will admit to having a lump in my throat. Sent a picture to my eldest son to see if he remembered the view and he replied saying that he still thinks about that view on a weekly basis even now

The most scenic bus stop I've ever seen

We ended up staying there for a good few hours wandering round, we really couldn't tear ourselves away.

Return journey went just as smoothly, but we stayed on the trolley until Gaslamp Quarter as we wanted to eat in Union Kitchen. I ordered Avocado Toast and Brian ordered Blackened Chicken Wrap and both were delicious. Bill came to $48 including tip and drinks. Highly recommended 😋

We were shattered by now so caught the trolley back to Santa Fe Station to head back to the hotel. We certainly had our $6 of public transport today 😁

Previous Days can be found here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...5#post14147445

Edited at 07:14 PM.
Fireworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 09:22 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Isn’t it amazing . I used to visit SPAWAR regularly and the view from their staff restaurant was mesmerising - a view one can never tire from
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Stan1805
Serious Dibber

Mobile

We are planning a retirement trip for May 2020 and our plan is to start in Vegas then fly to San Diego pick up our hire car and stay for 4 nights before stating our road trip. Reading your report I’m now wondering if we should forget about a car in San Diego. This will be our first visit so unlike you we are not familiar with the area. Coincidentally the hotel we have been looking at is Best Western plus Bayside. Would be grateful for your thoughts on this.
Stan1805 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Nov 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Stan1805 View Post
We are planning a retirement trip for May 2020 and our plan is to start in Vegas then fly to San Diego pick up our hire car and stay for 4 nights before stating our road trip. Reading your report I’m now wondering if we should forget about a car in San Diego. This will be our first visit so unlike you we are not familiar with the area. Coincidentally the hotel we have been looking at is Best Western plus Bayside. Would be grateful for your thoughts on this.
We loved the Best Western Plus Bayside Inn, would definitely stay there again, its in a great location close to the waterfront and just round the corner from Little Italy which has great restaurants and bars. You are also just round the corner from Santa Fe Railway station to catch the trolley (train). Public transport is really cheap, you can get a $6 pass to use all day on trolleys and buses. The Information Centre on the waterfront near the cruise terminal gave us great advice and maps on using public transport so well worth a visit there if you are unsure. It is also only a 10 minute care ride to the airport to pick up a hire car when you leave, which is what we did, and the Best Western even has a free minibus to take you to the airport.

We have been to San Diego 3 times now, and for the last two we haven't had a hire car and managed fine. When we went in 2017 we bought a two day Old Town Trolley tour ticket, which is like a hop on hop off bus which is great for getting your bearings, and goes to Coronado, Balbao Park (and the zoo), Old Town and downtown San Diego. This last time we just used public transport and it was great - ferry to Coronado, trolley (which is like a local train, not to be confused with the Old Town trolley buses) and bus.

Hope that helps.
Fireworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jan 20, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TractorBoy
Imagineer

TractorBoy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Totally agree about Carbillo. The views are to die for.

We were there last year on Fathers Day so stopped off at the cemetery overlooking the naval base. It brought a lump to the throat but glad we did it!
Old 10 Jan 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by TractorBoy View Post
Totally agree about Carbillo. The views are to die for.

We were there last year on Fathers Day so stopped off at the cemetery overlooking the naval base. It brought a lump to the throat but glad we did it!
I got very emotional on the drive up there on the bus, the first glimpse of the view brought tears to my eyes, it's a really special place to us
Old 18 Feb 20, 04:45 PM  
Link to this Post
LLKJDisney
VIP Dibber

LLKJDisney's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I loved Cabrillo and of course got my Top Gun fix with Vipers House (great shot of that!)
LLKJDisney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List