Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 17 Jan 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Perhaps you could looking at the dining options and where you think you will use your credits and make a decision on that basis.
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
emmafleur
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

It would also depend how friendly you are with the other couple and if you might need a break from each other at times? Being in the 2-bed at SSR sounds good but what if you all want to use the bathroom at the same time? Or one family wants to sleep in or stay up late and the other family have different ideas? It might be a good idea to have the two separate rooms at AKL to give you all some downtime from each other and you’ll have the club lounge to meet up in when you want. I’ve been twice with family and two weeks together in the same villa (OKW) was just about as much as we could manage 😂
emmafleur is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:41 AM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

I've stayed at both- and I'm returning to AKL. There will obviously be more room in the 2 bed, but less privacy. I really didn't like the buses at SSR - one day it took half an hour picking up before we'd even left SSR. AKL was amazing, it really has the wow factor. We had a standard room , but still got a partial Savannah view, and it was fantastic. Refurbished room too. Club level will ge amazing - my advice is stay where you are, you will not be disappointed.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 02:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I think in view of that information, I would stick to AKL.
I was about to quote the exact same thing as Claudette (your feelings about SSR) and say the exact same thing about it. If it doesn’t excite you, then it shouldn’t be an option at all. AKL club level savannah room was our second choice after Beach Club, and it looks amazing for children. I would definitely stick with that.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

No concerns about all sharing accommodation at SSR, we've holidayed together at other places on a similar basis and everyone gets on well. We're all sharing a villa for the second week.

However I think I'm leaning towards just sticking with AKL this morning. The extra cost of the tips is a major factor (esp as a party of 6), and I'd like to try somewhere new.

I think I get carried away reading food reports during my research, and there are so many places I want to try! Having DxDDP would be an easy solution, meaning the foodies would be happy and the little one would get to do lots of character meals. BUT ultimately - the tips Just need to keep reminding myself of that...
VicStar is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by VicStar View Post
No concerns about all sharing accommodation at SSR, we've holidayed together at other places on a similar basis and everyone gets on well. We're all sharing a villa for the second week.

However I think I'm leaning towards just sticking with AKL this morning. The extra cost of the tips is a major factor (esp as a party of 6), and I'd like to try somewhere new.

I think I get carried away reading food reports during my research, and there are so many places I want to try! Having DxDDP would be an easy solution, meaning the foodies would be happy and the little one would get to do lots of character meals. BUT ultimately - the tips Just need to keep reminding myself of that...
I never really understand why on the dibb there is such focus on tips, budget for tips etc.. It is a the tiniest fraction of the holiday cost, I have never given it a second thought. It definitely would not come into the decision of whether to upgrade to deluxe or not (and I have twice).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

I do get what you're saying Claudette, (I've may have been trying to work out how much we'd need for tips ) I just keep thinking of all the other little 'extras' that are already creeping into the budget, that I hadn't originally taken into account when pricing this all up.

We've already gone for Club Level rooms, added the full Dining plan, and upgraded flights home. Then we've thrown in Discovery Cove and an airboat ride as some of the party have never done those before, and 2 people would also quite like to do a surfing lesson at TL. I'm conscious that this isn't only my money that I'd be spending, if that makes sense. The budget is being stretched beyond all recognition already lol.

Really appreciate both sides of the argument, and I'm not fully committed I must admit.
Old 18 Jan 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

I find AKL just as dark as SSR and don't rate either of them highly. If I had to choose it would be AKL as SSR is rather boring in comparison. We found that SSR was full of rather tired DVC members some of whom seemed to be just going through the motions rather than making the most of a really fun holiday.
Pinchy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Quartz
Excited about Disney

With a child I would stick to where you are particularly with club level and the dining plan you had should give you the majority of the character meals

Regarding rooms being together if you booked together you definitely should be - we got upgraded at Beach Club because they put rooms far apart!
Quartz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
VicStar
VIP Dibber

Thanks everyone, we've decided to stay at AKL. We'll do 2 signature meals to please the foodies, and 1 character meal for the little one. I'll do a Touring Plans room request for 4th floor neighbouring rooms, thinking Kudu trail area? I've not stayed at a Disney Club Level before so quite looking forward to that