Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 20, 08:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Goofy's Buddy
Excited about Disney

Mobile Anxiety in teens

We are due to fly on 2nd Feb. DD is 15 and suffers with anxiety. Is there anything I can buy over the counter to calm her down before the flight? We have used the spray on the tongue before now and she was sick for the entire flight! She is already stressing about it and I am worried about her and us! She is fine in the air its just getting her on and then up! Any advice would be appreciated.
Goofy's Buddy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkermom
Apprentice Imagineer

How about trying some breathing techniques instead, some mindfulness can be incredibly helpful (you can download various apps to help with this)

Or if you’re really worried have a chat with your GP. Good luck
Old 21 Jan 20, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
floridasgirl
Imagineer

Get her a sunflower lanyard for the airport. Staff will be aware she may need extra help. We have always been asked whether we want to board first or last when dd has had hers on. You can go through the fast track security as well which will save queuing.
DD isn't anxious about flying but gets very anxious in busy crowds so it's the airport that causes us an issue!
Christmas/New Year 1999/2000 Indian Ridge Villa, May 2001 Fort Lauderdale /I Drive/Port Charlotte/Key West/Miami, May 2005 Westhaven Villa, April 2006 Rotunda Villa/Highlands Reserve Villa, June 2007 Sanibel Villa/Grand Cypress Villas, Christmas/New Year 2010/2011 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa, July/Aug 2012 reunion resort villa, Nov 2012 new York new York!
floridasgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy's Buddy
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
Get her a sunflower lanyard for the airport. Staff will be aware she may need extra help. We have always been asked whether we want to board first or last when dd has had hers on. You can go through the fast track security as well which will save queuing.
DD isn't anxious about flying but gets very anxious in busy crowds so it's the airport that causes us an issue!
How do we get one of these?
Goofy's Buddy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I don’t know what’s in them but Kwells worked for my little boy. He had one before take off and he was asleep before we got to the end of the runway.
We also play the grounding game.
Which I’ll post a picture of here. It really helps him.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy's Buddy
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I perhaps should explain that she does have a counsellor and has calming exercises to do but she is already working herself up into a state about flying. She has been under CAMHS etc. It is genuine not just an awkward teen! She is having a particularly difficult time at the moment as my Dad has dementia and she struggles with that a lot. We have to keep her away as much as possible. Thanks for the advice.
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:53 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

You can buy a sunflower lanyard from here:

hiddendisabilitiesstore/products-19.html

We’ve used the spray to good effect with my son, but Bach’s Remedies also do pastilles if they might help your daughter? Try them first before you go?
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

I use a rollon its under 50ml so can be taken on the plane , I just use it on my wrists and it is amazing for me with anxiety. I tried it as was suffering from anxiety /panic and it calms me down (maybe be psychological but works for me)

amazon/Puressentie...4-8bb29c1a431f
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Goofy's Buddy
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Picked up a sunflower lanyard from Tesco tonight - gonna try some Kalms before we go and order the wrist roll on - thanks for the advice.
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
boltyboy
Imagineer

boltyboy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

DS who is now 18 suffers badly from anxiety, back 2015 we were on route from Gatwick to Orlando and he had a panic attack and passed out. He came round a few minutes later and was given oxygen, the colour had completely drained from him the captain nearly diverted us to Shannon but we landed safely in Orlando. We managed to get him to come back with us in 2018 with loads of coaxing, but to be honest the flights there and back were completely draining for DW and I we vowed never again. Come to this year he decided he couldn't put us or himself through it again so is staying at home. We will miss him coming but we are so much more chilled about this year's visit , DS 2 is gutted his brother isn't coming but knows we will have fun. I can't offer any advice but I hope you all manage to get through it and have a great holiday.

2020 canceled - 2018 - 2015- 2012 - 2004 - 1998 - 1995 - 1993
Has it really been 8 years? - Trip Index
August 2015-Trip Index
boltyboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List