Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 31 Mar 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kzrr02
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Even people who have travelled on new ESTAs without middle names have reported having no problems. Thread here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=Esta
Thanks for the link . Both DH and I don’t have middle names, just DS x
kzrr02 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Mar 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Nobody seems to definitively know when the US introduced this update, which can be found within the ? to the side of the question re given name, unfortunately whilst applicants tick to say they've read the application those who've completed the form don't hover over the ?'s for further/updated info.

Currently it appears this update is not being enforced, the concern may rear it's head if the US advise airlines ESTA and pp names (as shown in the pp chevrons) must match. Will that happen, and when? Only the US know.
Old 31 Mar 19, 07:17 PM  
Link to this Post
signtalker
Imagineer

Like you I did exactly the same, after reading threads on here , I thought that I’d leave it and that my esta would be fine.
Then the doubt started to set in, what if I got to the airport and they wouldn’t let me board etc etc.
So I emailed the cbp website ( esta enquires) , and received a response that the esta must be exactly as your name appears on your passport.
Okay so many days of thinking nah I’ll be okay, I finally relented and redid our Estas for the sake of roughly £20 and my piece of mind.

Like others said above at first it wouldn’t take my middle name on the form, and kept telling me to correct the mistake, what you have to do is put your middle name in, then delete it when it says it’s wrong, and then go to a different screen, then go back and it adds it, a bit of a faff, but it will do it.

I’m sure I would have Been fine on my old Estas ( purchased in December last year). But my nerves wouldn’t hold out

Jules
signtalker is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 03:43 AM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by loves2plan View Post
Even people who have travelled on new ESTAs without middle names have reported having no problems. Thread here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...highlight=Esta
Hiya l2p, as ESTA accepted first name only for so long I appreciate some may be unconcerned, but with the US enforcing 'no instant ESTA', application must be no later than 72 hours pre-flight; if denied boarding due to ESTA/PP name discrepancy this may cause ESTA re-application issues at the airport, as per a Dibber last year. Unaware his bairns ESTA had expired, he made successful application at the airport but, per the 72 hour rule, US confirmation wasn't instantly sent to airline; boarding denied. Eventually the airline rang the US, they agreed to ESTA confirm, but not in time. Whilst he'd sent remaining family on their flight he/bairn missed it. They were transferred to a later flight that day costing c£1600.

As only the US know if/when they'll enforce ESTA/PP name(s) match it's individual choice whether to re-apply.
Old 2 Apr 19, 06:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

I'm one of the people that applied just after the new "middle name" rule came into force, i think it was some time in October it was updated. We haven't travelled yet and are some 140 days away from doing so but i didn't put our middle names in either and id be very surprised if they enforce this rule until 2 years after they started asking for it as people will still have old estas which didn't require middle names. I think it would be very hard to police until then.
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBigdog
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I did both mine and husbands estas in mid October with just our first names. We flew to New York in Feb and all was fine. Dh even has 2 middle names and everything was ok.
MrsBigdog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Apr 19, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

If\when enforced I'm guessing the airline may police; check_in swipe pp, names don't ESTA correspond, travel document discrepancy, which I appreciate may read lame for a missing second/other middle names, but it's US rules, chances are pax will be refused boarding and a fully completed ESTA required, with the enforced 72 hour ESTA rule that's when problems may arise. As many were/remain unaware of the updated name question it may be enforcement could begin just as quietly.

I'm passing this latest update onto family and friends (per Mole, if they do, I wonder if they won't enforce until late 2020, none know bar the US), it's a risk we'd be unwilling to take, but each to their own
Old 3 Apr 19, 07:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Mole83
Serious Dibber

Im torn now whether to just re-apply with our middle names, I think the chances of us not being allowed in are slim, but do i want to risk my 5k holiday for the sake of an extra £40. My DW says to wait till after Brexit to see what happens, im not sure what shes on about TBH as i doubt that will affect ESTAs.
Mole83 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

From what I understand a lot of people in the US use unofficial middle names, such as their maiden name, which don't show on official documentation. Therefore the crackdown to exactly match the passport makes sense.

I've not read of anyone being refused entry for just putting their first name, however I redid mine just to be sure as $14 seemed a little amount to stop mw worrying.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Mallky555
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I renewed our estas just after xmas did not put middle names and travelled to New York with no issues at all x
Mallky555 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List