Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 8 Jan 20, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Cyprus - Any recommendations?

We are looking go somewhere in the autumn and wondered about Cyprus.

Anyone got any recommendations about which part of the island is best and any hotel/ villa/ apartments recommendations?

Thanks in advance x
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Bigkitty266
Apprentice Imagineer

Paphos has more history and places to see and visit, and I feel is larger.

Ayia napa/protaras side has better beaches clear sea and golden sands.

We have been to lots of other places but never stayed.

My vote would be for Paphos x

Edited at 11:11 PM.
Bigkitty266 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:15 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Apart from the wedding parties there, this is a very nice all inclusive:

They also have one Paphos but not been to that one but meant to be good:

Edited at 11:25 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We like protaras in Cyprus been there twice and once to Paphos and wasn’t that keen on Paphos, fig tree bay beach is lovely. The people and food are lovely too
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

I used to live there and have returned on several occasions. It is a wonderful, large Island that many have visited, but few have seen the best .. or even much of. It depends on what you seek and what your age is. It also depends on whether you intend driving. (They drive on the left side like we do).

If you want good sand, nightlife, Alcohol and a Magaluf type atmosphere, then Ayia Napa is for you, particularly Nissi Beach.. The best beach on the Greek side of the Island along with Makronisos.

If you want it busy, but not quite as manic and want to lie on the beach, then Protaras might suit. Fig tree Bay is particularly nice.

Both of the above are close together on the East side of the Island.

If you want a bit of History, a busy resort but not quite the same beach quality, then Paphos could be for you. Much more gentile than Protaras or Ayia Napa.

Now my personal fave.. A villa or similar in Old town Pissouri or the new resort of Aphrodite Hills inland of it... and a car hire to take in the area. You get...

Old town Pissouri and the newer, beachside area below with more restaurants etc.
A very, very long beach all the way to and beyond Bloodhound Rock, Vineyards and stuff. Not great quality sand, but pretty deserted.
The Ancient Kurion, a Roman hilltop ruined town with an amphitheatre and chariot track (like in Ben It is very big!
The Knights Crusader fort, Kolossi Castle
The Akrotiri Peninsula Orange groves
The Akrotiri salt flats with Flamingos (in season).
The birthplace of Aphrodite.
A drive through the Sovereign Base area Episkopi to Limassol, a major City. (20 miles).
A drive to Pathos (20 miles).
Turtles on the Akamus peninsula.
A drive to the only UN divided city in Europe, Nicosia (50 miles through the beautiful Troodos mountains).
A drive up the Troodus to Mount Olympus and/or the tomb of Archbishop Makarios.

I believe that you will find that most, if not all of the above is in season in September, fruit and all.

The question you must ask is whether you want a beach holiday with Brit pubs, Irish bars, Drunkenness and stuff.. or whether you want to see real Cyprus with its culture, great local (think Greek) food, wine, friendly people and Keo beer. Real Cyprus looks nothing like Ayia Napa or Protaras. They are simply tourist enclaves.. like Orlando!

You can guess where my own personal preferences lie!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:54 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jan 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

If going to Pissouri check it out before you go. There has been a nasty landside, we couldn't get down to the beach or the café when we went just before Christmas. The upper village was ok though. Hopefully it will be all sorted by autumn.
Old 9 Jan 20, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
If going to Pissouri check it out before you go. There has been a nasty landside, we couldn't get down to the beach or the café when we went just before Christmas. The upper village was ok though. Hopefully it will be all sorted by autumn.
Hello, Greek Granny. I spent two wonderful years in Dhekelia as an aircraft technician at 16 Flt. Our former hangar is now I believe, the prison.

Me in Cyprus at Bloodhound Rock.. In 1981.. when I had hair! The ‘halo’ is the Red Arrows doing their pre season work up from Akrotiri.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 12:10 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jan 20, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Hello, Greek Granny. I spent two wonderful years in Dhekelia as an aircraft technician at 16 Flt. Our former hangar is now I believe, the prison.
We love Cyprus, have been going to Paphos and Latsi for the last 20yrs. The entrance to the Mosaics was still a 5 drachma raffle ticket! EU money has a lot to answer for, not all good! I think we have covered most of the places you have mentioned, it really is a beautiful island.
Old 9 Jan 20, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
We love Cyprus - the people are friendly, weather fab (though we don't go summer months) and the food is fantastic. We like Ayia Napa and its environs, but that is because we don't go during the summer, so don't see any of the party scene. As you said you were thinking of an autumn break, it would be similar for you too. The weather will still be warm (my parents are there from mid September to end October and then again a couple of weeks in December and the weather is sunny, mid - high 20s, sometimes windy though. We are going again this Easter and can't wait. We haven't been to Paphos before but hope to take a day trip there this time as DD is flying in to Paphos airport.
Old 9 Jan 20, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post

Me in Cyprus at Bloodhound Rock.. In 1981.. when I had hair! The ‘halo’ is the Red Arrows doing their pre season work up from Akrotiri.
Great photo. We spent a good afternoon watching the Red Arrows practising their new routines from Akrotiri.