Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 26 Jan 20, 05:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by legallyblonde View Post
I don’t think you are comparing apples with apples here though in terms of the level of job. I certainly don’t work 9-5 and most people of that level won’t either. I suppose just like people have mis-conceptions about teachers (which you have righted here in this discussion), teachers also probably have mis-conceptions about other careers. Everyone always thinks the grass is greener I suppose!

Posiesmum - yes, I think that reward surely makes it all worthwhile.
In my post it clearly states that my sister used to be a Sales manager, one of my cousins works as a DBA now my sister in law used to be an HR manger they all think being a teacher is tougher than their work in the private sector. Please don’t think that they don’t prefer teaching the satisfaction they get is far greater.

Can I ask what you do for a living ?
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
In my post it clearly states that my sister used to be a Sales manager, one of my cousins works as a DBA now my sister in law used to be an HR manger they all think being a teacher is tougher than their work in the private sector. Please don’t think that they don’t prefer teaching the satisfaction they get is far greater.

I was referring to May’s post about the comparison with hours.

I think you can probably guess what I do for a living. 😬

Edited at 09:05 AM.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
Originally Posted by orlandonewbie View Post
The problem with that comparison is that it compares one person’s basic/minimum hours with another’s real hours, including all extras. That isn’t realistic or fair.
I suppose the problem is that what is listed in the nominal teacher's 50 hours doesn't include 'extras' What could be taken out? It is honestly broadly what is needed to run a modern primary classroom. 'Extras' are listed below and uncounted. This comparison is a few years old. I have noticed that his extras figures don't include my personal demon, data collation (shudders).

The nominal person on 37.5 hours may do compulsory, unpaid work on a regular basis but they would need to do about 12.5 hours of that a week, about 1.5 extra working days to equal the teachers pretty basic 50.

I know it's counter intuitive, it doesn't fit with the general picture but it is very broadly the truth.
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
MrFish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

When I come home from work my work has ended, unlike my wife who is a teacher. I have never seen anybody work so hard and be so consumed by a job outside of 'working hours'. Some days she hardly gets time to eat or drink during the day. The amount of work she is expected to do is ridiculous, it actually stresses me out watching her do it at home.

I have worked in various cushy public sector roles all my life but not all public sector roles are equal. Teachers are way overworked compared to the average public sector worker.

Luckily she has moved to part time now which allows me to take the kids out of school for a few days every year at the end of holidays, saving me some serious money.
MrFish is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post

I think if you have had a previous occupation before becoming a teacher, you soon realise how demanding being a teacher is and just how many ‘extra’ hours work you complete in a week that I definitely didn’t do as a Management Accountant.

Being a newly qualified teacher, I work every evening Monday-Thursday for usually 2 hours, can be more depending on the teaching week, and about 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Without the wonderful job satisfaction, you simply wouldn’t do the job for either the money or the hours. I have the utmost respect for nurses and doctors, who I think are more comparable occupational comparisons, who work so many hours.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
I think if you have had a previous occupation before becoming a teacher, you soon realise how demanding being a teacher is and just how many ‘extra’ hours work you complete in a week that I definitely didn’t do as a Management Accountant.

Being a newly qualified teacher, I work every evening Monday-Thursday for usually 2 hours, can be more depending on the teaching week, and about 4 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Without the wonderful job satisfaction, you simply wouldn’t do the job for either the money or the hours. I have the utmost respect for nurses and doctors, who I think are more comparable occupational comparisons, who work so many hours.
I think that would depend on what your role was before the conversion to be honest.

Seriously not saying it’s not stressful or a lot of hours, but I think comparing it to a doctor is a stretch too far to be honest!

What I am saying is that it does have perks which are undeniable. Whether teachers think the stress is worth that on balance, is a matter for the individual I suppose. Honest question hopefully for an honest answer - how are the 13 weeks holiday utilised by teachers?

Edited at 10:12 AM.
legallyblonde is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Hooray4Disney
Imagineer

Hooray4Disney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
That’s a fair comment but I was not comparing teacher to doctor - they work so many more hours under much more stress. I think the point I was trying to make was that working iin the public sector has been more demanding for me than when I worked in the private sector.

October half-term - I spent three days marking two classes of C11 Mock papers (3 papers for each student) and two classes of C10 end of unit assessments (1 paper) - once marked, each Mark for each question for each paper is then inputted into spreadsheets - I then analyse the weak areas to add to my planning for starters for the following term.

I also start planning lessons for the new units of work.

I also take home the students books to mark so that it makes the first week back to school, a little less tiring.

In Feb and April holidays, we are running revision sessions for the C11 and C10 students. C11 will also be sitting another full set of Mocks before the Easter holidays that will again be marked over the holidays.

I think the only real holiday I enjoy is the Summer holiday, where I can completely switch off for five weeks. Week six - back into school to sort out the classroom displays, corridor displays and student data for the new classes being taught in September.
2002 - Hampton Lakes, WDW. 2003 - Westridge Villas, WDW. 2005, 2008, 2011 Formosa Blvd, WDW. 2010, 2013 Hotel Cheyenne, DLP. 2014 OKW/Westridge, WDW. 2015 - NYC, DCA & Rotonda West. 2016 - Hotel Kyriad, DLP. 2016 - Toronto 2017 - OKW, Bahama Bay & The Keys 2018 - Vegas, Yellowstone, San Francisco, L.A. 2018 DLP - Hotel B&B 2019 - Lake Berkeley, WDW. 2022 - Seattle/Hawaii
Hooray4Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
legallyblonde
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Hooray4Disney View Post
That’s a fair comment but I was not comparing teacher to doctor - they work so many more hours under much more stress. I think the point I was trying to make was that working iin the public sector has been more demanding for me than when I worked in the private sector.

October half-term - I spent three days marking two classes of C11 Mock papers (3 papers for each student) and two classes of C10 end of unit assessments (1 paper) - once marked, each Mark for each question for each paper is then inputted into spreadsheets - I then analyse the weak areas to add to my planning for starters for the following term.

I also start planning lessons for the new units of work.

I also take home the students books to mark so that it makes the first week back to school, a little less tiring.

In Feb and April holidays, we are running revision sessions for the C11 and C10 students. C11 will also be sitting another full set of Mocks before the Easter holidays that will again be marked over the holidays.

I think the only real holiday I enjoy is the Summer holiday, where I can completely switch off for five weeks. Week six - back into school to sort out the classroom displays, corridor displays and student data for the new classes being taught in September.
Thanks for your honest answer and I think the upshot of that is that it’s no different to other comparable roles save for you may get a week or two more holiday across the year. I suppose as well that time management has a lot to do with it and that some teachers will be better than others at doing that.
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I’m sure when the OP asked the question they didn’t expect or need a debate about how hard teachers work. They work hard. So do many other people in all kinds of professions. All this debating is irrelevant to the original question.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 20, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
may
Apprentice Imagineer

may's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 10
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
I’m sure when the OP asked the question they didn’t expect or need a debate about how hard teachers work. They work hard. So do many other people in all kinds of professions. All this debating is irrelevant to the original question.
That's absolutely true but it arose organically from the original question and it's being conducted in a spirit of genuinely respectful enquiry on both sides. Consequently , while those uninterested may find it rather boring it isn't actually hurting anyone ?
may is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List