Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Jan 20, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

How long before flight?

Just figuring out what’s best to do about hotels the night before our flight. We fly from Manchester at 9:20am, and I understand we need to have checked in and be ready to go through security by 7:20am. How early should we arrive to allow time to find our way through the airport, check in, and make our way to security?

Can you tell I haven’t flown for over 20 years, and even then I wasn’t the one responsible for timings etc?!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025

Edited at 11:24 AM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Rachhh
Proud to wear my Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
Just figuring out what’s best to do about hotels the night before our flight. We fly from Manchester at 9:20am, and I understand we need to have checked in and be ready to go through security by 7:20am. How early should we allow time to find our way through the airport, check in, and make our way to security?

Can you tell I haven’t flown for over 20 years, and even then I wasn’t the one responsible for timings etc?!
It’s generally recommend that you are at the airport 3 hours before the scheduled departure time for long haul. So I’d aim to be at check in for 6:20am. But then I am an overly cautious person who would rather be 1 hour early than 1 hour late
Rachhh is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 11:25 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Thanks - if there’s any chance at all that it will take us an hour to get through the airport to security, then we will definitely be there at 6:20am. I’m not taking any chances on missing that flight!
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We use twighlight check in the night before and they take your mobile number for any problems, if youre flying with virgin you can do this.
If so we give ourselves two hours and this still seems too long, all you have to do is go through security and walk to your date
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 20, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Elodie View Post
Just figuring out what’s best to do about hotels the night before our flight. We fly from Manchester at 9:20am, and I understand we need to have checked in and be ready to go through security by 7:20am. How early should we arrive to allow time to find our way through the airport, check in, and make our way to security?

If you are flying down to London first then two hours is fine, if you are flying straight to Orlando then I would allow a minimum of three hours. I tend to be overly cautious and have been known to turn up earlier than that if I know the check in desks will be open (e.g. BA will be open most of the time).
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
We use twighlight check in the night before and they take your mobile number for any problems, if youre flying with virgin you can do this.
If so we give ourselves two hours and this still seems too long, all you have to do is go through security and walk to your date
Rob
We’re with Lufthansa and I believe they only offer twilight check in at certain German airports. I think we’ll allow three hours in total.
Old 20 Jan 20, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
If you are flying down to London first then two hours is fine, if you are flying straight to Orlando then I would allow a minimum of three hours. I tend to be overly cautious and have been known to turn up earlier than that if I know the check in desks will be open (e.g. BA will be open most of the time).
We’re flying to Frankfurt, then Orlando, so I think we’d best allow three hours.
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Price a hotel at the airport if you aren't already booked.

Manchester can be very busy, well they all can, and some of the gates are a long walk from the security
Old 20 Jan 20, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
dreamadream
Imagineer

I would definitely look at staying over night. All it takes is one unexpected road closure on your journey or a car issue and you miss your flight. This happened to us years ago.
We always stay over night now, drop the bags the night before, relaxed dinner, and extra time in bed before a long flight day.
dreamadream is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jan 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
thefourDs
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We fly from London airports, if we are advised 3 hours then we get there 3 earlier. I don’t really see the point in not listening to the advice given by the travel agent, imagine getting caught in a huge line at security or something happening causing a delay and you missing your flight, not worth the risk!
thefourDs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List