Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 21 Jan 20, 12:08 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

We did a week in Toronto/niagara, then flew to Calgary and did two weeks road trip in the rockies. Stayed in Canmore (cheaper than Banff), lake Louise, and jasper. So much to do there, and so beautiful in the summer.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

We've done a couple mixing Canada and the USA.

Trip 1 - Toronto, Niagara, Scranton, New York City, Boston, Ottawa, Toronto.

Trip 2 - Montreal, Albany, Long Island (Montauk), Philadelphia, Washington DC, Niagara, Blue Mountain, Toronto.
Old 21 Jan 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
tapley
Apprentice Imagineer

We have done many road trips in US and enjoyed them all. Our favourites have been a round trip from Boston taking in Portland and Road Island. Last years was Washington, Skyline Drive, Blue Ridge Mountains, Williamsburg, Chincoteague and Annapolis.( if you want to visit the naval academy they won’t accept any ID but passports for foreign visitors). Living in Devon the travel to US from Bristol with TUI helps so doing St Augustine, Charlestone and Savannah and the mountains plus Florida panhandle was good.
Brian

Edited at 05:38 PM.
tapley is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 20, 12:31 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Some great ideas here. My favourite trip was Seattle to San Francisco (which I would do rather than the opposite direction), closely followed as runner up by New England last year. Both trip reports are in my signature.
This year we are doing Vancouver, Vancouver Island, Olympic National Park, Oregon Coast, Portland, Seattle and back to Vancouver. Train from Seattle to Vancouver.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Myakka17
VIP Dibber

My issue with New England is will it feel like being in the US? My problem with Canada, as lovely as it seems is that it’s not the US so maybe covering the 2 would be an option. I just love the feel I get when in the US( don’t get it anywhere else) that I’d fear missing that if I just visited Canada.
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lell
Imagineer

Lell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We are doing another road trip this year. We are doing Boston, Cape Cod, stopping off somewhere on the way to Quebec City, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Niagara Falls, Geneva, Saratoga Springs and back to Boston.
DLP (Disney Explorers) Sep 2004, DLP (Sequoia Lodge) Sep 2007, Disney CSR/Universal RPR Oct 2010, Disney AKL Oct 2012, Doubletree by Hilton at Seaworld Oct 2014, West Coast Road Trip 2017, Florida Road Trip 2018, West Coast Road Trip 2019, East Coast/Canada Road trip 2022, National Parks Road Trip 2023
Lell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 03:06 AM  
Link to this Post
sunshines
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
My issue with New England is will it feel like being in the US?
I guess that depends on what you want to "feel." New England prides itself on being "old" America with a heavy emphasis on colonial culture from the 1600s and 1700s with many ties to that area's Native American culture. Of course it is also the section of the US that reminds us most of England! Ha!

The US has so many cultures within: southern (southeast), out west, midwest, great plains, California (its own culture), southwest... one could go on. Maybe pick your favourite flavour and then focus your "road trip" there?

(My favourite is NYC. Can you tell? )

Edited at 03:08 AM.
sunshines is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
neilhd
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Myakka17 View Post
My issue with New England is will it feel like being in the US? My problem with Canada, as lovely as it seems is that it’s not the US so maybe covering the 2 would be an option. I just love the feel I get when in the US( don’t get it anywhere else) that I’d fear missing that if I just visited Canada.
Canada feels a LOT like the US in many ways. The roads, buildings, cars, restaurants, accents etc.

In many ways the people are friendlier and the service is better. Of course in Quebec there's a lot of French-speaking too. Canada is fantastic, frankly. I'd go back any time - I love going there just as much as the US.
Old 23 Jan 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We research these to death (and have executed several). We are not adverse to AMTRAC for parts of any journey or internal flights if it works better.

We have done...
Fly in to Pensacola and go West to Mobile Alabama (USS Alabama) before then heading back for Destin, Panama,Tampa, Orlando (1200 miles). There are awesome beaches up on the Panhandle.

Fly into Tampa, then Venice, Naples, Duck Key, Key West and then back to Miami. This can be added to or incorporated with parts of the Pensacola one.

Fly into NY then AMTRAC to Washington before a drive down to Florida.

Fly into Boston, AMTRAC to NY, Fly to Dayton OH, drive to Cincinatti, Fly to Orlando, drive via Naples to Miami and then home. (See Trip report in signature).

Fly into SFO then drive Monterey, San Luis Obispo, Valencia, Anaheim, San Diego, Long Beach, Santa Monica, then home (know that you don’t want this, but trip report in my signature).

This Easter is...

Fly to SFO, drive Monterey, San Luis Obispo, fly to Seattle then drive to Vancouver then home.

In detailed planning and to be executed in next 5 years ...

a. Fly to Boston in late summer then drive N to take in all of the small states, Vermont etc before then striking West to Buffalo (Niagara Falls), Detroit, Chicago, then home. 1500 miles give or take.

b. Fly in to gorgeous San Diego then strike East to take Grand Canyon (go N E), Tombstone (go SE) Davis Monthan, Austin etc and various other points before concluding in New Orleans and flying home. 2700 miles for all or 2000 miles excluding Grand Canyon. If you flyfrom San Diego to LV or even start at LV rather than San Diego, you can do it in 1700 miles.

My ultimate aim in the coming years is to take in as many US states as possible, before age (and Insurance) make it too difficult.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:16 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List