Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Nov 18, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Spectacles - buy in Orlando?

Two of my little darlings have new prescriptions for eyewear but they have not found anything they like thus far.

Would anyone recommend buying glasses in Orlando and if so, where would you suggest.

My husband would rather buy them here as we buy the insurance for them, but I think the girls might enjoy the opportunity to buy on holiday.

All thoughts and opinions are most welcome.
Thank you.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 08:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Walmart has a good choice
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 09:19 PM  
Link to this Post
birdiesX4
Imagineer

Definitely not. DD is an optom at a high streeet practice and she or a dispensing optician have to dispense glasses to children. It can't be an optical assistant and this is because it is a lot more important to make sure they are correct. You won't know if this is the case until you get there. If they aren't right you couldn't just take them back.
If it were my children I would want them to be sorted at home in case I needed to go back for comfort or if they didn't seem right.
birdiesX4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 18, 09:26 PM  
Link to this Post
JAF
Imagineer

Have been to Walmart for glasses when I lost mine and needed to drive. Eye test was very thorough and the glasses were fitted in the same manner and care as in the UK so no problems. If you do use a Walmart optician and there are any problems with the frames you can take them to an Asda optician and they will make sure they are comfortable tightened etc.
JAF is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Thank you for your replies and advice.

Had another look at glasses over the weekend and my daughters are still not enthused about the choices. They have both had glasses since they were toddlers and seemed to have wore most of the glasses available, other than those I need to remortgage the house for.

We will try Wal-Mart, especially if ASDA will assist if they have problems. We have used Wal-Mart when their glasses needed adjusted on holiday and they insisted that the optician was the only one who could attend to them as they were children.

There always seems to be a reason to go to Wal-Mart!

Thank you all.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
I get mine from Walmart. The last pair was in May, I went in the first morning we were there, they took less than 48 hours to arrive, no problems apart from altering the arms which I popped back in to have done. Excellent service.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

assuming under 16's they are free on the NHS why buy them elsewhere?

or am i missing something here ?
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

No, you are right.

They are under sixteen and the NHS does pay for a pair of glasses. My girls have had all the free styles and we have paid extra for frames not covered by the NHS. They just want something different.

They have worn glasses since they were toddlers and should wear their glasses at all times, wearing glasses they look good in helps them feel better about wearing spectacles all day.

It is an indulgence as they are both tired of wearing glasses and far too young for any other option.
Old 19 Nov 18, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Have you tried looking in all the high street shops (boots, some savers and vision express) and also John Lewis Tesco Asda and Costco all have opticians? I almost didn’t order my glasses from specsavers this time, as I couldn’t find much (wearing specs for the last 15 years!) and I totally understand, whilst I’m now 25 my prescription is too awful for contacts! And I look weird without specs so wouldn’t opt for laser
(Also if your girls would want to be laser eye surgery In future they should be careful about wearing contacts too long because they can thin your corneas I was told)

I wouldn’t buy specs out there just because they are an expensive thing to get wrong (same with glasses direct, I wouldn’t advise them for ‘funny prescriptions’ where the pupil distance needs to be just right)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Nov 18, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

They are with Boots. They previously attended an independent optician who had a great selection of glasses, unfortunately changed hands and the children's choice went by the wayside.

I think we will give Wal-Mart a try. They will probably still get another backup pair from Boots- we order two pair minimum for each child- fights, experiments and daily living take there till on their glasses!

I will nip into ASDA, or maybe Boots, when we get home to have them double checked.