Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Jun 14, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_noob
Very Serious Dibber

its a massive jump (in cost) from Standard to full size SUV - more than I am willing to pay.

Will be happy with standard, and if we can get a deal, then will consider it on its merits

have to go to the counter as we booked through 3rd party (Net Flights) and when I try to log in with reference with my booking it wont let me proceed!.
florida_noob is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jun 14, 06:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by florida_noob View Post
its a massive jump (in cost) from Standard to full size SUV - more than I am willing to pay.

Will be happy with standard, and if we can get a deal, then will consider it on its merits

have to go to the counter as we booked through 3rd party (Net Flights) and when I try to log in with reference with my booking it wont let me proceed!.
I booked through 3rd Party too - eBookers.ie - I had trouble doing SaveTime but eventually got in and got the email confirmation and all important barcode

I'm damned if I remember how I got in but some number from my eBookers ref - with no letters - was eventually recognised by the SaveTime part of Alamo and I was able to add my address, phone number, drivers license etc

It seemed to already know my flight - so eBookers must have transmitted that

Keep persevering !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 14, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
JammyDoja
Imagineer

always pre book in the uk! cheaper and avoids disappointment!
Las Vegas 2011-Luxor/Florida 2011-International Palms
Florida 2012-Fantasy Villas/Florida 2014-Windsor Palms
JammyDoja is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 14, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Rowlf
Imagineer

Just a thought - don't forget the difference in the fuel costs between an int SUV (which are essentially just rebodied versions of smallish saloons) and the larger SUVs can be huge if you're doing a lot of miles.

We tend to think that US gas prices are so much lower than ours that mpg's not a big issue, but actually because it's a far bigger and thus more spread-out country distances are much greater.
Old 18 Jun 14, 10:24 AM  
Link to this Post

im on an intermediate SUV this year as the costs for a standard / full sized were just too much!

that being said - the Tahoe is an amazing vehicle (full sized SUV)!
Old 18 Jun 14, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr_A
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JammyDoja View Post
always pre book in the uk! cheaper and avoids disappointment!
Agreed. I just book what I need, get the fast track option and go to the parking garage without dealing with sales agents.

Any upgrade sold will be subject to all airport fees, taxes, charges etc, so if anybody does decide to haggle at the desk after a long flight, it's always best to check what the final price of the upgrade will be before handing over the plastic, as that "bargain $10/day" upgrade could be more than you think!
Mr_A is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jun 14, 11:03 AM  
Link to this Post

Below is a copy of an email complaint I sent to Alamo last year ref my experience at their rental desk. It tells you exactly what I was charged and what it was in £s at the exchange rate at that time. Needless to say I got no reply. Returning in five days, let the battle commence.
Alamo Complaint 2013

On arriving at the Alamo car rental desk after 36 hrs travelling I was informed by your representative that my travel agent had booked too small an SUV for myself. I was advised they had booked me an intermediate SUV which was a Toyota Rav 4, and recommended I upgrade to a bigger SUV, at a cost to myself of $370.72, which included a full tank of gas, £221.37GBP. Being extremely tired and wishing to get to my accommodation as soon as possible I foolishly accepted what I was being told and paid what I was being asked for in order to be on my way. I went to your garage and picked up my vehicle which was a Ford Escape SUV, there was not a Toyota Rav 4 to be seen in the garage which made me very suspicious.
On return to Northern Ireland I have checked your website, travel agents brochures and have found that what my travel agent did book was an intermediate SUV, stated by yourselves as a Ford Escape or similar.
There was absolutely no need for me to pay for an upgrade at your desk at Orlando International Airport as I had already paid in advance for the rental of such vehicle.
I am extremely dismayed that I have been the victim of a deception by one of your representatives, as a retired Police Officer I believe that your representatives actions are bordering on criminal behaviour as a pecuniary advantage was gained by such deception.
I would welcome your comments on what I have stated as a frequent visitor to Orlando I feel this years vacation has been soured by my experience with Alamo Car Rental.
Old 18 Jun 14, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by florida_noob View Post

You don't need to go to the counter most people book through a 3rd party it makes no difference, if your refence number will not work you need to be asking Net Flight why.
Old 18 Jun 14, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread