Link to this Post
gemma-lou
Imagineer

gemma-lou's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 4
Mobile Coping with IBD in flight and parks

Hi guys firstly sorry for the embarrassing post
So recently I have been diagnosed with IBD.
I am in constant pain with bellyache but sometimes more so with the need to go to the toilet. My whole life now revolves around being close to a toilet or even if I feel ok enough to go out as I’m getting stages or I need the loo now! I am really worrying about how I am going to cope when in Florida, queuing for rides etc, I am not eating unless I’m at home for the minute and it’s really getting me down.
I was diagnosed in December with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol and now this, as it is the metaformin I am on can cause issues at times, just wondered if I’m not alone here and how you manage
2008 - enclave suite - 2010 All Star Sport - 2017 Avanti Resort - 2018 Royal pacific and miami - 2022 Polynesian and Royal Pacific - - February 2024 family trip to Universal Dockside - November 2024 Universal Aventura & CSR DisneyWorld
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/signaturepics/sigpic28388_47.gif
gemma-lou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

I have seen an gasterentorologist and identified triggers and in last month i have gone gluten free which has cut down on cramps pain and swellinģ.
Diet is everything.
I have been on this for 16years it gets easier to manage x
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
fletchie148
Imagineer

A few natural things from jan de vries health food shop
All natural no Seidel effects, but with amazing benefits
Tormentil and centaurium both are tinctures taken in water what a difference they’ve made to me, going from 4-5 packets of Imodium a day to none
Sometimes the heat does give me a little trouble but a few drops and I’m back on track
2000 - Disney All Star Movies 2000 - 2007 - Quality Inn International. 2005 - Quality Inn Suites 2008 - The Fountains 2009 - Orange Lake 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Vista Cay 2017. The Grove Resort & Spa 2018
Majorca - Tonga Towers 2019. Orange Lake 2020 - never happened. Orange Lake 2022. Orange Lake 2023. Voco Dubai 2024
fletchie148 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 12:02 AM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
if your not already on it get the modified release metformin, it's a common side effect of the standard metformin to cause tummy problems but they are lessened on the modified release and its just as effective, not to overshare but when I was on regular metformin I had diarrhea daily, once I had switched it made a huge difference.

With regards to other symptoms I have recently gone through fodmap and this has helped massively in identifying what foods cause problems for me (btw diabetes or any autoimmune disorder/disease increases the probability of coeliac and IBS)

Each person has different tolerances and triggers mine are onions, cheese/milk (lactose - if I get the lactose free I can tolerate it), white breads and pasta being the biggies for me, there are others but I can eat them in moderation. Carbonated soft drinks especially coke/pepsi are also problematic.

Mine is well controlled through managing my diet but if yours isnt then you can apply for a das at the park which should help with issues around queuing. Disney especially is really laid out with plenty of toilets within a short space of each other and near the big rides too. You can also speak to a CM at the entrance to the queue and explain you have a medical reason where you may need to leave for the bathroom - usually they will let you leave the queue go to the bathroom and then rejoin the rest of your group

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Jennywren
VIP Dibber

Hi, so sorry to hear of your problems. You may find it helpful to get a "I Can't Wait Card" free from bladderandbowel/help...ant-wait-card/ a credit card sized card you can show to others if there is a queue for the toilet anywhere you go not just at WDW. You can also ask at Guest Relations for a DAS card. It would also be worth asking your diabetes nurse/doctor if there is a different medication or combination of medication you could take if the metformin is affecting you so badly. Hope you enjoy your holiday.
Jennywren is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Mermaid82
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile

I too have IBD and my first trip to Florida I was not diagnosed until a month after I came home, looking back I’m not sure how I coped but I did and with two young children. Toilets are so easily accessible in the parks and you can pick up free iced water everywhere to keep you hydrated. I’ve been back to Florida since being diagnosed and I find it easier now as I am more in control of how to manage it.
You can get a sunflower lanyard at the U.K. airports to help you if you feel it would, you can request a seat near a toilet on the plane, you could also request a DAS pass in the park I have never felt the need to but if I did would definitely not be afraid to get one.
Make sure you take your medication in your hand luggage when you travel and are fully covered with your insurance as flare ups can come on so quickly you want to be fully covered there.
I found the crohns and colitis U.K. charity invaluable for info and there is a website called IBD passport which tells you everything you need to know.
Hope this helps it’s a really horrible and embarrassing disease but there is a lot of support out there
Mermaid82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Brock
Excited about Disney

I had similar issues for a number of years
I had one of my medication change which was metformin, most of the issues were caused by Metformin.
Go talk to your doctor, there are many other medications to replace metformin
Brock is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 11:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Mariesmith
Imagineer

Mobile

If you become a member of Crohn's and colitis UK you get sent a pack with a 'can't wait card' and radar key for UK disabled toilets. There is information about travelling with IBD on the website. Look at the website 'IBD passport' as well for information
Mariesmith is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Aug 19, 03:12 AM  
Link to this Post
jane
Getting to know the DIBB

Mobile Ibd

I to have ibd and type 2 insulin controlled I asked for a DAS which I received it was such a help there was so many times we queued and I ended up having to run to the loo most times I just found the nearest cast member explained I had a DAS and they let me go and let my son wait for me than re joined queue it was also a godsend to be able to book a ride and know that we had all day to use that slot if we had to stay by toilets for ages. Worst comes to worst keep your immoduim handy has to pop them a few times but after couple of hours could do the whole park. Don’t stress about it
jane is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List