Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 18 Aug 19, 04:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Split Croatia June 2019 ~ Day Five ~ Blue Lagoon Boat Trip

Index

We all woke around 8am and started to get ready to head out for our pre-planned boat trip. We had booked this trip via Viator before travelling to Croatia. This was called the Blue Lagoon Three Island Boat Trip and cost around £130 for the three of us. We thought this would be a nice relaxing day trip after the last few busier days walking around and exploring Croatia.

We headed down to the Riva and easily found our boat opposite the British Embassy. Our boat was called the Korsaro and it was themed like an old, wooden pirate ship. We boarded the boat at 9:15am. The crew were all very friendly and explained where everything was on the boat and took our orders for lunch (whether we wanted a meat, fish or vegetarian option). We all chose the meat dish and then found seats for ourselves on the middle deck of the boat.

The lower deck of the boat had no seats and instead had four glass panels so that we could see to the bottom of the sea. The middle deck consisted of rows of benches and tables but was quite open so that we could see out to the water but could sit in the shade if we needed. The top deck was laid out with benches and deck chairs and a steering wheel that children could pretend to drive the boat with (I obviously didn’t have a go at ‘driving’ when I went up there ) This was very open and in direct sunlight so we were glad we chose the other deck.
The boat was full but not overcrowded so we could walk around the boat as we wanted. We could help ourselves to still lemonade and water throughout the trip and there was an onboard bar if we wanted to buy any drinks (we didn’t as there was also help yourself wine available during the lunchtime so we didn’t need any more drinks)
For some reason, this morning I felt exhausted. I think the busy days were catching up with me but I almost fell asleep waiting for the boat to leave the harbour and it was very calming to feel the waves rocking the boat as we travelled. Here's some photos as we sailed to our first destination.

It took around an hour and 15 minutes to reach the first stop of our trip which was a beautiful lagoon with a sunken ship.

Here we could swim and borrow snorkelling equipment to swim over the ship and around the lagoon. I am a non-swimmer so whilst Georgia and Rob went in the sea, I sat in the sun, taking photos of them in the water and listening to the music that was playing on our boat (whilst we were at the lagoon the music playing was relaxing but as we had been travelling earlier it had been loud ‘disco’ music which had been very irritating) I also looked through the glass bottom of the boat to see if there were any fish there but I couldn’t see any which was disappointing.
Dad and I both borrowed snorkels and headed over to the shipwreck. Neither of us had sorted out our snorkels and goggles properly the first time we swam over the shipwreck, so we had no idea what we were swimming over. When we reached the other side we were able to touch the ground (although it was slimy with algae which I didn’t like haha) and put on the goggles. When we swam back over the shipwreck we realised how dangerous it had been to swim over without being able to see. There were large rusty poles sticking out of the wreck, quite close to the surface which we easily could have kicked or swam right into. Somehow, through pure luck, we’d swam between these poles! I really enjoyed swimming around this wreck, watching the fish and looking at the things left there (Dad and I found it particularly funny to see the toilets left on the boat) We spent an hour swimming here but I felt like it was much shorter as I’d been enjoying myself so much.

As we left the bay to travel to our next stop, the crew members served our food. The meat meal was four pieces of grilled chicken breast (although I had an extra small piece on my plate!) served with a bowl of lettuce (which was delicious even if it sounds boring), two large pieces of bread and a small side of onions and weird sauce that none of us could identify. At lunch there was help-yourself red and white wine as well as the water and lemonade still being available. The wine was quite nice, although not amazing quality and Rob and I both had a few small plastic cups full. This meal was delicious! I ate everything on my plate as I was quite hungry from swimming (and I’m always hungry anyway) The chicken was good quality and cooked perfectly and the salad was fresh (I really liked the bread as it was crusty but also soft and fluffy. The perfect bread consistency) The people on the table over from us had the fish and that looked excellent too.

Our next stop was the island of Solta. This was a beautiful small island where we could go ashore for around 40 minutes to explore. As soon as we were off the boat, I was entertained by staring into the water and watching all the animals. The shore here was filled with crabs and fish and like the rest of Croatia, was so clear that you could see right to the bottom.

This island was so peaceful and un-touristy which we loved. It was very hot now so we took our time strolling leisurely along the harbour and down to the beach area.

The beach was very pebbly and quite difficult to walk on. We almost went in the sea but it was too hard to walk on so I gave up and we wandered back along the coast. I did go in the sea and posed for a few photos before agreeing that it was hard work to stand there with the sharp, rocky sand.

I decided that now was the right time to have ice cream, so made quite a few hints to Mum and Dad as we were walking around about how hot I was and that ice cream sounded like a great idea. It worked and before boarding the boat we stopped at a kiosk to buy a bottle of water and an ice cream each. We didn’t need much persuading to buy ice cream as we always want some too. I chose a white chocolate and berry ice cream and Dad and I had white chocolate ice creams.

As we left the port here, Mum and I went down to the glass bottom to see if we could see any fish (we couldn’t) but I did take a photo of the scary pirate statue that lived on the bottom deck.

After a short while travelling, we arrived at our final stop of the Blue Lagoon. Here we spent another hour swimming and snorkelling, while I enjoyed relaxing on the boat. The water was much colder here but I enjoyed watching the flat fish swimming on the bottom and at one point when I swam out where the seaweed was, I was surrounded by fish.

We spent just under the hour in the water here and when I came back aboard Mum and I went down to look through the glass bottom again (we were determined to see something through these at some point on the trip). Our determination paid off as we were able to clearly see the flat fish swimming around at the bottom.

We set sail back for Split which did take about 2 hours. Rob and I enjoyed this and found it very relaxing watching the gulls and the other boats passing by. I got a bit bored on the journey back and the loud music that they insisted on playing really started to annoy me and give me a headache. I did not enjoy it as much as Mum and Dad did, although I’d loved the rest of the boat trip.

We arrived back in Split at around 6:15pm so the trip had been around nine hours long and we think it was good value for all that we did and we were really glad we’d booked it. On the way back to the apartment, we stopped at a supermarket to buy some provisions including these Milka cakes which were delicious.

We showered and changed quite quickly this evening as we wanted to head out to get some food and a walk. I was starting to feel a little unwell, possibly belated sea-sickness from being on the boat all day, so didn’t want a huge meal that evening. It took us a while to decide where to eat (as Mum was being picky as she didn’t want a lot but Dad and I were hungry) We eventually decided on one of the cheaper café/restaurants on the Riva. We are unsure of the name of this place as there are many similar places along the Riva.
I decided on the tuna salad as I wanted a light meal, Rob had the Cevapi and chips (Cevapi is a traditional Croatian dish made of grilled minced meat in a sausage shape, slightly like a kebab. They’re very tasty as Rob really enjoyed his and I had this dish the following night at a different restaurant) and I had a pork chop and mashed potato in a garlic sauce (which was so good! The sauce was delicious and thankfully Dad’s meal came with bread rolls which he gave me one of so I could dip the bread in the sauce.)

This meal with drinks came to £32. Again, this was excellent value and all of the food was tasty. Even though I didn’t eat all of my meal, it helped settle my stomach and I felt a lot better, so we decided to have ice cream on our way back to the apartment (despite having one earlier that day) I had one scoop of strawberry and one scoop of salted caramel, Rob had a cone of salted caramel and I had a scoop of coffee and a scoop of Kinder Bueno White. These were all delicious as usual.

We leisurely strolled back to our room and as per usual, spent time having a drink on the balcony before going to bed.

The next day we visited the town of Supertar on the island of Brac.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 06:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

What a fabulous day! The snorkelling looked great - my two would love that (I would be with you on the boat! )

I agree with Georgia though that the music would grate on me a bit!

Your tuna salad looks right up my street!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
What a fabulous day! The snorkelling looked great - my two would love that (I would be with you on the boat! )

I agree with Georgia though that the music would grate on me a bit!

Your tuna salad looks right up my street!
It was a lovely chilled day, I did enjoy just sitting on the boat in the sunshine and both Rob and Georgia loved the snorkelling.

The music was constant throughout the trip, restful music at the stops which was nice but the thudding beat while we were travelling was annoying though, this would be our only complaint about the trip.

I wish I could say I loved the tuna salad but I really wasn’t up to eating much of it, although it was really good. I did feel much better as soon as I ate some of it though thankfully.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
It looked like a lovely boat trip, reading Georgia's account of the snorkelling it sounds like those two were lucky not to injure themselves on the wreck. Shame you felt a bit iffy in the evening.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:09 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
It looked like a lovely boat trip, reading Georgia's account of the snorkelling it sounds like those two were lucky not to injure themselves on the wreck. Shame you felt a bit iffy in the evening.
Yes, even though the sea was quite clear, the rusty poles were very dangerous and difficult to see. I think the crew should have warned people before they went into the water, but health and safety rules aren’t as strictly enforced in some countries as much as we are used to which I think we sometimes forget 😐

I think my dodgy tum was because we had been at sea all day as it did settle quickly thankfully. I was disappointed that I couldn’t eat all of the tuna salad though as it was very good 😀
Old 19 Aug 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Lovely photos! Your ice creams always look amazing! Boat trip sounds great (apart from the music issue, interesting to note even your young daughter didn’t appreciate it) the water looks so clear and clean. Making me miss Croatia...

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Lovely photos! Your ice creams always look amazing! Boat trip sounds great (apart from the music issue, interesting to note even your young daughter didn’t appreciate it) the water looks so clear and clean. Making me miss Croatia...
We do love our ice creams and I think the ones in Croatia were even nicer than the ones we had in Venice the year before 😀

Georgia isn’t into clubbing and the music was dance music or 80’s ‘bad pop’ (think Venga Boys 😂 ) so I think the music annoyed her more than it did us 😀 When we stopped the boat they played gentle music, e.g Ed Sheeran or Eagles type of stuff which was quite enjoyable. I guess they were trying to set a mood, but just gave us a headache 😂 It didn’t spoil the trip, but it was something we could have done without. The sea was some of the clearest we have ever seen, I can see why you are missing Croatia, I think we are too. We would definitely like to go back, maybe try a different area next time, although we did love Split

Edited at 12:28 PM.
Old 22 Aug 19, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
CrispyA
Imagineer

The snorkelling sounds great and you had some fantastic ice creams on this trip - lovely!
CrispyA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Originally Posted by CrispyA View Post
The snorkelling sounds great and you had some fantastic ice creams on this trip - lovely!
Georgia really enjoyed the snorkelling, she loved seeing the fish up close.

I hadn’t realised until we wrote the report how many ice creams we actually ate this holiday 😂 They were really good though and so cheap too.

We should get our last full day and travel home day posted tomorrow

Edited at 10:19 PM.