Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 15 Apr 19, 07:47 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Help me with info on Vancouver and Washington road trip

I"m toying with the idea of a trip flying into Vancouver and a road trip for two weeks. I've always wanted to visit Seattle so a stop there would be on the itinery. Also want to include a few days in a cabin somewhere as we like hiking. Some of our best holiday memories are Yosemite and Arizona, we love the US national parks.
Is that part of the US and Canada any cheaper than California? The last couple of US trips we've really felt it with the poor exchange rate.
Time of year? May/June next year could work well for us.
I know there are direct flights to Vancouver from Heathrow., so maybe a round road trip would be best. Or we could fly back from Seattle with a change.
Wish I could plan a three weeks trip.as I could be off work that long but unfortunately DH can't. Our two grown up son's might come with us too, And brother who lives in San Diego would come along for a least part of the trip I'm sure.

Edited at 09:48 AM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

We did Vancouver and Seattle together about 5 years ago. Vancouver is expensive. We stayed in an airbnb in Seattle which worked out cheaper.

If you love the national parks what about Quebec? Two great cities (Montreal and Quebec City) and lots of wilderness. I have three trip reports on Quebec and will be about to start my fourth on Friday

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Oh and it is generally cheaper and closer!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 03:28 PM  
Link to this Post
brucefans
Excited about Disney

We did Vancouver, Vancouver Island Whistler Jasper Banff Calgary - wonderful holiday, would highly recommend. Wish we had flown home from Calgary rather than having to travel back to Vancouver for the return flight but other than that a trip of a lifetime. We did a mix of Air bnb, hotels and lodges/cabins.
brucefans is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
I"m toying with the idea of a trip flying into Vancouver and a road trip for two weeks. I've always wanted to visit Seattle so a stop there would be on the itinery. Also want to include a few days in a cabin somewhere as we like hiking. Some of our best holiday memories are Yosemite and Arizona, we love the US national parks.
Is that part of the US and Canada any cheaper than California? The last couple of US trips we've really felt it with the poor exchange rate.
Time of year? May/June next year could work well for us.
I know there are direct flights to Vancouver from Heathrow., so maybe a round road trip would be best. Or we could fly back from Seattle with a change.
Wish I could plan a three weeks trip.as I could be off work that long but unfortunately DH can't. Our two grown up son's might come with us too, And brother who lives in San Diego would come along for a least part of the trip I'm sure.
One of the best trips we have ever taken. Loved it

We flew into Vancouver, then went down to Seattle, then on to Portland before heading back up to Vancouver Island and flying back out of Vancouver.

We found the hotels to be expensive. More so than most other areas in the US. Not sure why!

If you need any tips for places to visit I would highly recommend the locations below.

Stanley Park
Capilano Bridge & Grouse Mountain
The Boeing Factory tour
Museum of Flight
Mount St Helens (Amazing! )
Columbia River Gorge
Multnomah Falls
The whole of Vancouver Island (cheaper hotels too)

Happy to help with any of your planning. You'll love it!
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Thanks everyone. We'd be staying in airbnb places as we have on several trips. We've always found them great, but I do my research carefully and don't scrimp on costs.
How many days would we need in Vancouver, I'm thinking 3 nights so just two full days. I like the idea of the ferry to Vancouver island. If my brother is with us it's good as he is obviously used to driving in the states as be lives there.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
We did Vancouver and Seattle together about 5 years ago. Vancouver is expensive. We stayed in an airbnb in Seattle which worked out cheaper.

If you love the national parks what about Quebec? Two great cities (Montreal and Quebec City) and lots of wilderness. I have three trip reports on Quebec and will be about to start my fourth on Friday
As my brother lives in San Diego it's nearer for him to get an internal flight to spend a few days with us. Plus I just fancy that part of the US, I've wanted to visit Seattle for a while.
I'll have a look at your trip reports though, maybe for another trip 😀

Edited at 05:30 PM.
Old 15 Apr 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Cannavar
Imagineer

Cannavar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Thanks everyone. We'd be staying in airbnb places as we have on several trips. We've always found them great, but I do my research carefully and don't scrimp on costs.
How many days would we need in Vancouver, I'm thinking 3 nights so just two full days. I like the idea of the ferry to Vancouver island. If my brother is with us it's good as he is obviously used to driving in the states as be lives there.
After lots of deliberating and due to time constraints we did 3 nights Vancouver. It gave us the 2 full days. We could have done more but we also saw a lot of it.

Vancouver island is a must, if only to do Victoria. The island is too big in itself to do much justice to if you havent got long to spend there though.

Our hotel on the island had whales and otters in the sea right by the hot spring pool. It was rather nice
Hawaii 12
Southern States Tour 15
Vancouver and Pacific NW 16
Canadian and US Road Trip 18
The short hop over the pond trip report
The Long Trip Down Under trip report

Cannavar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi Judy!

If you are going there then I thoroughly recommend Vancouver Island - especially the west coast - either Ucluelet or Tofino. I loved it there! We took the ferry from Vancouver to Nanaimo andcthen Victoria to Port Angeles in USA.

We did:
4 nights Vancouver
6 nights Ucluelet (VI)
7 nights Seattle
6 nights Whistler

In Vancouver we did Stanley Park, Capilano and general wandering.

In Seattle we loved the Boeing factory, Chiluhy Glass museum, Museum of Flight among others.

We did whale watching in Ucluelet and lots of walking.

It is a lovely part of North America!

Index of my trip reports
Old 15 Apr 19, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
wdw-wanderer
Apprentice Imagineer

I’d add Crater Lake to the list of must-dos, though it’s a bit further south.
wdw-wanderer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List