Go Back   theDIBB > Other Planning Discussion > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.
Discount Florida Car Hire
Closed Thread
Unread 5 Oct 14, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
So the BIG question is why they aren't making a profit? If it is the No 1 tourist destination why isn't it succeeding financially? Disney Corp has bailed this place out once already. It renegotiated the loans from the European bankers threatening "to walk" if they didn't listen. Ok we have been through an economic depression but if its hotels are full and it's packed to capacity at times why is it so different in operation to its sister parks?
Somebody must have an answer.
I just thought it was because its debt was so high from the early years, it needs its 5000000000000 billionth visitor before it goes green haha
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 5 Oct 14, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel32
Having Dinner with Goofy

Originally Posted by cazspence View Post
Same here, but I save the money first so I'm instantly paying it off. Sometimes before it's even off the credit card.
I just keep the money aside earning interest then pay it off when 0% ends. Except the clarity which is interest baring after 56 days. That I do pay off when we get back but wait until it's statemented or else it just makes the account look dormant to CRA.
Ariel32 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 5 Oct 14, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
geoffa
Imagineer

geoffa's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 8
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mikeishere View Post
I just thought it was because its debt was so high from the early years, it needs its 5000000000000 billionth visitor before it goes green haha
Exactly! DLP was built on the selling of shares and loans from European bankers. The interest on those loans grows and grows. Disney tried to get it to a manageable level but it doesn't seem to have worked.
I eagerly await the outcome of Monday's negotiations.

geoffa is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Cancelled because of illness.
Unread 5 Oct 14, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
mikeishere
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by geoffa View Post
Exactly! DLP was built on the selling of shares and loans from European bankers. The interest on those loans grows and grows. Disney tried to get it to a manageable level but it doesn't seem to have worked.
I eagerly await the outcome of Monday's negotiations.
So to answer your previous question that is why it hasn't made a profit even though like you say hotels are full etc
mikeishere is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 5 Oct 14, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
I think Peter H might be a shareholder

He's right though...I'm a shareholder too, and it would be odd if we heard nothing. That said, there are so many shareholders they aren't going to tell the ones that don't matter (ie us!) until the deal is done anyway.

I hope nothing too dramatic happens as I've just booked my first trip there for next June!

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ o ~o ~ o~o ~o ~ o~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Setting sail on the Disney Magic!
Unread 5 Oct 14, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Melanie R
Sprinkling Pixie Dust

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Originally Posted by Imagineer2802 View Post
I think Peter H might be a shareholder

He's right though...I'm a shareholder too, and it would be odd if we heard nothing. That said, there are so many shareholders they aren't going to tell the ones that don't matter (ie us!) until the deal is done anyway.

I hope nothing too dramatic happens as I've just booked my first trip there for next June!
If you have enough shares, make sure you've joined the shareholders club to get your discount card and access to Salon Mickey, the shareholders lounge - enjoy your first trip

.:[ Our Trippies Index ]:.

19 x DLP, 8 x WDW

The Duchess does DLP
Melanie R is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Glaciers & Glowtinis
Unread 5 Oct 14, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
3Lions
Apprentice Imagineer

If the debt keeps on rising, there are two options: a) close the doors or b) have the creditors take a hit on what they will receive, i.e. Write off some of the debt. If DLP closes, the creditors get nothing, so it would be in their interest to at least discuss the situation with Disney. Who is on the Board for DLP? Major creditors may want more of a say as to how it is run in order to try to make inroads into the debt.
3Lions is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Unread 5 Oct 14, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
VIP Dibber

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

Originally Posted by 3Lions View Post
If the debt keeps on rising, there are two options: a) close the doors or b) have the creditors take a hit on what they will receive, i.e. Write off some of the debt. If DLP closes, the creditors get nothing, so it would be in their interest to at least discuss the situation with Disney. Who is on the Board for DLP? Major creditors may want more of a say as to how it is run in order to try to make inroads into the debt.
Very true. Of course, these are not binary options either. They could decide to do both. Who remembers when Eurodisney first opened, and the park was closed Mondays and Tuesdays? They could do something similar whilst at the same time restructuring the debt. Oh well, less than 12 hours to find out what's really happening (probably an announcement of a new cupcake).
Husband to endlessly understanding wife. Dad to three amazing kids. Mobile cash point and family taxi. Any opinions expressed are usually my own, or borrowed from people more intelligent than me. Please make cheques payable to 'Cash'.
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Center Parcs UK & DLP Bonanza
Closed Thread
Ocean Florida