Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 18 Aug 19, 10:28 AM  
Link to this Post
Syjen
Very Serious Dibber

Choosing a pre-paid currency card

Last trip we used a Monzo card and found it great, thanks to the app and instant notification of use, which really helped us to keep a check on how much spend we had left, and also security.
Researching this morning WeSwap is coming out as the top rated. Anyone used this one, or what would your preferred card be?
Syjen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Syjen View Post
Last trip we used a Monzo card and found it great, thanks to the app and instant notification of use, which really helped us to keep a check on how much spend we had left, and also security.
Researching this morning WeSwap is coming out as the top rated. Anyone used this one, or what would your preferred card be?
I've just ordered a Monzo card to use abroad after my son raved about it. I have no knowledge of any others and from what I've seen about Monzo that looks pretty a decent option that will work well for us having the bill-splitting feature.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
alvin_purple
Very Serious Dibber

We used Monzo in July. Worked great.
Was a bit worried about having all our spending money on one card so had another Monzo card in my wife's name and a Revolut card in mine.
So our spending cash was split over 3 cards.
Revolut works the same as Monzo. App based.
All cards work well, but make sure you activate all the functions on the cards.
I didn't have the mag strip swipe option turned on for the Revolut card so the card was rejected in Pop Century food hall.
alvin_purple is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Donz1979
Imagineer

Mobile

Ive got Caxton, never used yet. Has app to track usage free withdrawls, plus got 30 bonus when loaded 500
Donz1979 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

To actually answer your question, Yes. Weswap are fine. Used it in New York and Atlanta. Also use Caxton and Fairfx.I stick $500 on them and spend away !
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Syjen
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks for replies, so far. We're looking at Caxton now, with the cashback option
Syjen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Nordboy
Excited about Disney

Starling account, quick and easy to apply and set up. A proper account, all online and protected by the FSA.

It's been brilliant, immediate notifications when it's been used, with the amount in both 's and $'s. Both myself and the wife have got seperate accounts but can immediately transfer money between existing bank accounts and even better, between our Starling accounts by the phones connecting together and communicating with each other.

Totally recommended
Nordboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 05:40 PM  
Link to this Post
BarrettFamily
VIP Dibber

DS1 has used a Cashpassport from Sainsburys whilst in the US with Camp America and found it very easy with no fees.
WDW All Stars Movies 2001- 10th Anniversary
WDW Carribean Beach Resort 2006
WDW All Stars Music 2008
WDW Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa 2018 - 50th Birthday Celebration with Mum.
BarrettFamily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 06:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

So we have used a Caxton account for many years and have been very happy with it.

Also have a starling card which I use in the UK. Used it recently in Portugal and it was ideal.

The benefit for me of starling over Caxton is that in Starling you can keep money in a separate space which isn't accessibly with the card unless you swap it over to the "spending" area. This is instant. The diff with Caxton and others of a similar ilk is that all your money is in the one place. Starling just seems a bit more secure in that regard.

Caxton however you buy the money in.advance so you have a set exchange rate. FairFX and the PO currency card are the same. So you can save ahead and do better (or worse) than the currency exchange when you go).

Starling and Monzo etc do instant transfers. So the rate is what the rate is on the day. It has a good high rate better than nationwide etc.

Caxton and Starling both do joint accounts.

Think I am shifting slowly towards starling longer term. We have come back from Europe with euros left on our Caxton account. Easy enough to get back but will lose on the trsnsaction. So think we will just keep them there until we go to Europe again.

Starling can just use the card in the same way in the UK so money isnt frozen.

Starling your money is protected. Caxton it isnt.

Long ramble, but essentially think carefully about you want an Instant access card like starling, or a prepaid card like Caxton. Both have good and bad. But need to have what suits your circumstances.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Aug 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
grommitt
Excited about Disney

Used Monzo for a couple of years and then switched to starling as there is no restrction on cash withdrawels.
Both work really well but there is also a bit more control with the starling card and when i had an issue it was resolved with a quick text.
grommitt is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List