Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 5 Jul 19, 07:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Heidimai
Getting Excited

Heidimai's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile Canada Trip

Hi, we are taking a road trip across Canada in a few weeks and I would like to book a guided hike for our first day in Banff to see Lake Louise or similar. It needs to be an easy one that will allow a nearly 12 yr old. Has anyone used a company that they would recommend.
Mar 08 - Terra Verde + RPB,Xmas 08 - RPB + ASMu + Orlando Peabody Hotel + Disney Wonder, Nov 09Lake Berkeley + Disney Wonder, Jul 10 -Med Disney Magic, Feb 11 - Bahama Bay
Heidimai is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 01:44 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

We went to Banff in January and did the Johnston Canyon walk with Banff Adventures. I don't know if that tour is available in summer, but it was well organised, the transfers were prompt and the guide gave really good commentary on the journey and on the walk.
Old 5 Jul 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi,
You won’t need a company or guide for an easy hike.

We also did Johnston Canyon last year - it has a huge car park and clearly marked (busy) paths - it was overrun with people (and coach parties) in September, certainly to the lower falls, thinned a bit to the upper Falls and was very pleasant going to the Inkpots. It was all boardwalk as far as I recall to Upper Falls.

How far can you walk? The tea house at Lake Louise is 5.5k (uphill) one way.

You can park at Lake Louise and it’s a 5 min walk to the Lake and you can walk along it...

Emerald Lake is a stunning 5.5k flat circuit around a beautiful lake near Banff (yoho national park).

Grassi lakes near Canmore is about a 4K circuit with nice views...

You won’t be alone in Banff or Lake Louise - it is hugely busy. 🙂

Edited at 05:51 PM. Reason: Add photos
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Libby
Imagineer

When we visited on 11th August 2016 the Lake Louise car park was pretty full at 8.30am.
Libby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jul 19, 08:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

If you’re doing Lake Louise or Moraine Lake like mentioned above it’s really busy in the summer. We did them independently in July last year but where up and out of our place really early and Moraine Lake car park was already full by about 7:00am, Lake Louise was fine. We did get to Moraine Lake on the way back from Lake Louise though.

Both beautiful in their own way. The walk up to Lake Agnes is all uphill for about 2-3 miles but worth it for the lake and tea house. If you’re hiring a car you’ll be fine exploring on your own if you don’t mind driving and can please yourself how long you spend at places. Johnston Canyon is also worth a look to.

I did a trip report and there’s a link in my signature with lots more info in but ask me any questions and I’ll help if I can.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jul 19, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Heidimai
Getting Excited

Heidimai's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Thanks Gunna, I've read a few of your trip reports but I need to go back and re read. Thanks all, yes I think we will go it alone. I've read it's really busy and we will hopefully be awake early as this is our first day. We land in Calgary the day before and are driving to Banff Inn for one night. So trying to plan the best way of seeing the lakes.
Mar 08 - Terra Verde + RPB,Xmas 08 - RPB + ASMu + Orlando Peabody Hotel + Disney Wonder, Nov 09Lake Berkeley + Disney Wonder, Jul 10 -Med Disney Magic, Feb 11 - Bahama Bay
Heidimai is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List