Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 29 Jul 19, 09:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess_Flo
Earning More Ears

Pre diagnosis DAS

Hi all,

We are off to the most magical place on earth in October and will be the first time taking our DS.

He will be turning 3 at the end of our trip, he has speech delay (only has 10 words) gets very stressed in certain situations and is currently under assessment by a paediatrician, receiving speech therapy and has a pre diagnosis support worker.

I'm starting to worry more and more about how he's going to deal with the queues. is the DAS something he would be eligible for?
Princess_Flo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 09:47 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

U do not need proof for a das as per ada.
Speech delay wont help him get a das but anxiety may.
Hope u get the help u need (me son saw a salt for years and now wont shut up lol)
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Lemmonie
Excited about Disney

at 2 he will be in a buggy alot and no worries about people invading his space etc. As for the queues, rides for kids that age are gonna be well air conditioned and plenty to look at. 3 year olds dont have tantrums/kick off at the slightest of things anyway so im afriad thats par for the course.

I would imagine youd have a hard time explaining why your 2 year old cant wait in a queue more than any other 2 year old.

Edited at 10:13 AM.
Lemmonie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
Princess_Flo
Earning More Ears

Thank you for your reply, its great to know the speech and language therapy does help. I'm definitely more concerned about his anxiety and melt downs rather than the speech. I can usually keep him calm in the stroller with the hood pulled down but obviously won't be able to do that in the queues
Princess_Flo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
RM2016
Imagineer

RM2016's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I think this is a difficult age to show your child needs more help than others at 3 as there are children that age hardly say a peep and plenty that have a melt down particularly in the heat when they are confined to a queue.
RM2016 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Princess_Flo View Post
Thank you for your reply, its great to know the speech and language therapy does help. I'm definitely more concerned about his anxiety and melt downs rather than the speech. I can usually keep him calm in the stroller with the hood pulled down but obviously won't be able to do that in the queues
My DGS has a slight club foot which last year made it difficult (much improved now though) for him to stand for long periods and at 4 he was too heavy to carry around. Guest Services gave us a wheelchair tag to attach to the stroller which allowed us to take the stroller into the queues which helped enormously

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:26 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Hiya! Sorry just caught up with this thread but as a mother to a just turned 3 year old who has a speech delay, sensory issues and is pre diagnosis of autism AND who has been to disney recently I am someone who can most certainty help you with this.

The DAS is there to ease things for your little one regardless of their age if you think this will help your son then the facility is there for you. I have two kids and my daughter at 2 and my son at 2 is night and day. If your child has a speech delay it’s highly likely they will struggle with understanding and can easily get overwhelmed. This is where the DAS comes in and can help make his day more manageable and help you to manage his expectations too.

So absolutely go to guest services and speak to them, discuss your sons issues and why managing queues and crowds may be tricky for him and let them decide. Also, you can speak to them about the stroller and how this helps him avoid sensory overload. They may then tag it as a wheelchair and you can take it in queues and restaurants. As it happens mine wanted out of his stroller a lot, they can be a bit unpredictable over there.

If you need any more info please feel free to pm me and I will be more than happy to help. I’m a bit crap at replying fast but aforementioned 3yr old means I have my hands full! 🙈

Edited at 10:27 AM.
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List