Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 2 Aug 19, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Wongadotcom
Earning More Ears

whats the current fuel price per gallon in petrol stations compared to Alamo garage?, do they base it on how big the fuel tank is, having a Full size SUV so could be a fair difference
Wongadotcom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ozzyowl1 View Post
I return full, I hate driving with a near empty tank and would just worry about running out! I top up way before drop off though, 10 miles from a full tank still shows as full.
Snap
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Wongadotcom View Post
whats the current fuel price per gallon in petrol stations compared to Alamo garage?, do they base it on how big the fuel tank is, having a Full size SUV so could be a fair difference
This site tells you the current gas prices around MCO but you won't know what Alamo, for example, charge until you get to the barrier.

CORRECTION - this was a link to the Gas Buddy site but wouldn't open when I tried it

There is some science to how they charge you but is it based on you taking a full size car which, on average my be a 15 gallon tank or specifically a Ford Fusion which may be a 15.5 gallon tank. No idea really.

Don't forget though in any calculation to remember that a US gallon is only 80% of an Imperial gallon.

Mick

PS Have a safe flight - you can come back on here tomorrow and tell us.

Edited at 05:05 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Wongadotcom
Earning More Ears

OK so a ford Expedition takes 19 US gallons so average price around Tampa is $2.50 so $47.50, if they charge anywhere around that i'll say yes!
Wongadotcom is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 06:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Ridersmom
Imagineer

Alamo is quite reasonable with fuel charges. I have picked up a car at my local airport and found the prepay price to be below what gas is selling for in the area. I have also not been able to return full and the charge is not much more than the usual cost.

Other agencies may gouge you. I have paid up to $10./gallon with Dollar when the average price has been below three. I only would rent from dollar in a pinch.

Different returns seem to have different attitudes about what constitutes full. I have rented, not prepaid but not put gas in (only drove maybe 60 miles) and not been charged.
Ridersmom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Always pre pay and then take it back empty.

The only exception being is if we grab a cheeky week. Then I don't take that option and instead fill up at the Speedway garage in WDW.

Cannot be doing with the hassle of looking for fuel

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 19, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Suffolk dad
Very Serious Dibber

Always pre pay and return empty.

Generally our last couple of hours in Florida is spent manically running around the malls and/or outlets buying the things my wife and daughter have spent 3 weeks umming and aaahing over buying but not deciding they need until we're leaving the villa, and swapping things that they have bought in the wrong size and/or colour.

Once that;s done we're generally running the risk of being late to the airport, so the thought of then having to find a reasonably priced gas station within 10 miles of the airport is a no-no for me.

Edited at 11:20 PM.
Suffolk dad is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Welshjim22
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

With Alamo I have never found the return empty charge to be high enough for me to consider filling up on last day, better things to do.
Welshjim22 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 04:25 PM  
Link to this Post
nanu
Imagineer

Usually prepay and take back empty. A few years ago with Avis, we asked the lady on the barrier to add the fuel and she said she had but I wasn't convinced as I couldn't see it anywhere on the paperwork. Called into a local branch to check and they told me it hadn't been added and was too late to add. It was a good job I checked, as if we had taken it back empty, we would have paid $10 a gallon instead of the $2ish it was at the time. We did fill up at the Wawa on the 192 and was still showing as full when we got to the airport.
1988 New York Penta & Orl. Radisson Maingate 1990 Orl. Marriott I-Drive, Premier Cruise & Cocoa Beach Hilton 1997 Orl. La Suites I-Drive 2002 Orl. Port Orleans Riverside 2006 Las Vegas Luxor 2007 Orl. Port Orleans French Quarter 2010 Orl. Windsor Palms villa 2012 Orl. Rolling Hills villa & RPR Universal 2015 Orl. Indian Creek villa & Naples Bay Resort 2017 Orl. Highlands Reserve villa 2018 Barefoot Beach Resort & Orl. Highgate Park villa
nanu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Aug 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We always take ours back full , we use the garage near publix by exit 2 of the 417.

Only ever taken it back empty once and I seemed to spend the last couple of days working out if I had enough petrol to get back to the airport but not enough for the rental company to profit
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List