Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 6 Aug 19, 06:19 AM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbelll
Apprentice Imagineer

Flight prices without luggage

I haven’t booked long haul in 2 years and now it seems all quotes do not include luggage on websites like Expedia/etravel etc and won’t let you add it. How then does everyone pay for luggage? Are you all booking direct with airlines now?
tinkerbelll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

They should give you options to either add bags or choose a flight with bags, I know netflights does this
Old 6 Aug 19, 07:46 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinkerbelll View Post
I haven’t booked long haul in 2 years and now it seems all quotes do not include luggage on websites like Expedia/etravel etc and won’t let you add it. How then does everyone pay for luggage? Are you all booking direct with airlines now?

Expedia definitely lets you choose flights with baggage. The initial price displayed is the cheapest but if you do a dummy booking you will bring up a whole list of options with/without bags and by class

MarkJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
scottsman
Apprentice Imagineer

I’m getting worried about this trend of offering flights without luggage, a bit like seat selection it came in slowly on select tickets and then went everywhere, I fear we are going to see this as standard on all holidays and tickets.

I’m surprised most companies would let you add it though
scottsman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Don’t have experience of how this works on the third party sites, but some airlines (AA for example) do not let you add bags to a basic fare until online check in opens. You can buy a fare with checked bags, or a basic fare then wait until check in opens to pay for bags.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
minniemam
Serious Dibber

minniemam's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We've booked BA flights for May. DH & I have decided to just use our cabin cases as the weight allowance is 23kg still & we travel light anyway. DD & DGD are sharing 1 checked case between them for an extra £80.
Old 6 Aug 19, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

We've decided to be brave and take cabin luggage only. Planning a budget trip without posh restaurants so it should work fine for us as three adults. Will take dry fit tops and go light on footwear.
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Originally Posted by scottsman View Post
I’m getting worried about this trend of offering flights without luggage, a bit like seat selection it came in slowly on select tickets and then went everywhere, I fear we are going to see this as standard on all holidays and tickets.

I’m surprised most companies would let you add it though
Why is this an issue? Why should I have to pay for something I dont use if I can manage on a small bag for the trip?
Airlines have been doing this for a long time and it usually says prices are from so you know this is the lowest and may be more.

Passengers have more choice this way and flights are not more expensive ( ignoring price rises) as they have added in a lower price tier
Old 6 Aug 19, 03:55 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerbelll
Apprentice Imagineer

The issue for me is when you are comparing prices you aren’t always comparing like for like. So it makes it harder to know if the deal you have is the best one. Just makes pricing less transparent.
tinkerbelll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinkerbelll View Post
The issue for me is when you are comparing prices you aren’t always comparing like for like. So it makes it harder to know if the deal you have is the best one. Just makes pricing less transparent.
I agree with this!

Was recently looking at flights and the addition of the "no bag" option when flying with full service airlines was seriously confusing me on Kayak and artificially depressing the price of some of the flights... made it a bit harder to compare prices.