Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 6 Aug 19, 07:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

China - Updated booked!

Very early planning stages for 2020 but looking at using our air miles to visit China as oppose to the USA.

Had a look at organised tours but would prefer to do it myself and sure I can bring it in much cheaper than the tours I’ve seen. Plan would be to start in Shanghai, then Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and finish in Hong Kong flying home from there. Maybe they’ll be a couple of Disney days too. We’ll mostly use trains between the major cities but fly to HK, which I’ll prebook.

Question is how easy is it doing it yourself? Feel relatively confident travelling without a TA / tour guide but some websites say it’s difficult in China and others if you plan in advance well enough it’s ok. Will book some trips for some sights and would do some myself as well as book the odd transfer from stations/airports to assist. Know about Visas as well as certain phone apps not working and lots of places mention about translator apps/books for basic Mandarin too.

Anyone done China independently and if so how did you find it. Any thoughts much appreciated as well as must sees.

Edited at 03:53 PM.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes I have done it and went to all the places you mentioned. I would change the order around, fly into Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and then fly to Hong Kong from Shanghai, it will reduce some of your distances.

I did most of the arrangements myself, but I joined a tour for the Xian and Chengdu sections. I explored Shanghai and Beijing by myself with the aid of a travel book. I liked the feel of Shanghai more, but Beijing was definitely the more interesting city with more to do, allow more time there. The section of the wall that I walked was Simatai and I would highly recommend that, it is less used than the other sections.

China was quite hard work, but the planning wasn't hard, it was the day to day stuff (like communicating with people) that was hard, especially as I was on my own. I found getting around using their subway pretty easy.

I would caution about using trains exclusively for your internal travel. I used a train for one section and it was disgusting. I also got a very bad chest infection the following day which I am sure was connected to that train journey. And don't get me wrong, I love a train journey, I have gone the length of Vietnam on a train, seen Egypt by train and have done the great train journeys in Australia, but I would not take a train in China again. The internal flights I did on the other hand were pleasant and the planes looked clean and new.

My trip was in the mid-2000's so obviously some things will have changed. We didn't have apps back then.

Edited at 12:48 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Yes I have done it and went to all the places you mentioned. I would change the order around, fly into Beijing, Xian, Chengdu and then fly to Hong Kong from Shanghai, it will reduce some of your distances.

I did most of the arrangements myself, but I joined a tour for the Xian and Chengdu sections. I explored Shanghai and Beijing by myself with the aid of a travel book. I liked the feel of Shanghai more, but Beijing was definitely the more interesting city with more to do, allow more time there. The section of the wall that I walked was Simatai and I would highly recommend that, it is less used than the other sections.

China was quite hard work, but the planning wasn't hard, it was the day to day stuff (like communicating with people) that was hard, especially as I was on my own. I found getting around using their subway pretty easy.

I would caution about using trains exclusively for your internal travel. I used a train for one section and it was disgusting. I also got a very bad chest infection the following day which I am sure was connected to that train journey. And don't get me wrong, I love a train journey, I have gone the length of Vietnam on a train, seen Egypt by train and have done the great train journeys in Australia, but I would not take a train in China again. The internal flights I did on the other hand were pleasant and the planes looked clean and new.

My trip was in the mid-2000's so obviously some things will have changed. We didn't have apps back then.
Thanks for all this information, it’s brilliant.

I’ll check on where we fly into as might be stuck with Shanghai due to using Virgin air-miles and preferring to go direct but I’ll certainly look. I’ll also look at the trains again. Was looking to go first class and in the high speed trains but I’ll check some reviews and videos to see people’s thoughts.

Good to hear you managed in your own, feel quite okay travelling without groups and know language will be a factor for this one in places but sure with planning and also apps now should be ok.

Many thanks again really appreciate all your information.
Gunna is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Aug 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
Thanks for all this information, it’s brilliant.

I’ll check on where we fly into as might be stuck with Shanghai due to using Virgin air-miles and preferring to go direct but I’ll certainly look. I’ll also look at the trains again. Was looking to go first class and in the high speed trains but I’ll check some reviews and videos to see people’s thoughts.

Good to hear you managed in your own, feel quite okay travelling without groups and know language will be a factor for this one in places but sure with planning and also apps now should be ok.

Many thanks again really appreciate all your information.

Regarding the trains, I would say that I was on the train for the small parts where I had joined a group, so they booked the train and I honestly don't know what class they booked, perhaps they had tried to save some costs. Also it was some years ago.

Happy planning!

Edit to add: I have just googled images of China trains, they look like the Japan bullet trains (which I have also done). I am sure I was on something a little less salubrious.

Edited at 03:52 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Regarding the trains, I would say that I was on the train for the small parts where I had joined a group, so they booked the train and I honestly don't know what class they booked, perhaps they had tried to save some costs. Also it was some years ago.

Happy planning!

Edit to add: I have just googled images of China trains, they look like the Japan bullet trains (which I have also done). I am sure I was on something a little less salubrious.
I’ve been watching quite a few videos of the new high speed trains and they look really good and straightforward.

We’ve had a chat and decided that if we can get the flights with our reward points we’re going for it. From reading a few blogs and forums it seems that it is doable independently with some planning which I’m happy to do. We’ll book a few organised trips for some things too (Great Wall, Forbidden City ) as I’ve read it’s hard to get tickets for something’s in advance if not you’re Chinese/in China. I’ve even said I’m going to try and learn some basic Mandarin too. Other stuff we’ll do on our own as from watching and reading about it looks like I can with a bit of planning.

Must admit really looking forward to it. Always wanted to visit China and have only seen Hong Kong for a brief stop in 1995 so will be great to go back.

Thanks again for all your advice.
Old 11 Aug 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

Hi
We went to China DIY in April this year. We flew into Shanghai (we were using avios so it was our best option).
We then went to Beijing (by train)
and then to Xian (by train - we stopped in Pingyao to break the journey - have a google it’s a lovely, small walled city).
Then we went to Chengdu (by train) and finally flew back to Shanghai for our return flight.

The trains were great - fast bullet trains. Not quite as nice as Japanese but certainly not dirty... in fact they were going through the carriages cleaning the floors multiple times on our journeys. We travelled 2nd class generally.

We booked our trains online mostly and collected our tickets at the stations. If you buy them at the station you can only use cash so be prepared! We had no journeys longer than 4 hours.

Make sure you sort out vpn before you go so that you can get to google etc. We had no issues with our vpn.

We used public transport (metros) in all of the cities with no issues - it was all very easy (if crowded!).

We stayed in nice western hotels generally and we found them very comfortable and good quality (and cheap) - I can give you the details of where we stayed if you would like.

We used a guide once - for terracotta warriors - and he was great, he picked us up from our hotel and made sure he tailored the experience for us. The rest we found easy to do on our own.

Our highlights were hiking on The Great Wall (don’t go to Badaling it’s a tourist trap - find a group that will give you the ‘real experience’.
We loved eating in the Hutongs in Beijing, cycling the walls in xian, Shanghai Disney, sleeping on a brick bed in Pingyao and of course the pandas!

Having spent a lot of time in Japan and around Asia, I still experienced culture shock in China. It was so busy, and people do not give you an personal space. There was a lot of spitting, which really grated after a while. That said, everyone we met was friendly and helpful.

Happy to give you any more info from our experience.

Edited at 06:15 PM. Reason: Photos
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Hi
We went to China DIY in April this year. We flew into Shanghai (we were using avios so it was our best option).
We then went to Beijing (by train)
and then to Xian (by train - we stopped in Pingyao to break the journey - have a google it’s a lovely, small walled city).
Then we went to Chengdu (by train) and finally flew back to Shanghai for our return flight.

The trains were great - fast bullet trains. Not quite as nice as Japanese but certainly not dirty... in fact they were going through the carriages cleaning the floors multiple times on our journeys. We travelled 2nd class generally.

We booked our trains online mostly and collected our tickets at the stations. If you buy them at the station you can only use cash so be prepared! We had no journeys longer than 4 hours.

Make sure you sort out vpn before you go so that you can get to google etc. We had no issues with our vpn.

We used public transport (metros) in all of the cities with no issues - it was all very easy (if crowded!).

We stayed in nice western hotels generally and we found them very comfortable and good quality (and cheap) - I can give you the details of where we stayed if you would like.

We used a guide once - for terracotta warriors - and he was great, he picked us up from our hotel and made sure he tailored the experience for us. The rest we found easy to do on our own.

Our highlights were hiking on The Great Wall (don’t go to Badaling it’s a tourist trap - find a group that will give you the ‘real experience’.
We loved eating in the Hutongs in Beijing, cycling the walls in xian, Shanghai Disney, sleeping on a brick bed in Pingyao and of course the pandas!

Having spent a lot of time in Japan and around Asia, I still experienced culture shock in China. It was so busy, and people do not give you an personal space. There was a lot of spitting, which really grated after a while. That said, everyone we met was friendly and helpful.

Happy to give you any more info from our experience.
Really appreciate this - I’ve PM’d you with a few questions if that’s ok but this information above has been great.

Many thanks again, more I research China can’t wait to get it all sorted.

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Old 31 Aug 19, 10:14 PM  
Link to this Post
debs2028
Imagineer

Mobile

I’ve just got back from China . I’ve always travelled independently in Asia but this time there was just myself and my son . I was worried that if something went wrong things might be difficult in a country where the vast majority of people are not able to speak English .
I did not want a group tour so got a few different quotes and ended up using Odynovo ( private tours) and honestly don’t regret the decision as it was very reasonably priced .
We did do some touring on our own also , but found it so much easier when using the tour .
With the tour you determine the itinerary etc and did not do any forced shopping .
We did a mixture of trains and planes . All were very good . Train stations are more like airports you need to leave yourself plenty of time . Passports are needed to enter station . All luggage goes through scanners and then you need to queue at your gate .
One of our surprise highlight’s was Zhangjiajie , which might be somewhere you would like to look at .
For your visa you will need to fill out the online form , print off and attend visa centre for photos and fingerprints . Cost £151 PP
Any questions ask away .. we loved it
debs2028 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 06:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by debs2028 View Post
I’ve just got back from China . I’ve always travelled independently in Asia but this time there was just myself and my son . I was worried that if something went wrong things might be difficult in a country where the vast majority of people are not able to speak English .
I did not want a group tour so got a few different quotes and ended up using Odynovo ( private tours) and honestly don’t regret the decision as it was very reasonably priced .
We did do some touring on our own also , but found it so much easier when using the tour .
With the tour you determine the itinerary etc and did not do any forced shopping .
We did a mixture of trains and planes . All were very good . Train stations are more like airports you need to leave yourself plenty of time . Passports are needed to enter station . All luggage goes through scanners and then you need to queue at your gate .
One of our surprise highlight’s was Zhangjiajie , which might be somewhere you would like to look at .
For your visa you will need to fill out the online form , print off and attend visa centre for photos and fingerprints . Cost £151 PP
Thanks for this. I’ll have a look at this company. Thanks as well for the heads up on the Visa process to, had a look at it and definitely not as simple as an ESTA!

Neil

Life's not meant to be lived in one place

The One Stop Trip Spot - all my trip reports all in one place
Old 5 Sep 19, 04:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Gunna
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by debs2028 View Post
A colleague I worked with also recommended these guys and I’ve been in touch with them over the last week.

I’ve booked with them today on a refundable deposit so I can make sure I get my flights when they’re released, they’ve given me a great early bookers discount and
once I factored in the private transfers, tour guides, tickets, meal allowances, train tickets etc... they included the prices were really good compared with what I’d priced up independently myself too.

What I liked was that they tailored it to us, dropped any shopping stops and added stuff in we wanted to see. We’ve got some free time/days too in various places so we can head out on our own to explore but have the back up of a tour company as well. Also it’s just us so we aren’t governed by a tour group any what others want to do / not do so it will suit us great.

Itinerary so far is -

Shanghai 4 nights -
Full day seeing the sights as well as a trip to a water town. Have nearly two days free so may have a Disney Trip.

Beijing 4 nights -
Forbidden city, Great Wall, summer palace, Hutongs, temple of heaven and free time too

Xian 3 nights -
Ancient walls, terracotta warriors, goose pagoda, Muslim quarter and time cooking with a local family. Plus a full day free.

Chengdu 3 nights -
Pandas, tea houses, the old town and a trip to the Leshan Buddha. Free time here to explore.

Guilin 2 nights -
Elephant Rock, Li river cruise and reed flute caves with some free afternoon/mornings

Hong Kong 4 nights -
As we leave Guilin on the train our private tour ends and we have the time here on our own. We’ll be shopping, off to see Lantau Buddha, visit the Peak, dim sum and I’m sure there’ll be a Disney day too.

I’ll start a trip report nearer the time but thanks again for all who have responded and given advice, much appreciated.

Edited at 04:09 PM.