Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 19, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
The thought of standing for 9 hrs a day cutting hair when I’m 70 fills me with horror. Sadly unless anything happens to my in laws before they have to use their money on care home fees, this will be my reality.
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Will this apply to MP’s pensions?
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

The government linked public sector retirement age for new employees a few years back to the state pension age. This means they save an absolute fortune if they change the state pension age to 69+
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
dubletrub
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 3
Mobile

I am only 51 and have an extremely manual job that I pay into a pension to but is not a great pension. I will struggle to keep going in my job until 60 never mind my current retirement age of 67. My hand arthritis is getting worse on a daily basis, I haven't even had any relief whilst being on holiday.
What these desk workers don't think about are people like me, on the lower end income scale, manual jobs on our feet for long periods. I also have stress as I have to work within budgets and have to keep a lot of people happy to keep our contract.
I think if you can stay healthy I understand that some people choose to work until they are 70. I personally wouldn't I want to enjoy some retirement time
dubletrub is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Retired on my nursing pension at 55yrs.
State pension in Five years. We sold up in the U.K., banked the money, bought here.

We did this because, we knew that retiring in the U.K. was going to be unsustainable for the future and having worked for 35 years plus I had no intention of living in poverty struggling to pay ridiculous prices for food and council taxes. The other motivation was my husbands business partner had planned to retire at 60 to France, worked hard etc. Died aged 48 from a brain tumour. It made us realise life is for living. We could not retire early in the U.K. that’s why we are here
Where do you live
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
I am 65 next week but won't get my state pension until July next year, 11 months on from my 65th birthday. Melvin was 65 in January, he got his state pension in May. When we got back from Florida in March we contacted the pension department as it says on line that if you don't get a letter from them 3 months before, contact them. It seemed that they had our address wrong

My Mum only saw 1 month of her pension as she died 1 month after her 65th birthday and in those days her company pension died with her so my dad never saw a penny.

I work in retail and feel that I will only want to work until Xmas 20, Melvin retired from BT in September 15 as he was up to full company pension.

I feel sorry for our children, as others have said we don't think they will have a state pension.

Lesley and Melvin
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
The problem is this government will do this , just like with all things austerity based, we have money for Crossrail , HS2, foreign aid to countries that have space programmes and that 99% of the country do not agree with but do will really protest about it like the French - no.

The government know they can do what they want, I've worked since I was 18 not claiming a penny and am now thinking about not retiring when I was going to just to help my children , it seems you are better off here deciding not to try and "better " yourself, unless you are really lucky and join the top 1% everything you have worked for will have to be used to help your children
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I will be 66 before my State Pension kicks in. Maybe

I do see both sides of the coin though ref those who contribute and those who don't.
My Dad retired from the Police aged 58 and never even made it to the State apension age dying when he was 64.

My Mum had to resign when she got married in 1951 and never worked again until she died in 2015 aged 93. So the Govt never got a penny from her but still paid her State Pension, winter fuel allowance and eventually a small allowance for her poor health.

So the Govt sometimes wins and sometimes loses. However the system has become unsustainable
In that situation there was no win/lose as your mum rightly got what your dad had paid in in contributions 😀 I’m sure a lot of us will know someone who died before reaching state pension age , my daughter in law lost her dad suddenly ( no ill health ) at the age of 60 , his wife is one of the WASP women and although she has worked most of her life and paid her contributions she won’t be getting her state pension till she is almost 66 , I’m beginning to wonder how many of these similar situations there are , we are constantly told people are living longer and no doubt stats are verifying this but I bet there are an awful lot of people who have been screwed by all the pension changes .
Like me Tom you will have been screwed out of around £40,000 😫
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
stecee
Imagineer

I work in a physical job and having just turned 60, sometimes struggle at work. I’ve got another 6 years to go before reaching state pension retirement age, I won’t be able to retire before then. I’m hoping that work will give me a less strenuous role as I get older.
I feel for youngsters these days, god knows what the retirement age will be in the future.
'Oct 97 Days inn main gate west, June '02 Days inn main gate west, Dec '05 All star movie resort, Aug '07 Caribbean Beach Resort, Sept '09 Port Orleans Riverside, Oct'10 Tour then villa at Highgate, May '12 Emerald Island villa. Oct '14 The Keys then SSR.
stecee is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 01:55 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Considering IDS is a backbencher and his say has as much weight as any other backbencher. He is NOT in the Government any more and hasn't since 2016... so why worry over something that isn't going to happen on this time scale if it ever did.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List