Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 18 Aug 19, 07:35 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sophiepop View Post
What happens at mco when you declare tea bags? We got pulled at Sanford and had to go through an extra check with a little sniffer dog
Hiya Sophie - arriving into MCO we now verbally declare tea bags, coffee and Cadbury's, always sent to X-ray after picking up our case, only takes a few more mins. At Atl, afore flying on to Ft Myers, our case was 'behind the scenes' opened and searched. Perhaps it's based on our declaration or, as we're snowbirds, they want to check we're not importing more than declared, only they know

Until my coffee tug I was in the 'don't declare' comfort zone. Whilst each to their own, and irrespective of any IO finding my declaration amusing, I no long take importation of any consumable as a given.
Old 18 Aug 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I always declare and welcome the sarcastic laugh...I then know the officer is human and all is good for the stamp and off I go
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
kazzykay
slightly serious Dibber

lol you dont have to declare teabags, and just take what you need in a ziplock xx
kazzykay is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I always declare and welcome the sarcastic laugh...I then know the officer is human and all is good for the stamp and off I go
To be honest I find it much easier now since the forms and kiosks disappeared. With those you only had the chance to tick the box and couldn't mitigate the answer until you spoke to the officer.

By then he was maybe thinking you had a couple of pounds of rump steak, a pint of milk and bag of Granny Smiths in your cabin bag. Much easier just to say "we've only got some instant coffee" and as you say they are always light hearted about it.

I usually ask if they have really big shops like Tesco and if they have colour TV as well. Always goes down well

Mick
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by kazzykay View Post
lol you dont have to declare teabags, and just take what you need in a ziplock xx
Really? So the official US C&BP web site that I linked in my post #20 saying that you should declare them is incorrect then?

Mick
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
silverfox46
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
To be honest I find it much easier now since the forms and kiosks disappeared. With those you only had the chance to tick the box and couldn't mitigate the answer until you spoke to the officer.

By then he was maybe thinking you had a couple of pounds of rump steak, a pint of milk and bag of Granny Smiths in your cabin bag. Much easier just to say "we've only got some instant coffee" and as you say they are always light hearted about it.

I usually ask if they have really big shops like Tesco and if they have colour TV as well. Always goes down well

Mick
lol Mick, I’m not brave enough to answer them back after I’ve finished declaring my goodies. Prefer my esta to stay intact .
silverfox46 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by silverfox46 View Post
lol Mick, I’m not brave enough to answer them back after I’ve finished declaring my goodies. Prefer my esta to stay intact .
It's when I ask if they have safe fresh running water as well that they usually get a bit miffed.
Old 18 Aug 19, 08:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

We go on what we were told if it goes in your mouth apart from medication declare it
I’ve usually got a list an arm long for expat friends all written down and print out of the ingredients just show it and get thanks mam no need for a second bag check
I value my. eSTA and global entry and not risking getting pulled over
On every future visit or a fine that pay for a few trips
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 09:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gryff View Post
We go on what we were told if it goes in your mouth apart from medication declare it
I’ve usually got a list an arm long for expat friends all written down and print out of the ingredients just show it and get thanks mam no need for a second bag check
I value my. eSTA and global entry and not risking getting pulled over
On every future visit or a fine that pay for a few trips
Helen

As you say the law is perfectly clear and we all know that they are really only concerned about importing meat, fish, dairy, fruit etc. I also know that maybe 90% of Immigration officers get frustrated when us Brits talk about tea and coffee.

However for as long as coffee appears on the list I'll continue to declare. One day we may encounter that one officer who isn't so relaxed about tea and coffee.

Mick

Edited at 09:09 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Aug 19, 01:43 AM  
Link to this Post
MarkUKinOrlando
Imagineer

You can save luggage space and buy your tea bags here. Publix and Walmart both carry UK teabags. Usually boxes of 40 or 80. The International Food Club near Universal sell larger amounts and more varieties.
MarkUKinOrlando is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List