Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Aug 19, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile Ideas for quick privacy in pots for the garden

As promised the neighbour has completely stripped what was a beautiful lovingly cared for mature garden. I've come home to one side totally exposed on one side. I can now sit in my lounge watching the neighbour at the bottom folding sheets in her utility. The poor birds look lost as a beautiful tree has gone. I need something tall and fast growing to be out in large pots to give me some much valued privacy. I'm not a massive fan of bamboo but know it's good for a screen. Any suggestions on something that is happy in a big pot please?
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

Is there still a fence between you ? Could you attach something to it for privacy ? Would be quicker and probably cheaper than buying very large plants ?
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:37 PM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

I was going to suggest bamboo but maybe portuguese laurel, that will grow fairly quick and is evergreen or maybe a griselinia littoralis (new zealand broadleaf).

Why have they cut everything down ?
Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Saratoga Treehouse, Beach Club, Coronado Springs Resort, Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort, Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort, Disneyland Villa's, Aulani
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Still a fence thankfully but I'm sure the older bottom section will now fall down as there's nothing the other side to hold it up. It sounds really ridiculous to say but I came home and got really upset. I love my totally private garden and while I know you can't expect people to keep trees and bushes to maintain that it looks hideous. They clearly don't like gardening. The garden was immaculate with the previous owners and they've literally cleared the entire back garden leaving a few small shrubs and pots.
I have a long path to a side gate that side with a very small border with sleepers that has lavender and clematis in further down. It won't fit a large shrub hence the need for pots.

Edited at 08:51 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Scarlet Wilow beautiful red stems in Winter tolerates sun and shade
Best grown in a soil based compost if in pots something lJohn Innes
Water well till established pots might be better on feet just in case of frost
Also tolerates cold wind well
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Is there still a fence between you ? Could you attach something to it for privacy ? Would be quicker and probably cheaper than buying very large plants ?
It's going to get pretty windy now everything has gone we are very close to the sea. Not sure anything would stay on the fence like trellis.
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Blue nose
Imagineer

Mobile

My MIL has laurels. They grow in about 6inch of border.

I have bamboo. Again about 6 inch border.
Blue nose is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

lol,at cordalines but will need winter protection Pampas Grass and many of the grass type plants do well,in pots and are salt tolerant
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 07:50 AM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I wasn’t a fan of Bamboo but there are lots of different ones out there and they are quick growing. We put 4 bamboo plants between us and our neighbour in May in a planter. I’ve been pleasantly surprised and love the noise they make when the wind whistles through them. We have a laurel hedge out the front and it is much slower growing.
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Aug 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mature bamboo already in huge pots is going to cost you a fortune. If you buy smaller ones to grow on yourself it's going to be 2 - 3 years before they get their roots settled and 'get going' ( I grow bamboos) so I'm not sure that's a good option.
I think I'd be looking at putting up a 6ft new fence
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List