Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 22 Aug 19, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Parkie
Getting Excited

Yeah just read it, highway robber. Even if you opt out they still charge you $9 for admin fees lol
Parkie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

For some reason I still get nervous just driving through in the Sunpass lane in the Alamo car- the signs saying 'Enforcement $100 fine' 'Sunpass Only' etc. First time I went though by accident I thought I would get a big bill (that was in NYC). Then I learned on here via Mick that you just drive on through and they add about $3.00 a day admin fee on- I cannot be bothered stopping now, but may try this visitors pass thing when I come at Xmas.
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Parkie View Post
Yeah just read it, highway robber. Even if you opt out they still charge you $9 for admin fees lol
I think that you have to leave your youngest child at the terminal desk as security if you opt out.

Mick
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
For some reason I still get nervous just driving through in the Sunpass lane in the Alamo car- the signs saying 'Enforcement $100 fine' 'Sunpass Only' etc. First time I went though by accident I thought I would get a big bill (that was in NYC). Then I learned on here via Mick that you just drive on through and they add about $3.00 a day admin fee on- I cannot be bothered stopping now, but may try this visitors pass thing when I come at Xmas.
For as long as it stays on the free promotion I can't see any faults at all with the VTP. Apparently you also get a small discount on the posted toll charges as well. I suppose if they introduce a fee of around $20 it will then be the same as Alamo and Avis.

You can sign up now if you like for Christmas - you don't have to be travelling during the free period.

Mick
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Lumiere
Trying for More Ears

I'm thinking of using the VTP for our trip, just worried that I end up paying twice through Avis and then through the Toll Pass. Has anyone actually used it yet on here?
Lumiere is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
florida addict
Imagineer

florida addict's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Reccomend the visitor toll pass as it was brilliant and so easy to sign up and drop the tag off.
Old 22 Aug 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
For as long as it stays on the free promotion I can't see any faults at all with the VTP. Apparently you also get a small discount on the posted toll charges as well. I suppose if they introduce a fee of around $20 it will then be the same as Alamo and Avis.

You can sign up now if you like for Christmas - you don't have to be travelling during the free period.

Mick
Just signed up now Mick thanks.

It says you have to opt out of the car hire toll system on the T&Cs- but with Alamo I do not think you can do this- do you actually have to do that do you know or not bother. I do not wish to be going to Alamo counter. It may be the T&Cs are just badly worded or do not take into account Alamo is auto enrolment- not sure.

Ta
Old 22 Aug 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Just signed up now Mick thanks.

It says you have to opt out of the car hire toll system on the T&Cs- but with Alamo I do not think you can do this- do you actually have to do that do you know or not bother. I do not wish to be going to Alamo counter. It may be the T&Cs are just badly worded or do not take into account Alamo is auto enrolment- not sure.

Ta
You don't have to opt in or out of any Sunpass scheme as far as I know - except of course Dollar . All Sunpass is toll by plate in Florida so simply driving through any Sunpass lane without stopping enrols you in.

I'm assuming that the VTP acts like some sort of transponder and is read by the overhead gizmos (technical expression). I assume it then disengages the camera so your plate isn't photographed so Sunpass doesn't click in.

There is a massive VTP thread somewhere on here and loads of Dibbers have used it I think. Had they had a bill for tolls and admin fee charged to their credit card for Alamo Sunpass as well as the VTP charges on their CC I'd guess the DIBB would be in meltdown.

I've signed up even though our toll use in a 4 week holiday is only around $10 and I'm still doing STC with Alamo

Mick
Old 22 Aug 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordie boy 57
Imagineer

Geordie boy 57's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mick View Post
If the VTP is successful I guess I won't be asked regularly to post my toll plaza photos which I seem to have done at least a hundred times over years.

First one on 417 south after leaving MCO

Unmanned at j2 off the 417. If not using Sunpass or the VTP you'll need four quarters to throw in the basket (at April)

Mick
Missed your toll pics Mick
Not been on here for a while
2018 3 weeks Dibb villa/1 night Clearwater/1 night RPR
2023 Christmas/New Year. Clearwater/Dibb villa/HRH
Geordie boy 57 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Aug 19, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
I'm thinking of using the VTP for our trip, just worried that I end up paying twice through Avis and then through the Toll
Pass. Has anyone actually used it yet on here?
Originally Posted by florida addict View Post
Reccomend the visitor toll pass as it was brilliant and so easy to sign up and drop the tag off.
Florida Addict

Could you please allay Lumiere (and later Dibbers) fears please. Hopefully no extra admin fee and toll charges have hit your CC beyond VTP?

Mick