Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 23 Aug 19, 04:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
I think like others, I'll just give it a go!
Worst case is I get charged twice but the VTP site has a contact number for if that happens. It's obviously a new system so there may well be teething problems.
As you say the worst that will happen to us if we get charged twice is that I'll drive through the Sunpass lanes at the three plazas on 417 south to either j2 or j3 (as the mood takes us) which will cost me around $8 including the Alamo daily fee. Then the same on the last day.

If I find that I'm losing sleep over it then I'll log on to the Sunpass toll checker after a couple of days to make sure - somehow though I think I'll have more important things to think about.

Mick
Old 23 Aug 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lumiere
Trying for More Ears

Exactly Mick, either way it's not going to break the bank.
Hopefully it becomes a successful system, and it may even force the hire car companies hands to cut their fees!
Lumiere is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic mouse1
Proud to wear my Ears

Has anybody had any trouble signing up to it when I try it says error validating credit card, please enter a valid credit card.
Double checked all details are correct , any help
Magic mouse1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Lumiere View Post
Exactly Mick, either way it's not going to break the bank.
Hopefully it becomes a successful system, and it may even force the hire car companies hands to cut their fees!
The only way I can see it not being popular is if they eventually introduce an admin fee which is in excess of the current Alamo/Avis maximum.

The only thing I'm currently thinking about is how big the queue might be on side B when we collect it. We are usually like Usain Bolt off the monorail over to the garage but as I've said on the DIBB a hundred times the cars are refreshed constantly anyway. So getting to the garage at 4.05 instead of 4.00 might mean a better choice. Who knows?

Mick
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by Magic mouse1 View Post
Has anybody had any trouble signing up to it when I try it says error validating credit card, please enter a valid credit card.
Double checked all details are correct , any help
Just a thought. Have you tried entering the 16 digit card number without spaces?

Mick
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Magic mouse1
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks entered it manually and went through , I scanned it last time with iPad thank you
Magic mouse1 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi Magic Mouse1
Same here, scared and it didn’t work. Manual input and went through.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Aug 19, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Personally I can't see a single downside. Dibbers have already used it without being charged twice. I have a permanent transponder stuck to my windscreen and set for automatic top up from my credit card. The portable ones are about $20 so not worth it for most tourists. The new scheme simply lets tourists borrow one for free as long as they return it.

The system will always default to a transponder instead of "Toll by Plate" if one is in the car. That is what happens 1,000's of times a day for locals. The overhead gantries will still take a picture of my car so don't panic if you see a flash. The fee for the automatic payment is approximately 10 or 15% cheaper than cash. The convenience of not even having to slow down, dig for change or worry about the increasing number of cash less tolls is also valuable. I also believe they are heading towards 100% cashless tolls. The costs saved in manpower and cash handling will be immense.
Old 23 Aug 19, 06:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Personally I can't see a single downside. Dibbers have already used it without being charged twice. I have a permanent transponder stuck to my windscreen and set for automatic top up from my credit card. The portable ones are about $20 so not worth it for most tourists. The new scheme simply lets tourists borrow one for free as long as they return it.

The system will always default to a transponder instead of "Toll by Plate" if one is in the car. That is what happens 1,000's of times a day for locals. The overhead gantries will still take a picture of my car so don't panic if you see a flash. The fee for the automatic payment is approximately 10 or 15% cheaper than cash. The convenience of not even having to slow down, dig for change or worry about the increasing number of cash less tolls is also valuable. I also believe they are heading towards 100% cashless tolls. The costs saved in manpower and cash handling will be immense.
Thank you Donna for explaining the "gizmos" and "thingys" far better than I did.

As you say while VTP is admin fee free and discounted toll charges = win/win.

Mick
Old 24 Aug 19, 07:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rbf1979
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We always go to the currency exchange place at the US airport and change $5 into quarters. But rarely go through tolls. In fact last two trips didn’t go through any👍
Rbf1979 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List