Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Closed Thread

Old 18 Aug 19, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile Letting server know you tip like a local

I've been going to the States for over 20 years and know the tipping culture well. I always budget for a 18 - 20% tip for full service meals but the last couple of years I've noticed we've had some really poor service and downright rude servers. One time we were given the bill BEFORE our main course arrived! The manager was called and we did get an apology and offered free dessert but it really bothered me that they just wanted to get us out as quickly as possible.
This, whilst also observing the same server giving American families seated near us a much better service. I'm beginning to think it's because some don't expect British tourists to tip well and so give the bare minimum they think they can get away with. Now I should say this doesn't happen a lot but it's enough to make me wonder if I should make the server aware at the start that I know how to tip properly. Anyone else do this, or had similar experiences? I'm mainly talking about offsite restaurants btw.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Sioux View Post
I've been going to the States for over 20 years and know the tipping culture well. I always budget for a 18 - 20% tip for full service meals but the last couple of years I've noticed we've had some really poor service and downright rude servers. One time we were given the bill BEFORE our main course arrived! The manager was called and we did get an apology and offered free dessert but it really bothered me that they just wanted to get us out as quickly as possible.
This, whilst also observing the same server giving American families seated near us a much better service. I'm beginning to think it's because some don't expect British tourists to tip well and so give the bare minimum they think they can get away with. Now I should say this doesn't happen a lot but it's enough to make me wonder if I should make the server aware at the start that I know how to tip properly. Anyone else do this, or had similar experiences? I'm mainly talking about offsite restaurants btw.
We experienced this in The Flying Fish so it isn’t just in offsite restaurants.
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

More likely to be server knows Brits will often sit there and take it, and Americans will play merry hell if they don't get served well, and won't leave any tip.
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Joshie1 View Post
We experienced this in The Flying Fish so it isn’t just in offsite restaurants.
I don't tend to eat at full service restaurants in the parks so it's a shame to hear it happens there too.
Sioux is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
More likely to be server knows Brits will often sit there and take it, and Americans will play merry hell if they don't get served well, and won't leave any tip.
I guess I have been guilty of just paying up without saying anything. When I did speak to the manager (in Longhorn's which is one of my favourite places to eat) he was very apologetic and so was the server.
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Maddy50
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

We have been to the Outback Steakhouse many times over the last 10 years. My son is autistic and will only eat at certain places and the Outback is one if them (he loves the bread). On our recent visit we ate there 4 times. On our first visit we had the same server we had the previous year and she remembered us. She was friendly and helpful, we gave her a 20% tip as it was well deserved. On our second visit we had the same server again. On our third visit we had a different server. He was not as friendly as our first server and made us feel a little unwelcome. Our first served walked past our table while the new server was there and gave us a lovely greeting and said how nice it was to see us all again. The atitude of the new server changed completely at this point and he became super friendly and helpful. So to answer your question I do think that some of the servers believe that us brits will not tip well or return more than once on our vacations.
Maddy50 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

I was under the impression from threads that I’ve read on here that locals don’t tip anywhere near 18% -20%. So maybe you need to let them know that you won’t be tipping like a local. 😉 😂
Rac20 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
That’s awful to think they are only being nice for tips, so they are all nasty and put on a fake niceness for tips. I do find a lot of Americans sound fake but I thought that’s just how they were but I was probably right they are over nice for a good tip!
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Bad service don’t get a tip simple .
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Sioux
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Maddy50 View Post
We have been to the Outback Steakhouse many times over the last 10 years. My son is autistic and will only eat at certain places and the Outback is one if them (he loves the bread). On our recent visit we ate there 4 times. On our first visit we had the same server we had the previous year and she remembered us. She was friendly and helpful, we gave her a 20% tip as it was well deserved. On our second visit we had the same server again. On our third visit we had a different server. He was not as friendly as our first server and made us feel a little unwelcome. Our first served walked past our table while the new server was there and gave us a lovely greeting and said how nice it was to see us all again. The atitude of the new server changed completely at this point and he became super friendly and helpful. So to answer your question I do think that some of the servers believe that us brits will not tip well or return more than once on our vacations.
How lovely that your first server remembered you. We haven't had that at a restaurant but we stayed in the same hotel 4 years running and got to know a couple of the Reception staff so it was always nice to get a lovely greeting from them as if we were old friends.
Closed Thread