Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 20 Aug 19, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
AngelAli
New Poster (3)

Mobile Where do I begin planning?

We are a family of 6, hoping to go to Florida in 2020. We are restricted to Scottish school holidays due to the age of our youngest 3 kids (17 and twins at 14) and also have a 21 year old. So technically are they all classed as adults? Anyway we are unsure of whether to stay on-site (expensive but kids are free to roam using Disney transport), off-site (cheaper and more accessible to shops/restaurants) or do a twin centre for some beach time. We would like to keep the cost down as much as possible so will maybe look at booking things individually by have only ever done this in Europe. HELP DIBB experts!
AngelAli is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
joeym
Excited about Disney

Hey there
Personally we have never stayed onsite, we like to wander up and down international drive for food and have found it extremely safe , There’s loads of eateries at various price levels and Walgreens for groceries, mini golf , we like to go to an Irish bar called the lucky leprechaun which has entertainment on and pool tables etc for the kids .
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
JP81
Imagineer

JP81's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Are you even sure Disney is for your kids? As they are a bit older and I feel it's centred more on the 10 and under bracket?
Also, your airline will class u18's as kids, but for Park Tickets, the cut-off is 9.

Second the Lucky Leprechaun, though.
May 2023 Rosen Int'l
JP81 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 09:54 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JP81 View Post
Are you even sure Disney is for your kids? As they are a bit older and I feel it's centred more on the 10 and under bracket?
Also, your airline will class u18's as kids, but for Park Tickets, the cut-off is 9.

Airlines consider children over the age of 12 as adults.

I'm not sure you can say WDW is centred on under 10's. Some parts of MK may well be but there's certainly lots in that park suitable for all ages. The three other parks are very much geared up to folks that fall within the OPs age group
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by AngelAli View Post
We are a family of 6, hoping to go to Florida in 2020. We are restricted to Scottish school holidays due to the age of our youngest 3 kids (17 and twins at 14) and also have a 21 year old. So technically are they all classed as adults? Anyway we are unsure of whether to stay on-site (expensive but kids are free to roam using Disney transport), off-site (cheaper and more accessible to shops/restaurants) or do a twin centre for some beach time. We would like to keep the cost down as much as possible so will maybe look at booking things individually by have only ever done this in Europe. HELP DIBB experts!

Personally with a family of 6 I would go for a villa so you have extra space. I appreciate your thoughts on the freedom onsite offers the kids but would imagine you will need a couple of rooms which will bump the price up.

What dates are you looking at
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Gav
slightly serious Dibber

I wouldn’t be leaving the youngest kids to roam about on Disney transport alone. It’s a massive area. Fair enough letting them do their own thing in the park for a bit though.
Gav is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
smoggy123
Apprentice Imagineer

smoggy123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Whaaaaat! We are taking our 'kids' back next year, they will be 18 and 20 when we go, and they can't wait!

They were 10 and and almost 12 the first time we went, and were 14 and and almost 16 the last time. They've loved it at all ages
Old Key West JULY/AUGUST (18 nights, with a Universal hotel thrown in somewhere!) 2015
Old Key West JUNE 2020 (2 WEEKS)
smoggy123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

I know at that ages mine would have been bored witless with 2 weeks on site at Disney even withnabitnof freedom but you are talking about them roaming an area the size of greater Manchester in a foreign country.
Maybe look at a Condo with 3 bedrooms with transport to the parks if you don't want to drive maybe Universal Sea World and Busch Gardens
Might Apeal more with a day or 2 at Disney
Or even a villa still,a poolfor you to chill at and them to keep in touch with friends etc at home
If you look at the first weekend the kids break up Manchester flights can save a fortune for 6 adults even taking in hotel car parking or train
Indirect if they break up mid week the next day can also be much cheaper
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparky
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

You are correct... whatever age you are once you get to Disney you feel like you are a 10 year old again... Can only assume that’s what you mean

Disneyworld - Florida, 81,93,06,07,14,16,18,22,23,24
Disneyland - California, 89
Disneyland - Paris, 02,04,05,07,12
Sparky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Aug 19, 11:33 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

First thing is to know what your kids will enjoy. I don’t agree that WDW is best for under 10’s. It’s best if you like it! I have a 20 year old lad and a 17 year old girl. My son will not come to Disney with us any more (he’s been a dozen times in his childhood). He’s agree he’s ‘too old’. My daughter however would go every year multiple times if we could afford it! As yours are older if they are all up for Disney I would do very careful maths. You need two rooms (value, moderate or deluxe resort) or a family suite (value resort x2), a cabin at Fort Wilderness or a 2 bed DVC villa to stay on site. You could rent points for the DVC option. At Disney you wouldn’t need a car. You may still qualify for free dining. A villa will give you a lot more space and access to cheaper eats but will probably confine you all to a single vehicle and therefore pretty much shared plans every day. I’m an on site fan and at nearly 50 love the Disney parks as much as your average 8 year old so my position is not for all! I own young adults though and in your position I’d do two moderate resort rooms on property. Put the 4 kids in one of them and me and DH in the other and I’d do a mix of together and letting them roam.