Go Back   theDIBB - Disney With A British Accent > DIBB Members Trip Reports > General Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories
Orlando Attractions
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 21 Nov 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
#17
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by collybird View Post
I bet you appreciated that extra hour of sleep.

I do hope Dave's replacement eye mask will be in his stocking at Christmas!

It makes me want to cry that at 14 Max still chose the play park as his favourite thing, don't tell him that though, I wouldn't want to embarrass him, but it is so sweet that there's still a child inside of that tall teenager.

Thank you for sharing your German adventure with us, it has really reminded me how much we love exploring places.
We did have a lovely relaxed morning and the extra hour was much appreciated.

I agree it's nice that even though Max can be surly and at home his favourite thing to do is play Fortnite on the PlayStation, he still loves to play in a park and there is still a little boy in there.

I hope you enjoyed reading a little about Berlin and our experiences of it. It was a fun trip. I like to think that if I take the kids to somewhere cultural and interesting in October half term then we are fully vindicated in returning to Florida for some fun each summer! Well, that's my current story anyway!
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Dec 18, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post
#18
Gill H
VIP Dibber

 
Join Date: Jan 08
Location: London

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Lovely last day. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for writing.
__________________
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Tokyo for silver wedding
Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Dec 18, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
#19
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
Lovely last day. Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for writing.
I hope we've inspired you to head over to Berlin or Germany. We've done a few city breaks now and I really did enjoy this one as a laid back walking holiday it was perfect. A great balance for us of getting to know the city as it is and also finding out about it's past. We had some great food along the way and really did enjoy ourselves.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 18, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
#20
hornetgirl
VIP Dibber

 
hornetgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 12
Hi Abby, we find ourselves unexpectedly spending a day and a half in Berlin in January so I had a quick look for trip reports and yours was the first I found!
Obviously we won't have much time so I wondered what you would consider the absolute must sees and, importantly, where we must eat. We'll be staying near Potsdammer Platz.
Great report, thank you for sharing.
__________________
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yacht Club...ahoy there
Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 18, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
#21
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
Hi Abby, we find ourselves unexpectedly spending a day and a half in Berlin in January so I had a quick look for trip reports and yours was the first I found!
Obviously we won't have much time so I wondered what you would consider the absolute must sees and, importantly, where we must eat. We'll be staying near Potsdammer Platz.
Great report, thank you for sharing.
If you've only got a short stay and are near Potsdamer Platz then I would eat at the Lindenbrau restaurant. You can look the menu up online. It's traditional Bavarian food and it was great. The restaurant is on three floors (actually it may be more than that).

Although our favourite was Maximillians but that will be a little bit more of a walk back to your hotel after the meal. We really enjoyed it and went back there for our last meal.

For the must sees. I would head to the Holocaust Memorial from your hotel it will only be a 5 to 10 minute walk. Then you can walk to the Brandenburg Gate and through it to the main road which goes over the river to the Eastern side of Berlin. This will be about a 30 minute walk, or you could use the metro. If you walk then you will pass lots of the museums, squares and the Humboldt university which are all quite interesting even if you don't go inside them.

When you get to the river you could then go to Alexanderplatz which has the World Clock and is the place where the East Berliners gathered to protest the old regime just before the wall came down.

Alternatively, instead of walking in the city you could head into the park after visiting the memorial and Brandenburg Gate and make your way to Victory column which is sort of central in the park. The view from the top is amazing (so I'm told, I was a bit scared up there after climbing the stairs and didn't enjoy it as much as the others).

If you have time the following day then I would head out in the opposite direction to the Topography of terrors which is a free museum about how Hitler came to power and the Holocaust and is built on the site of the old SS headquarters. There are sections of the Berlin wall still standing on the site and this is really close to check
point Charlie.

Of course, you should try to spot as many bears as you can! I hope you have a lovely trip.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 18, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
#22
hornetgirl
VIP Dibber

 
hornetgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 12
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
If you've only got a short stay and are near Potsdamer Platz then I would eat at the Lindenbrau restaurant. You can look the menu up online. It's traditional Bavarian food and it was great. The restaurant is on three floors (actually it may be more than that).

Although our favourite was Maximillians but that will be a little bit more of a walk back to your hotel after the meal. We really enjoyed it and went back there for our last meal.

For the must sees. I would head to the Holocaust Memorial from your hotel it will only be a 5 to 10 minute walk. Then you can walk to the Brandenburg Gate and through it to the main road which goes over the river to the Eastern side of Berlin. This will be about a 30 minute walk, or you could use the metro. If you walk then you will pass lots of the museums, squares and the Humboldt university which are all quite interesting even if you don't go inside them.

When you get to the river you could then go to Alexanderplatz which has the World Clock and is the place where the East Berliners gathered to protest the old regime just before the wall came down.

Alternatively, instead of walking in the city you could head into the park after visiting the memorial and Brandenburg Gate and make your way to Victory column which is sort of central in the park. The view from the top is amazing (so I'm told, I was a bit scared up there after climbing the stairs and didn't enjoy it as much as the others).

If you have time the following day then I would head out in the opposite direction to the Topography of terrors which is a free museum about how Hitler came to power and the Holocaust and is built on the site of the old SS headquarters. There are sections of the Berlin wall still standing on the site and this is really close to check
point Charlie.

Of course, you should try to spot as many bears as you can! I hope you have a lovely trip.
That's fabulous, thank you so much.
Bear spotting will obviously be on the agenda
__________________
hornetgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yacht Club...ahoy there
Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
#23
Cazzius
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Cazzius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 16
What a nice way to spend your last day, doing the highlights from earlier on in the trip

The park that Max chose does look like a lot of fun, especially the obstacle course.

I am glad that you had a good lunch in Maximilians, I always hope that places I recommend work out for people, especially if I haven't been for a while. Everything you had there looked yummy.

A shame about the bumpy flight home but at least you weren't delayed.

How exciting that you already have a few more trips on the agenda. I went to Washington DC recently for work, and before that as I surprised the BF with a trip for his 30th birthday, so I might have some recommendations if you would like them

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us, it really made me want to go back to Berlin.
__________________
Have Courage & Be Kind

First Time Floribobs (The Irma Remix) - WDW trip report *Complete*
While The Cat's Away, The Caz Will Play With The Mouse - Solo DLP Trip Report
Cazzius is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Yacht Clubbing
Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
#24
Goldia
Thread Starter
VIP Dibber

 
Goldia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 16

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Cazzius View Post
What a nice way to spend your last day, doing the highlights from earlier on in the trip

The park that Max chose does look like a lot of fun, especially the obstacle course.

I am glad that you had a good lunch in Maximilians, I always hope that places I recommend work out for people, especially if I haven't been for a while. Everything you had there looked yummy.

A shame about the bumpy flight home but at least you weren't delayed.

How exciting that you already have a few more trips on the agenda. I went to Washington DC recently for work, and before that as I surprised the BF with a trip for his 30th birthday, so I might have some recommendations if you would like them

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us, it really made me want to go back to Berlin.
We all enjoyed doing our highlights tour for the last day.

The pavement trampolines were such a silly little thing, but Kate was very keen to go back.

Maximillians was great to return to for our last meal. I was really surprised at how inexpensive Berlin was, compared to London where everything seems so pricey.

I can't seem to help myself with planning more trips. This year we have a lot of exciting holidays lined up. Kate and me are off to DLP in February for 4 nights. Then we have Orlando again with my parents this time, so that will be really exciting, I hope they love it. Then at the end of August we are going to Morzine in the Alps on a big family trip with my parents and my brothers and their families. Finally we are doing a trip to Washington DC in October so any tips you have will be gratefully received.
__________________
Abby

Currently writing
Yo Ho, A Disney Life for Me - Summer 2020 pre trip

Now complete
The Bare Necessities Summer 2019

Washington DC October 2019

All my old trip reports are here in one place
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
6th time lucky, CBR again
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TravelPlanners

theDIBB Menu


US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2052
Covent Garden FX  $1.2328
M&S  $1.1937
Post Office  $1.1874
Sainsburys  $1.1984
TESCO  $1.1819
Travelex  $1.1900
Updated: 01:30 30/03/2020

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0961
Covent Garden FX  €1.1029
M&S  €1.0825
Post Office  €1.0760
Sainsburys  €1.0908
TESCO  €1.0750
Travelex  €1.0800
Updated: 01:30 30/03/2020

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Sun 29th Mar 8:43pm
Now: 28C/82F
Clear Sky
Clear Sky
Cloud Cover: 1%
Wind: 4mph - S Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1020mb
Humidity: 51%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 00:40 30/03/2020