Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 26 Aug 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Which to do: DAH MK on our transfer day or AK?

So, dilemma:
First timers, a couple. Staying at AKL for 10 nights then RP at US for 4. We really want to do a Disney AH event and we’d prefer MK. The only one during our stay is on the day we transfer to Universal. We were not planning on hitting the parks at US that day anyway (leaving AKL around noon and then just doing the pool and City Walk) but would it be madness getting an Uber back to do MK after hours and then another Uber back to Universal after? We’d obviously miss early hours on the Tuesday at US as we’d be sleeping in a bit but since we have the whole of Tues, Wed and Thurs as well as Fri morning to do US does it really matter?

Alternatively, we can do AK after hours half way through our Disney stay without impacting much, but since we haven’t been before we aren’t sure how much we’d enjoy Pandora, Dino etc. For full disclosure, I went to Disneyland Paris many years ago so I’m familiar with some of the MK rides.

Any advice from anyone who has been before?

Edited at 08:41 PM.
writersblock is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
I’m interested in the reasoning behind wanting to fork out for this event when you are staying on site and presumably have Disney park tickets? I’d just make use of extra magic hours and put the cost of an after hours event towards something else. I certainly wouldn’t pay for an Uber to go all the way back when you’ve just left!

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Because it seems like a fun way to do one of the parks, because we are both night owls, because a park with low crowd levels sounds fun, because it frees up time elsewhere. Because we can.
writersblock is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 05:13 AM  
Link to this Post

I do see the point of the After Dark events and have previously done the AK one, I am doing both on my next trip. I would not go back from Universal on transfer day to do it though, I would rule it out as not lining up with plans properly.

After my next trip I will be able to better judge which one is best, if there is a best that is. However last time, where I was able to pick between the two, I picked AK because we had never been to Pandora before and because AK has tiered FP that can make planning more difficult and because it was hard to get either FoP or even Navi River as an on the day FP. I find in MK there is always plenty of on the day FP availability and the only thing we have ever not managed to get on the day is 7DMT.

That said, if you are not interested in AK, I wouldn't try to talk you into it. I wouldn't do either in your shoes.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:24 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We’ve considered the AK one although can’t justify the added expensive. I would do it for access to Flight of Passage alone.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
squishy
Imagineer

squishy's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

I haven’t done either, but am considering both... if pressed to choose, I think I’d go for AK for easy access to FOP. There are other ways to explore MK and get on those rides, I think and as you’re going at a quieter time, I think that would be my preference
DLP DCR - 2009
squishy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all for the replies. We are a bit dubious about the AK one because there are only six rides. Is it worth it for that? Still eyeing up MK and I don’t think it will impact Universal much because the parks close at 8pm there anyway.
Old 1 Sep 19, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by writersblock View Post
Thanks all for the replies. We are a bit dubious about the AK one because there are only six rides. Is it worth it for that? Still eyeing up MK and I don’t think it will impact Universal much because the parks close at 8pm there anyway.
Have you looked at any YouTube videos? I know Tim Tracker did the AK one.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
writersblock
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by sha9 View Post
Have you looked at any YouTube videos? I know Tim Tracker did the AK one.
Yes we have. I think because we’ve not been to WDW before we have no idea which rides we will actually like, so with only the six open, if we don’t like a couple then it suddenly becomes a waste of money. I think MK is by far the better spend (I love the idea of AK generally, and we are staying at AKL, but so much of the Park is closed at this event).