Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 18 Oct 19, 06:05 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

Florida Trip no3 - Day 5 - September 2019

Index Here

Day 5 - 18th September 2019 - Typhoon Lagoon, All Star Movies and Hollywood Studios

We are getting into our morning routine now, and wake around half 8. We have the usual breakfast of bagels and cream cheese whilst watching more repeats of the classic cartoons.

Our stay at the Port Orleans is unfortunately coming to an end, we have loved every second. I love how small the resort is, and the easy laid back vibe, no where is really crowded and we could often walk to our room without seeing anyone. So as we are moving hotels we need to get our stuff together, we have been living out of our cases for the last few days so it’s a case of dump and zip them up, but we have somehow managed to acquire a lot of other stuff that won’t fit in, so 2 cases, our hand luggage and now about 5 Walmart bags of stuff are packed into the car.

Check out of the hotel all smoothly, and there are no parking charges which is a relief. Todays plan is to head to Typhoon Lagoon, then over to the new resort. Now anyone that has done this route from POR will know how easy it is, but somehow for us we took the wrong turning, and ended up headed towards Epcot, we took a wrong turn again and come upto Epcot’s parking booths, luckily they waved us through and back onto the main road, driving aimlessly we then head down to Magic Kingdom before doing a massive loop and sailed past French Quarter again. This time we stick to going straight and are at Typhoon Lagoon in 3 mins, and arrive just before 11.

Blizzard Beach is closed for renovation so half expecting Typoon lagoon to be rammed. But no, we park about 3 rows from the front, stroll in and find some beds near the lagoon. We waste no time in getting in and soon enough are being battered by the massive waves. We do about 5 laps of the lazy river and do a couple of the slides, with no wait time.

For Lunch we decide on a couple of pretzels, and as we have started to dry off a little we decide to call it a day. Its been a great day, spent a good couple of hours in the pools, got on a few slides with little to no wait, and I am still surprised at how quite it is. We head on out and call in to Walmart to pick up some more supplies for the next few days. We get some more breakfast stuff for the room, and we buy a barrel of paracetamol and ibuprofen for $2, no restrictions here!

From Walmart we head to our home for the next 8 nights, the All Star Movies resort. When booking the Music and Sports was a little cheaper, but the prospect of a new room was worth the extra cash.

At check in all was going smoothly until she says, ‘I see you got a car so that’s $13 a night parking fee’ I reply with erm no we are from the UK so we don’t pay for parking, she laughs and says ‘no I don’t think so, if you want to park your car here it’s $13 a night’ I reiterate my point again and she checks with her colleague standing next to her who also agrees, and says no parking is to be charged. So I get my phone out and bring up the Disney website that states UK guests get free parking until the end of the year, so she goes to her supervisor who of course says it’s fine, and proceeds to finish of check in.

I would hate to think of the thousands of UK guests who have parked here recently who have been charged and not realised. I know we are probably the only country to still get free parking, but for the staff not to know seems ridiculous, given how big a market we are to Disney. I also opt out of mouse keeping again and she emails over the $70 gift card.

We are allocated block 2 in Mighty Ducks, after the check in experience I am expecting an old room, so we drive round to our block up the lift to the 3rd floor, open the door and are greeted by a lovely modern room, very similar layout to the POR resort, massive TV, nice comfy bed, only different really is there is only 1 sink in the bathroom. Glad I paid the little extra over the other resorts, makes it miles better having a nice room to relax in.

We unpack a little, or should i say unzip our cases and re arrange them, take showers and watch a Beauty and the Beast Sing a long on tv. Queue some awful singing, just hope the walls are soundproof!

Hollywood Studios is our next park of choice this evening, so we get to experience the bus service from a different resort. We head down and join the queue which is not too bad and within about 5 minutes we are being loaded on. Of course being me we get dropped off way at the back of the bus station, so have a hike to the entrance.

I booked a throw away show this morning to skip the FP tiers and our Tier 1FP is for Rock n Roller Coaster, love this ride and prefer it over the Paris version (although it is no more). We are loaded into our Limo and have Dude looks like a lady to accompany us around. Last year when we rode this we lost one of our magic bands, not this year! Thanks to the tips from the folk on here!

From here we head to a very busy Fantasmic, we have a Fp for it, so we are in and sat down nice and easy. You all know the show, it’s a lovely story and all the characters were out in force. Once over we join the other couple of thousand or so people trying to leave at the same time and head to Toy story mania where I get us a last min Fp.

The queue is a little weird rather than going inside they direct us round the back of the building and get us back in via a fire escape door. We really enjoy the ride and even if your hand aches after! I win this round, so our standing for Toy Story Mania is 1 nill to me!

We have only had a small lunch and no dinner so it’s coming to half 9 and we go to Woody’s lunch box for food, 2 grilled cheese with Tatar tots and it so good!

It’s now about 15 mins before closing so I check the app and see the star wars ride is only a 10 min wait so we walk round and the land looks amazing at night, the scenery is so well thought out and completely immersive. True to the apps word we are on the ride in 10 and we are allocated the role of pilots, we don’t do a bad job and only crash a handful of times, our engineers did a great job keeping us going! We have never watched Star Wars before, not even 5 mins here and there, and have very little interest in it so a lot of the detail went over our heads, but I’m glad we made the effort to go round and get on the ride as I doubt we would have done it if the queue was bigger.

Off the ride and the park was now closed, Star Wars land was pretty much empty so was nice to have it to our selves near enough. We are politely ushered out of the park and take the trek back to the hotel busses and wait an eternally for the ride back to the hotel. Back and crashed in bed for half 11.
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Oct 19, 05:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Custancia
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 16
Sounds like you had a great time at Typhoon Lagoon, when you eventually got there! And well done on holding your ground over the parking charge at the hotel.

WDW POR 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 (Xmas), 2016 and 2018
Custancia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
thewatsons
Apprentice Imagineer

fab report
Four Corners 2014 H27
Highlands Reserve 2019 H27
thewatsons is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 01:04 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
May I ask why you changed resorts halfway through the holiday?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Oct 19, 01:46 PM  
Link to this Post
AJ86
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
May I ask why you changed resorts halfway through the holiday?
Cost and availability, as I was booking via a 3rd party they didn't have the availability that Disney had, I would have loved to stay at POR for the duration but couldn't afford to do so. I was going to book the Movies for the duration but they didn't have availability for the first few nights, so split the stay, we love POR so had a few nights there, then moved to the Movies where it was cheaper.
AJ86 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Nov 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Would you believe that Leander and I did exactly what you did on the 18th. Morning in Typhoon Lagoon going round the lazy river.
What a coincedence
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List