Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 11 Jan 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
The waltons
Excited about Disney

The waltons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile London trip help with trains

I’ve booked three nights in London in feb to cheer us all up and to celebrate my daughters birthday. I’m looking at transport from Gatwick to London . Will be using tube there . I can’t figure out the transport website . So hopefully you can help train from Gatwick to London seems expensive . Would it be cheaper to get a private transfer for two adults and two kids from Gatwick . Also what’s the best way to get around what tickets
Old 11 Jan 20, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Have you looked at thameslink trains from Gatwick, rather than Gatwick express into Victoria, which will be more expensive. I think you might get more replies, if you say where in London you are intending to stay, and visit. Enjoy your trip.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

I have used 2 options from Gatwick Airport

Gatwick Express gatwickexpress/
This is a fast train, 30 minutes travel time between Gatwick Airport and Victoria Train Station in London. It does not stop anywhere else. You need the specific Gatwick Express ticket for this train.

National Express Bus / Coach nationalexpress/en/d...wick-to-london

This is a coach from Gatwick Airport to Victoria Coach Station, which is about 5 minutes walk from Victoria Train and Tube Station.

Once you get to Victoria, you will then need to transfer to Tube or the red city city buses to get to your final destination.

The Tube network is different to the train network. There is no Tube from Gatwick Airport.

There is a Tube from Heathrow Airport, which is where yo may getting confused with.

Where are you staying in London? If we know where you are staying, we can give you expect directions to get from Gatwick Airport to your hotel.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

As others have mentioned - where you stay in London will affect what might be the best/cheapest/etc option to get between Gatwick and London.

I've taken the regular trains (not the Gatwick Express) in the past between Gatwick and St Pancras, and Gatwick and Clapham Junction (if I don't remember wrongly). They were a lot cheaper than the Gatwick Express, but did take longer.
Old 11 Jan 20, 06:17 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

The Gatwick Express is a bit of a con. Many of the local stopping trains are hardly any longer in travel time, but are much much cheaper.

Usually for me London Bridge is a better option than Victoria but as others have said it depends where you are heading

Edited at 06:19 PM.
KarenG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
The waltons
Excited about Disney

The waltons's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I’ve no hotel booked I’m all over the place at the moment dealing with my dads death. Can anyone recommend a hotel for 2 adults 2 kids. Hope to do Harry Potter and sight seeing maybe a show
Old 11 Jan 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by The waltons View Post
I’ve no hotel booked I’m all over the place at the moment dealing with my dads death. Can anyone recommend a hotel for 2 adults 2 kids. Hope to do Harry Potter and sight seeing maybe a show
oh goodness

well it depends mainly on your budget, what amenities you require in the hotel, how near you want to be to transport options.

I recently stayed at Travelodge Marylebone. Basic hotel, beside Marylebone train and tube station. The hotel does not have breakfast or an onsite restaurant, BUT there is a restaurant next door and Starbucks, Pret, and Burger King in the train station. Its 10 minutes by Tube to Oxford Circus and 10 minutes by bus to Marble Arch.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Sorry for your loss. I understand.

The hp site is outside of london. Trains to the nearest station Watford junction seem to start at Euston. According to warner bros tour site there are shuttle buses from the station.

The Thameslink trains a few of us mentioned usually stop at London Bridge and a few other stops before Kings Cross and then out of London northbound. Kings Cross and Euston are very close together.

I cant recommend any hotels im afraid as im too close to London to stay over. I do notice quite a few deals being posted about hotel deals in london, so it might be worth checking that out.

Hopefully, someone on the dibb might have hotel recommendations to help you, but i would think something central would make your life easier with the plans you have.

Good luck, and take care. X
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jan 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
COL41
Imagineer

Mobile

If your HP fans and want to see a show, The Cursed Child is on in the West End. We have previously stayed at The Travelodge nr The London Eye and different premier inns in London and found them ideal as a base. So many things to do and visit in London and don’t have to spend a fortune. We like renting the citi bikes and cycling around Hyde Park and surrounding area
2001 DLP hen weekend, 2006 DLP Sequoia Lodge, 2009 Hotel Cheyenne (my 40th), 2012 WDW Orlando & St Petes Beach, 2015 Miami, Orlando & Clearwater. 2017 Miami and Cape Coral 2019 NYC for BFF 50th, 2020 Orlando (cancelled due to Covid ) 2021 NYC with the family
COL41 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 20, 11:12 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

We usually stay in a premier inn when we visit London as they are a good price and you know what to expect. No particular hotel as we just choose the best priced central one.

As others have said, the HP studios is in watford, so you’d need to catch a train and then there’s a bus from Watford to the studios. It can be a bit of a long journey and you need to book for the HP studios in advance to guarantee a time slot.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List