Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 9 Jul 20, 09:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mandsjh
Apprentice Imagineer

Package or DIY post Covid?

Where do people stand on how to book going forward?

Obviously a package makes dealing with issues easier.

But surely good quality insurance (as they start to cover Covid) offer just as much protection?

Is DIY a gamble now? Has it changed at all really?

We can’t afford to do what we want to do if it’s all packaged up. We rely on indirect flights and have just booked a friends villa for 2022.

Interested in people’s thoughts - is DIY now seen as foolhardy?
Mandsjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
pritch
Apprentice Imagineer

pritch's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
used to book it all myself but more wary now.

However for vegas in oct 20 booked virgin holidays and package with travel republic for feb 21 to Kissimmee
August i have an open ticket with virgin to use, have booked 2 week cruises direct with carnival so will self book 2 weeks o i drive with hotels.com ( they were great paying cancelled hotels back within a week so will stick with them)
So i think i will still prefer diy but at the moment not gambling till next summer
Liki Tiki Resort Kissimee 09, Homewood Suites 10 Disneyland Anaheim 11. Coco Key I drive 12. AKL Arusha view 16. Ramada Maingate Kissimee 16, Disney All Star Music 16 Rosen Inn Pointe Orlando 14/16/18/19/22 Serlago suites kissimmee 16 /22 Continental plaza i drive 16 Wakuhula Suites cocoa beach 16. International Palms cocoa beach 14/18/22, Hilton Cocoa Beach 08. Disney Dolphin 18

Edited at 10:00 PM.
pritch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 10:07 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

It will be DIY for me - same as always. Cant see that CV has changed anything that would change how we book.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 11:14 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

DIY all the way
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 11:17 PM  
Link to this Post
daves13
Getting Excited

Mobile

If I’m going to a Orlando definitely a package, anywhere else in USA diy.👍
daves13 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 11:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Continue as is fly drive to get package protection. Book majority of my own accommodation and internal travel.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Jul 20, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

DIY! We hadn’t booked our flights which has saved us so much money this year as we cancelled our disney hotel! I know we may well have done but we were waiting for prices to go
Down... thank god we did!
For me DIY is part of the fun
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 12:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

Still DIY for us. We simply couldn’t afford the holiday we want as a package, so we’d either have to compromise on the holiday to get an affordable package, or just not go. I’d rather do DIY.

As it happens, we did have a DIY trip (our first family trip to WDW) booked for August, but we’ve now cancelled all the elements except for Cirque de Soleil and Blue Man Group (waiting for the shows to be cancelled), and have only lost £200. We’d have paid thousands more to book it as a package, so I’d rather risk losing £200 in cancellation fees than be stuck paying thousands extra if the holiday had gone ahead.

(We haven’t had to use credit card protection or insurance to get our money back, although we had both as back-ups. It was a bit more hassle with multiple cancellations to request, but again, that’s down to the holiday we wanted.)

Nothing about our cancellation experience would put me off booking DIY in the future.
Not being able to book the holiday we want would definitely put me off booking a package.
WDW Nov 1988/DLP Cheyenne Aug 2016/DLPDLHDec 2017/DLP Santa Fe May-Jun 2018/Magic at Sea cruise Jul-Aug 2021/WDW & 2 Wish cruises Aug-Sep 2023/DLP Newport Bay Compass Club Aug 2024/Fantasy’s first ever cruise from the UK Jul-Aug 2025
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 07:23 AM  
Link to this Post
lovemickey
Imagineer

Mobile

Diy for us. Think I’ve seen more issues on here for people getting money back for package holidays than I have diy ones.
Will book fly drive for protection, use credit card and find the best insurance I can.
lovemickey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jul 20, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
AL1S0N
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

When our Spanish holiday was cancelled this summer I was relieved it was a package (jet2) as there was zero hassle with refunds. But for Florida next year I've done DIY . I just didn't want tui choosing my villa for me or staying in a hotel. For a big holiday like that I need to have control over every aspect, so everything is booked with a refundable deposit. Except for flights which I'm confident tui would cancel if there are still problems next summer
AL1S0N is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List