Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 8 Nov 20, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Christmas charity appeals

christmas charity appeals will be going live soon(usually mid nov) so please consider making a donation this year if you can.

With the covid situation not only will more people than ever need extra support/help over the xmas period but many fund raising events have been cancelled and getting donations will be harder than ever - social distancing will mean less staff to sort things and less drop off points if we are under restrictions.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
christmas charity appeals will be going live soon(usually mid nov) so please consider making a donation this year if you can.

With the covid situation not only will more people than ever need extra support/help over the xmas period but many fund raising events have been cancelled and getting donations will be harder than ever - social distancing will mean less staff to sort things and less drop off points if we are under restrictions.
After 11 November - traditionally its bad form to start anything Christmas themed before then but very sadly this year some adverts and posts have started before then .
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 02:36 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
After 11 November - traditionally its bad form to start anything Christmas themed before then but very sadly this year some adverts and posts have started before then .
Never heard of this before, seems to be a more Canadian thing.
Old 8 Nov 20, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Mrs Red C
Imagineer

Mobile

Our Street have done a Secret Santa thing this week with half the money going to our local food bank. I took our cash donation to them on Friday specifically for the Christmas hampers, and they were extremely grateful. Maybe other people could do this too?
Since this Covid pandemic started, it's pulled our Street together, such a lovely community spirit.
Mrs Red C is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
I buy toys, books and toiletries throughout the year when I see good deals for the Mission Kids Appeal so hoping there will still be a local drop off point. If not I will donate them to the Food Bank as last year they took gift donations too.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
I buy toys, books and toiletries throughout the year when I see good deals for the Mission Kids Appeal so hoping there will still be a local drop off point. If not I will donate them to the Food Bank as last year they took gift donations too.
Snap I am hoping they open the drop off points soon as my boot is pretty full. I did contact them the other month as I wanted to volunteer for the sorting too but coms where quite sketchy so hoping they still do go ahead.
Old 9 Nov 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jakey Neverland View Post
Snap I am hoping they open the drop off points soon as my boot is pretty full. I did contact them the other month as I wanted to volunteer for the sorting too but coms where quite sketchy so hoping they still do go ahead.
Not sure if you have seen this but looks like will be going ahead from the 16th. I'm hoping there will be a local drop off as I will be "breaking the rules" if I go to the Gyle although dropping off presents for disadvantaged kids could be classed as an essential trlp.
planetradio/forth/char...mas-edinburgh/
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Tsoski
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

My works given everyone $200 to donate to charity instead of receiving a Christmas gift so I just picked one of our local ones for children that usually do Christmas present drop offs
Tsoski is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 20, 12:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
Just a heads up that my local Asda (Livingston) was putting out their Mission Kids donation boxes today 🎅🎅⛄⛄
Old 19 Nov 20, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

my local appeal has started but has very few drop off points this year

are we allowed to post charity names? It might be good to have a list for others to check out esp if anyone knows any smaller charities that could use a helping hand
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List