Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 23 Nov 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
My humble opinion; opening US borders will not be considered until post 20th Jan, not whilst Trump is too busy trying to sue/persuade all and sundry to say he won the election whilst knocking out golf balls. I doubt Biden's first priority will be opening the borders, especially with covid on/off spikes. With the apparent imminent vaccine perhaps the US may wait until innoculations are underway before considering border re-opening. Of course it's all speculation and none of us know.
Concur totally.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 05:10 PM  
Link to this Post
rasmus
Imagineer

rasmus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Our holidays in florida will certainly be very different by the time we get to go back
January 2019-Cabana bay/Homewood suites
rasmus is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
And that echoes what the CEO of Delta said over the weekend - he cant see it happening anytime soon either
Hi MF - we should've been on Bokeelia a week now for our 178 night Fl winter sojourn, but we felt when we returned 5 weeks early in April that this winter held a high possibility of being a no-go. I have taken a peek at mid/late Jan business class fares but I'm not confident it'll happen and won't book flights until US borders are open. It's awful, we are so not used to UK winters anymore, our last UK winter was 2009... our heating is on and off more times than a new brides nightie! Dreading Dec onwards

Talking to friends on the island it's apparently very quiet, the pool has hardly any swimmers and usually, at this time, there are up to 90 snowbirds attending the free 10.30am aerobics, not a soul attending - this time last year the pool had to lock it's gate as they hit 110 capacity! No Canadians as they aren't yet allowed in and many north US residents are not travelling due to C19 spikes. It's also having a knock on affect to the restaurants, but apparently the bars are cause for concern as they're packed with island drinkers who, in the main, aren't wearing masks or social distancing.
Old 23 Nov 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi MF - we should've been on Bokeelia a week now for our 178 night Fl winter sojourn, but we felt when we returned 5 weeks early in April that this winter held a high possibility of being a no-go. I have taken a peek at mid/late Jan business class fares but I'm not confident it'll happen and won't book flights until US borders are open. It's awful, we are so not used to UK winters anymore, our last UK winter was 2009... our heating is on and off more times than a new brides nightie! Dreading Dec onwards

Talking to friends on the island it's apparently very quiet, the pool has hardly any swimmers and usually, at this time, there are up to 90 snowbirds attending the free 10.30am aerobics, not a soul attending - this time last year the pool had to lock it's gate as they hit 110 capacity! No Canadians as they aren't yet allowed in and many north US residents are not travelling due to C19 spikes. It's also having a knock on affect to the restaurants, but apparently the bars are cause for concern as they're packed with island drinkers who, in the main, aren't wearing masks or social distancing.

I hear you CS

Although I missed my summer month in California I am way missing more being over here for Christmas/NYE - the thought of being stuck in dark cold boring UK when I could be in sunny California is so very hard and like you I have been looking at booking for early 2021 as business class fares are the cheapest I have ever seen them by a very long way (VS fares in to Oc 2021 are incredibly cheap for LA) but I have a flight booking (voucher ) in the I am far form certain when we will be able to travel and if we do will the restaurants, bars and other places (like art galleries) I need to visit be open ? It is too uncertain today to make that call so hunkering down for a depressing UK winter ...

I do hope things change and you are able to get out albeit for a shorter period - when it is safe for you

Take care and keep warm xx
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 20, 11:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I hear you CS

Although I missed my summer month in California I am way missing more being over here for Christmas/NYE - the thought of being stuck in dark cold boring UK when I could be in sunny California is so very hard and like you I have been looking at booking for early 2021 as business class fares are the cheapest I have ever seen them by a very long way (VS fares in to Oc 2021 are incredibly cheap for LA) but I have a flight booking (voucher ) in the I am far form certain when we will be able to travel and if we do will the restaurants, bars and other places (like art galleries) I need to visit be open ? It is too uncertain today to make that call so hunkering down for a depressing UK winter ...

I do hope things change and you are able to get out albeit for a shorter period - when it is safe for you

Take care and keep warm xx
It's a right begger, I did look at the Virgin fares and £994 in UC from Man to MCO with a drive to/from Bokeelia is so tempting, looked at 28th Feb to 31st May, but it's still so much up in the air (oh, pardon the pun ) with our FCO saying no, US borders closed, then as hubs said the possible vaccine. The biggest stumbling block is my health, and whilst it places me higher up on the vaccine list, I doubt it'll be rolled out pre Feb - so sensible head had to be screwed back on, but it was nice to believe I was in the pool with the Bokeelia sun on my face for a while.

Aye, you take care and stay warm too MF, currently my body temp is up and down more times than a new brides nightie, I alternate between being hot and cold, heating on and off!
Old 26 Nov 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Good news that it's being discussed businessinsider/whit...0-11?r=US&IR=T
Old 26 Nov 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Good news that it's being discussed businessinsider/whit...0-11?r=US&IR=T
With ‘most” of Europe (does that include UK) regardless I cant see our FCO allowing it just at the moment - but of a toothless tiger IMHO
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
FCO can’t stop you travelling though

And there are insurance companies like Battle Face that cover you for travel against FCO advice ..

Technically we brits can travel now and enter on a ESTA you just have to spend 14 days in a safe country like Mexico or Turkey first .

If the USA open up their borders we will go whether or not it’s against FCO advice .. I can’t stand much more of being stuck here .
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post

And there are insurance companies like Battle Face that cover you for travel against FCO advice ..

Technically we brits can travel now and enter on a ESTA you just have to spend 14 days in a safe country like Mexico or Turkey first .

If the USA open up their borders we will go whether or not it’s against FCO advice .. I can’t stand much more of being stuck here .
As you say the FCO only advise against travel to the USA but our insurers, Staysure, specifically say that the policy is void in terms of the medical cover if you travel against FCO advice.

At 74 and with PEMCs there's no way we'd travel whilst the FCO advisory was in place - notwithstanding what personal risk assessments we'd do.

Mick
Old 26 Nov 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by daytonababe View Post

A bit risky😀
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List