Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 19 Nov 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I decided to skip 3 for now and go straight to 4.
We're two-thirds through and boy is it good, even DH is watching and enjoying it.
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 12:00 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post
We're two-thirds through and boy is it good, even DH is watching and enjoying it.
Just watched episode 2 and this is the only series himself has deigned to watch.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sam_b
Imagineer

I’m watching but I still feel that series 1&2 were better. I preferred the casting and I wasn’t as familiar with the events.
sam_b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 20, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
I’m watching but I still feel that series 1&2 were better. I preferred the casting and I wasn’t as familiar with the events.
I agree that the casting was better in Series 1 & 2 - I am hoping it picks up with Imelda as The Queen in series 5 & 6 (although still fairly good now - except Mrs T - interesting the actress who plays the Queen Mother was interviewed on Radio 2 yesterday afternoon and even Steve Wrtie made a comment that the hair was was OTT and everyone fell around laughing talking about it - glad it wasnt just me that thought it was too characture (again I forget it is a soap opera/drama not history - my constant mistake)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 01:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Scaramouche
Imagineer

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
I agree that the casting was better in Series 1 & 2 - I am hoping it picks up with Imelda as The Queen in series 5 & 6 (although still fairly good now - except Mrs T - interesting the actress who plays the Queen Mother was interviewed on Radio 2 yesterday afternoon and even Steve Wrtie made a comment that the hair was was OTT and everyone fell around laughing talking about it - glad it wasnt just me that thought it was too characture (again I forget it is a soap opera/drama not history - my constant mistake)
I think Maggie was watching Hairspray far too often.
Forget Regrets... Or Life Is Yours To Miss.. No Other Road, No Other Way.. No Day But Today.. ♪
Scaramouche is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 08:56 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Scaramouche View Post
I think Maggie was watching Hairspray far too often.
That’s brilliant
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

Finished it last night. I thought Gillian Anderson was very good as Thatcher. I read somewhere about how Charles was the villain of season 4, I don’t think so I thought they made both of them as bad as each other, we will never know what really went on in real life I never particularly like Diana I felt there was something sleeket about her. To me what it shows was he was forced into a marriage he didn’t want and she knew what she was getting into but wanted the fame of being the next queen but was to young and immature to handle it
Old 21 Nov 20, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by mollybogle View Post
Finished it last night. I thought Gillian Anderson was very good as Thatcher. I read somewhere about how Charles was the villain of season 4, I don’t think so I thought they made both of them as bad as each other, we will never know what really went on in real life I never particularly like Diana I felt there was something sleeket about her. To me what it shows was he was forced into a marriage he didn’t want and she knew what she was getting into but wanted the fame of being the next queen but was to young and immature to handle it
An excellent summary of the situation!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 20, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell 1
Imagineer

Mobile

I finished it last night too. I have to say I didn’t find it as enjoyable as the earlier series. I thought Thatcher was v good and it’s as I remember but then I was a young child when she was in power.

I agree Dianna and Charles were portrayed as bad as each other.
Tinkerbell 1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 20, 12:18 AM  
Link to this Post
bluebell2go
slightly serious Dibber

I've enjoyed all series but I've got a few misgivings about series 4. I think it's a bit disingenuous of the filmmakers to claim that it's just a drama not a documentary when they go to great lengths to recreate the sets, fashions of the day to the exact design, accents and mannerisms and intersperse the drama with historical footage. People have said they've learned about British history through it and they may assume personal details about the RF are also true when at times they are based on speculation or just fiction. There are some great one-line put downs, though.

I thought the Diana character was perfect, Charles was good but his posture was a bit too bowed and Gillian Anderson outThatchered Thatcher. Good but a bit overdone. Tobias Menzies was far better than Matt Smith who just played DoE as a big galoot.

The interaction between Charles and Diana was so bitter. I've no idea if it ever got as bad as portrayed, but, accurate or not, it must still be so painful to their sons who are no doubt still mourning their mother, especially with the whole Martin Bashir interview being brought up again. Seems a bit heartless to do that to two young men who never asked to join the RF.

Edited at 12:21 AM.
bluebell2go is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List