Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 26 Nov 20, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Anyone with white hall walls? Which paint to use.

Painting the hall walls tomorrow but if walls are not good enough then may need to paper after Xmas instead.

Can anyone recommend a hard wearing paint in white?

I’m reluctant to pay Dulux diamond Matt prices for white especially if I then need to paper them anyway.

Has anyone used any of these paints with good results? I’m not sure in vinyl Matt is good. I think I need a paint I can wipe for marks or one I can touch up

diy/departments/dulu...ion-paint-10l/

diy/departments/leyl.../330495_BQ.prd

diy/departments/leyl.../290129_BQ.prd

Any suggestions gratefully received

Edited at 12:30 AM.
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
folkie
Loves sailing in the sun!

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 170
We've recently done our hall in Wickes Tough and Washable paint, which is more expensive than the ones you're looking at. I've already had to wash it due to our dog getting it muddy and it washed really well, the range gets good reviews and we found it an easy paint to use - it was quite thick and went on really well. We've done ours in Nickel grey but this is the white one wickes/Wickes-Pure...-2-5L/p/121882
91 Brittany 92 Scotland 93 France 94 France 95 Dartmouth 96 Moved house 97 Terra Mare (Greece) 98 Swanage 99 Yedi Tepe (Turkey) 00 Canada/Tunisia 01 Ottawa, Antigua/Bitez 02 DLP/Cornwall 03 Antigua/Gower 04 Ottawa/Croatia/Vendee 05 BVI/Hurghada 06 Javelin (Turkey) 07 Perili (Turkey) 08 Orlando 09 Rosas 10 Orlando 11 Les Deux Alpes 12 Morocco 13 Brittany 14 Vassiliki 15 Orlando 16 DLP/New England/Ottawa 17 Ionian
folkie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Husband says to paint walls with one coat of paint, use Easyfill to fill all the uneven walls with a spatula, lightly sand down and then 2 coats of topcoat. He says paint from a trade centre is a bit more expensive but much better value, it lasts longer and looks better. He would recommend Johnston’s Durable Matt as the best for being hardwearing and washable. He thinks it is about £30 for 5l.
You will only get this from a trade centre but they will also be able to provide advice.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Our hall is painted in Dulux brilliant white matt trade paint. Most of the house is now painted in it. Very hard wearing, goes on easily, you can buy massive tubs of it and can be easily painted over with a colour if you wish.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi with any painting it’s really all down to the prep ,cutting in, many ways the painting is the easy bit.
Light filler light sand and on you go
jdouds is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

In terms of paint, I wont use anything but Dulux trade paint. It is the best paint I have used.
We are just finishing the house and have used matt on the walls.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Nov 20, 11:49 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everyone. I will take a look at the wickes paint & Johnstone’s trade durable Matt.

I’ve already used easyfill on the walls after sanding with an orbital sander. I just don’t know how good they will be after I start applying paint.

Thanks everyone for the advice
fluff48 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:01 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I painted my hall with Dulux Pure Brilliant White Silk Emulsion - this one
diy/departments/dulu...1759081_BQ.prd
I have a spaniel who loves laying in muddy puddles, so at least once a month I have to scrub the bottom 3 feet of the walls all round, not have any problems and its been done at least 18 months now.
I know silk is not as fasionable as matt but it washes much better
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:09 AM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
I painted my hall with Dulux Pure Brilliant White Silk Emulsion - this one
diy/departments/dulu...1759081_BQ.prd
I have a spaniel who loves laying in muddy puddles, so at least once a month I have to scrub the bottom 3 feet of the walls all round, not have any problems and its been done at least 18 months now.
I know silk is not as fasionable as matt but it washes much better
Silk is very durable but out of fashion now. It was always silk my mum & dad used when I was wee. I do like a Matt finish but it’s getting the balance of something durable too.
Thanks
Old 27 Nov 20, 12:12 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Johnstone’s Trade Matt, the one which you can wipe down, we just did my sons bedroom, my friend is the decorator and he says it’s one of the better paints. We have done all our house in that and the soft sheen for 15 years and it always has been good, even if you have to go to a Johnstone’s trade centre to get the stuff.