Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 9 Aug 20, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I suppose if you were to lose points, $10 a point is great as it more than covers dues, even if you have to take all the risk on cancellation.

It does however stick in the throat on that page, all the ones trying to get ‘distressed points’ etc. .
Completely agree, it's painful, especially on a page that has historically seen points sought after for their true value (far more than we see points going for on here).

It is what it is, times are strange and we have to adapt with them, no point wasting our time dwelling on it, cover yoru loses and move on, is my feeling.

I'm sure that once the world has either seen a solution of we learn to live 'normally' with this threat, then points values will return to normal, and probably increase in value while cash incentives (free dining...) become less common.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 09:09 AM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 09:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I suppose if you were to lose points, $10 a point is great as it more than covers dues, even if you have to take all the risk on cancellation.

It does however stick in the throat on that page, all the ones trying to get ‘distressed points’ etc. Suppose they are taking advantage of the situation and in a way I think good on them, but bet half of them would not rent if they were having to pay normal price, and many of them will be a nightmare to deal with if you haven’t agreed a refund should the park shut down.
For International members distressed points at $10 would be a life saver even I suppose for the Vero Beach members who's dues are over $10 per point.

But as they are distressed points then hopefully the renter wouldn't expect any sort of refund and only expect whatever is the policy on those points, or if policy changes due to park/resort closure.

We haven't joined that Facebook web-site (yet) so not sure how it works but if we were in the situation of expiring points then we would look to make a reservation (low point studio's) within the next 30-days and if no takers then keep moving the reservation to a later date while still offering all distressed points for rent.

Consider when making a speculative reservation that Floridians will possibly be in the majority of seeking out a bargain, so short stays with possibly more looking for a weekday stay. Not only for the lower points required but also that many Floridians would have purchased a Mondays through Fridays only annual pass.

Good luck to any members with distressed points.

Added: Just checked for the first time in ages the availability over the next 30-days and there's a huge choice which we didn't really expect, even BCV has almost full availability through to 1st Oct.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 09:54 AM  
Link to this Post
catlady
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 4
It is annoying to see so many posts asking for "distressed" points, but I don't have a problem with it really it's a specific buyers market at the minute. My buyers are a young family who would normally stay in a value and are beyond excited to be staying at AKL with a Savannah view! I just console myself with the fact I'm making someone's day 🤷😁.

This is hopefully an unprecedented event and things will stabilise at some point 🤞. The amount of availability is unheard of! I have friends in Tampa who have booked BC for the next 4 weekends on $9 a point stays as a mini break, I don't think they are alone? And if I lived there I would be doing the same! 🤣
Old 9 Aug 20, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by catlady View Post
It is annoying to see so many posts asking for "distressed" points, but I don't have a problem with it really it's a specific buyers market at the minute. My buyers are a young family who would normally stay in a value and are beyond excited to be staying at AKL with a Savannah view! I just console myself with the fact I'm making someone's day 🤷😁.

This is hopefully an unprecedented event and things will stabilise at some point 🤞. The amount of availability is unheard of! I have friends in Tampa who have booked BC for the next 4 weekends on $9 a point stays as a mini break, I don't think they are alone? And if I lived there I would be doing the same! 🤣
Exactly, my buyers are a family with 2 young children, local but have never stayed at BWV so just excited for a whole weekend there instead of driving home at the end of the day. I asked her for 50% of the cost and she accepted no refund, had WDW closed again, I wouldn't have taken the other 50% but she insisted on paying the full amount up front.

I hate to use the word as it's so overused at the moment, but these are unprecedented times, we do what we must to make the most of it.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 20, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

Just sold the last 10 points we had, a very good value stay at the Boardwalk.

All were sold at $11. Probably could have asked for more but with 30th November rapidly approaching we took a balanced view on that.

Will definitely use this group again, but the points will go up at 11 months for the full value, not discounted due to this exceptional circumstance.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 03:27 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just cancelled my Boardwalk Standard view 1 bed for Xmas 😭
I had to make a move as it’s not going to change and get sudden clarity by the end of next month, and I’m wary at any time they could stop points banking. My Swan booking also kept disappearing from MDE- I assume as we had two hotels on there for the same people.
Good news is all Park passes seem to have stayed despite switching bookings.
That’s a Copper Creek Studio, a Grand Cali 1 bed and a Boardwalk standard view now cancelled over the last few months.
I feel like the cat who got the cream with these prized reservations- then the cream got spilt and I’ve watched it drain into the dirt.😭
Enough of feeling sorry for myself - I’ve got a suite booked at Swan and Dolphin for Xmas cancellable on a days notice, and for Easter the Confidante Miami Beach and a Saratoga Studio (which I may change for Poly as we never stay in studios so this may be our only chance to try Poly) and no longer am I running a points deficit but still have 450 points next year even after my SSR booking- I’m hoping to get Grand Cali again in summer but we will see...
Old 12 Aug 20, 05:56 PM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Guidebook Reviews: 7
I still have 82 banked points left to rent. Been putting it off but the recent changes to park hours was the last straw.

At this point I'll be delighted if I can get $11 or $12 per point.
lov2dibb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
2point
VIP Dibber

We did all ours at $11 a point and could have sold them 3 times over. Change your advert on that Facebook site if you need to, even just a rearrange of word and you'll attract plenty of interest. I can forward your details onto a cast member who booked from us as she is looking for more points, taking advantage of cheap weekend breaks.
2point is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 2point View Post
We did all ours at $11 a point and could have sold them 3 times over. Change your advert on that Facebook site if you need to, even just a rearrange of word and you'll attract plenty of interest. I can forward your details onto a cast member who booked from us as she is looking for more points, taking advantage of cheap weekend breaks.
I agree, change your wording, bump your posts, there are plenty of locals still looking for bargains, you won't struggle to rent at $11/12 a point.

Old 13 Aug 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I agree, change your wording, bump your posts, there are plenty of locals still looking for bargains, you won't struggle to rent at $11/12 a point.
That’s what I did and it worked. 👍
BarryandCaron is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List