Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 18 Jul 20, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

First night

Where do you stay on your first night?

For the first time we will be flying indirect so land later than usual at 18:45. If we've bought in to DVC by then I'm wondering whether to use points for the first night or whether to book a cheap hotel off site or even a value.

What do you all do? Thanks
shelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

I've never landed so late but if we did I would look at other options, particularly if it was a Fri, Sat or peak season points heavy night. I would also consider a studio if you could fit in one for the first night and then move to a bigger unit if that was in your plan.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 01:56 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Always go straight to DVC- want to be in the park rope drop the next morning, not eating into my holiday moving again. If I was going for say a month though I’d consider it.
Old 18 Jul 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Dazed
VIP Dibber

Some people book into All Stars/Pop for the first night so that you still have the ME and they pay cash for the night, then move over to DVC in the morning.

We are due to arrive close to midnight on our next trip so I book an AKL Value room with points for the first night and then we move to BCV the next day. It will probably be 1am by the time we get to our room so we just need a bed plus a shower for the morning. We will drop our bags with bell services, hit the park and then they will be at BCV by the time our room is ready in the afternoon. It’s no bother and it saves 6 points. We also thought about staying at the airport Hyatt and jumping on the ME in the morning.
Dazed is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
POR34
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

No matter what time we land we always go to where we're staying. I can't be bothered moving again the next day.
POR34 is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We always stay the first night in another Resort. Last year we booked OKW using points for first night. This enabled us to buy one night DDP which we used the following day plus refillable mugs.

I like to check in early the following morning to our main Resort giving us the best options of rooms available that day.
Old 18 Jul 20, 03:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Gelatoni
Imagineer

Mobile

Have always just gone straight to Disney. Even when we've arrived at 1am you can't beat that 'i'm home' feeling.
Gelatoni is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dr.JumbaJookiba View Post
I've never landed so late but if we did I would look at other options, particularly if it was a Fri, Sat or peak season points heavy night. I would also consider a studio if you could fit in one for the first night and then move to a bigger unit if that was in your plan.
We don't really know what the plan is yet. There are a lot of IFS depending on if we manage to sort DVC in time and how many points we have access too.

It was purely the late arrival time that got me thinking. By the time we've got to the hotel we won't be using the pool or anything so seemed a waste of a good resort if you know what I mean
shelle is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jul 20, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Always go straight to DVC- want to be in the park rope drop the next morning, not eating into my holiday moving again. If I was going for say a month though I’d consider it.
I was still planning on rope drop. I realise check in isn't until 4 but I thought we would be able to leave the luggage at Bell Services from 7ish like at Universal and hit the parks . Is that not the case?
Old 18 Jul 20, 03:36 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Dazed View Post
Some people book into All Stars/Pop for the first night so that you still have the ME and they pay cash for the night, then move over to DVC in the morning.

We are due to arrive close to midnight on our next trip so I book an AKL Value room with points for the first night and then we move to BCV the next day. It will probably be 1am by the time we get to our room so we just need a bed plus a shower for the morning. We will drop our bags with bell services, hit the park and then they will be at BCV by the time our room is ready in the afternoon. It’s no bother and it saves 6 points. We also thought about staying at the airport Hyatt and jumping on the ME in the morning.
This is along the lines I was thinking although not sure I would do it to save 6 points. I was rather thinking a £50 room vs the dues on 20-30points.