Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 19 May 17, 10:58 AM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
Thanks so much for your suggestions, DFussy (I am imagining that stands for Daughter: Fussy - but that is probably not right! ).

We are lucky and have a spinney on our land - so YES I hope that he will fancy a bit of tree climbing and perhaps treehouse building. He lives in a flat in Paris, so I think he'll either be SUPER INTO country pursuits - or have no interest at all. Fingers crossed for the former.

We've still never been to Hever Castle - but you're right, that is a good idea (I wonder if they take Tesco vouchers ).

Embarrassingly, though - the first thing I will Google is "Old Dutch Pancake House". Do they do pannekoeken? Because to pannekoeken. I make them in the late summer and pile them high with the blackberries that grow in our hedge.

So glad you stopped by today. I hope that in all this patronus/fencer silliness you've actually found some useful advice, too. Please let me know if there's a question I can answer.
- No she's not fussy, more grumpy! Teenage hormones seem to be starting early. The DFussy is a twist on my name, Dianne, and slight alteration to surname.

I think Hever probably do take Tesco vouchers - but I never seem to have enough, so we just booked online for a small discount they night before.

If the weather's nice enough maybe a quick run to the beach then if he's a city boy.

I looked up the pannekoeken, and I think that probably is what they use as a base. They do savoury and sweet, so the savoury are a bit like a pizza with pancake base. Special offer of £5 a pancake on Mondays makes it slightly easier on the pocket, and it is a stones through from the british museum. If we go on Monday I let her have whatever she wants, but if its another day, we share a savoury and then have a sweet each, and still feel fairly full up after.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

R.C.'s patronus being a rottwieler made me chuckle, he doesn't appear to be very fierce. Love that Poot has a dragon, that's far more exciting than a regular animal. Get you with your 'extremely rare' Thestral!

There is nothing Potter-ish about those pancakes, how bizarre! Poor show, they could have at least been pumpkin flavoured.

He was OK, but when Dad’s not with us I don’t like rides that are three seats across - I feel like I have to be quiet and that makes the ride less fun.
I feel like this too Poot, it spoils the fun, it is especially awkward when the third person is very quiet. Primeval Whirl is the worst when you are being tossed all over the place and are in danger of falling into a strange's lap.

Damn you April, you have me thinking 'maybe we could go to Universal for just a day', because I want a wand, and a meal at Toothsome. But the colour coded spreadsheet won't allow for it!

I like that you were very proud of Poot's honesty and a second later you tell a lie

Now that we've discussed patroni we should move onto our wands! Mine has a phoenix feather core, like the big man! It's made of pine, which means I am going to live a long life, which is handy because I intend to live forever.

Poor Poot, that is a real dilemma over the wands. I think the vine one is really nice, I like the dainty ones, but I don't think I would have been able to decide between the two on the spot.

I can't believe Poot's robes were £12, you can't even tell the difference! My friend's niece was wearing the Belle dress from the new movie in her birthday party pictures, I couldn't believe they had spent £60 on a dress (I had seen in it in the Disney Store earlier in the week). It turned out it was a £14 ASDA version, they were exactly the same!

Larensa!? How cruel! She will spend her entire life telling people that she is not Larissa.

The funny things about odd names is that at first you think 'what were they thinking!?' but then as time passes you just get used to them. Do you know of the Duggar family?! The one in the U.S. with 19 Kids?! Well, morbidly obsessed with them, it's like watching a car crash, I just can't help myself. One of the eldest daughters has a son called Spurgeon. I thought that was possibly the worst name I'd ever heard (Semaj now takes that title) but now you just think 'what a cute kid' and his name seems completely normal.

You are right The Grinch movie with Jim Carrey (I just realised I told someone earlier this week I had never seen a Jim Carrey film before, I lied) is awful and the cartoon is fabulous! I don't think it's widely known over here.

It's like to see the Macy's parade at Universal, I want to pretend I am in Miracle on 34th Street.

I did intend to not babble today...
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Where to start! Firstly I got a mention as a bada$$ and I am preening like... I guess an osprey!

The marvel tea cups are awesome! DH is a total daredevil but can't do spinning so last year I had the fun job of spinning my DDs. The youngest was a bit shocked by the experience but eldest loves them!

I love that Wendy redeemed himself! And that you managed to not kill someone at the Christmas show ruining it with tablets!

My suggestions for cheap stuff to do. Hmmm. If you have an independent cinema place they often do great quirky films for only a few pounds a ticket (good for rainy days). We saw Labyrinth last year and DD loved it.

Another great idea is you can buy a guide (they sell them in Leadenhall market but I wonder if you can download for free) and you can do a walking tour of famous HP places in London. You could also book onto one but that would be less free obviously.

Right I better get back to work! Thanks for another brilliant read.
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
If you do the Warner tour, tell them it is Poot's birthday (yes, I know, secret birthdays and all that...). He will get a badge and be asked to open the doors to the great hall!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DFussy View Post
- No she's not fussy, more grumpy! Teenage hormones seem to be starting early. The DFussy is a twist on my name, Dianne, and slight alteration to surname.

I think Hever probably do take Tesco vouchers - but I never seem to have enough, so we just booked online for a small discount they night before.

If the weather's nice enough maybe a quick run to the beach then if he's a city boy.

I looked up the pannekoeken, and I think that probably is what they use as a base. They do savoury and sweet, so the savoury are a bit like a pizza with pancake base. Special offer of £5 a pancake on Mondays makes it slightly easier on the pocket, and it is a stones through from the british museum. If we go on Monday I let her have whatever she wants, but if its another day, we share a savoury and then have a sweet each, and still feel fairly full up after.

Ah, Diane - bless you for answering my nosy questions!

And the joys of teenage girls - I wouldn't have blamed my mother if she'd dripped poison into my ear while I slept. There are things I miss not having a daughter, but I DO think boys are easier at that time of life!

The beach is a good idea - R.C. has a distant cousin with a beach hut in Suffolk - and he's offered it to us before...perhaps a friendly phone call is called for...

Now £5 Pancake Monday...that sounds pretty good to me.

When we visit the British Museum we ALWAYS go to Hummus Bros (on Southampton Row). It's a five minute walk (and very close to Holborn Station), delicious - and cheap. The portions are BIG - so £10 feeds two, easily. But a change might be nice...
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
jemima2
Imagineer

Mobile

Too many amazing things again to mention but highlights! ... the wand choosing...😐 couldnt you just predict it? ! The snake picking up...i know it was tiny but poot has no fear! You are my hero poot in so many ways ! ❤❤
jemima2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 03:24 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by collybird View Post
R.C.'s patronus being a rottwieler made me chuckle, he doesn't appear to be very fierce. Love that Poot has a dragon, that's far more exciting than a regular animal. Get you with your 'extremely rare' Thestral!

There is nothing Potter-ish about those pancakes, how bizarre! Poor show, they could have at least been pumpkin flavoured.

I feel like this too Poot, it spoils the fun, it is especially awkward when the third person is very quiet. Primeval Whirl is the worst when you are being tossed all over the place and are in danger of falling into a strange's lap.

Damn you April, you have me thinking 'maybe we could go to Universal for just a day', because I want a wand, and a meal at Toothsome. But the colour coded spreadsheet won't allow for it!

I like that you were very proud of Poot's honesty and a second later you tell a lie

Now that we've discussed patroni we should move onto our wands! Mine has a phoenix feather core, like the big man! It's made of pine, which means I am going to live a long life, which is handy because I intend to live forever.

Poor Poot, that is a real dilemma over the wands. I think the vine one is really nice, I like the dainty ones, but I don't think I would have been able to decide between the two on the spot.

I can't believe Poot's robes were £12, you can't even tell the difference! My friend's niece was wearing the Belle dress from the new movie in her birthday party pictures, I couldn't believe they had spent £60 on a dress (I had seen in it in the Disney Store earlier in the week). It turned out it was a £14 ASDA version, they were exactly the same!

Larensa!? How cruel! She will spend her entire life telling people that she is not Larissa.

The funny things about odd names is that at first you think 'what were they thinking!?' but then as time passes you just get used to them. Do you know of the Duggar family?! The one in the U.S. with 19 Kids?! Well, morbidly obsessed with them, it's like watching a car crash, I just can't help myself. One of the eldest daughters has a son called Spurgeon. I thought that was possibly the worst name I'd ever heard (Semaj now takes that title) but now you just think 'what a cute kid' and his name seems completely normal.

You are right The Grinch movie with Jim Carrey (I just realised I told someone earlier this week I had never seen a Jim Carrey film before, I lied) is awful and the cartoon is fabulous! I don't think it's widely known over here.

It's like to see the Macy's parade at Universal, I want to pretend I am in Miracle on 34th Street.

I did intend to not babble today...
OK, I only quoted your reply - because I know this will be getting L-O-N-G.

In order:

R.C. IS like a Rottie, I suppose - he's a bit scary to people who don't know him but WE (and now YOU ) know that he rescues cats from skips and finds 7DMT "a bit frightening". Aww...

I'm still not sure how I feel about the Thestral - I ALWAYS get the weird one. And you know how I feel about bats. *SHUDDER* I am pleased for Poot, though - I hoped he'd get a macho one. I have ordered a dragon patch to sew on his flannel - so it will say "My Patronus Is A" - and then the Dragon. Hopefully he'll like it. Amazingly enough, they don't sell Thestral patches - but did you see the excellent Thestral hat that I posted last week (£27, etsy)?:

Helen said it looks like a jackass - and I think Helen is right.

And you are SO RIGHT about Primeval Whirl - but the most awkward of all is sharing the raft ride at Blizzard Beach with other people. We went down the course (in 2014) with a very *amorous* couple from Brazil. Me, my mother, Poot - and the "Smoochies" - as DM called them. I was very happy when that ride was over.

You can get a wand in the Universal shop at Citywalk - and you don't even have to pay to park in the evenings anymore. Have dinner, meet Penelope and Jacques and then go buy your wand.

You can even get a wand here in London at Kings Cross Station.

But you'll always KNOW those wands aren't REALLY from Ollivander's.

It's funny, Poot's not at ALL into packaging - but even he has kept that Ollivander's bag - ."It's like it was REALLY Ollivander's."

Wasn't that robe a steal? I was SO pleased with it - and it was more comfortable for Poot, because it wasn't as heavy as the "proper" ones. It is proving tricky to find a cheap (but nice) Gryffindor one, though...maybe Poot won't want to wear robes when we go back...fingers crossed.

Shh...I also watch the Duggars. And I'm sure you already know this but Spurgeon is named after:

...19th century (Baptist) preacher Charles Spurgeon. One of my best girlfriends is a Baptist - and she LOVES to read his works. In the American South you do get a lot of people who take family/famous surnames and use them as Christian names. I have a friend in North Carolina with a daughter called "Porter" (after the foundress of my friend's finishing school).

I am not the world's biggest Jim Carrey fan, but I did watch "Yes Man" on a flight - and that movie has a couple of laugh-out-loud moments. One to keep an eye out for, maybe. Oh, and "The Majestic" - that was GOOD (directed by the same man who made "The Shawshank Redemption"). My brother made me go to that (I said "JIM CARREY? - like ACE VENTURA?") but I was glad, it was really enjoyable.

Though NOT as enjoyable as "Miracle on 34th Street", obviously. The bit with the Dutch girl - - EVERY TIME. I want to take DM to the parade at some point, but that trip always seems to get pushed down the list, not sure why...

EDIT: Ooh, we should do wands next. "Phoenix feather core" sounds about the best you can do!

Edited at 03:26 PM.
Old 19 May 17, 03:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Zomax25 View Post
Where to start! Firstly I got a mention as a bada$$ and I am preening like... I guess an osprey!

The marvel tea cups are awesome! DH is a total daredevil but can't do spinning so last year I had the fun job of spinning my DDs. The youngest was a bit shocked by the experience but eldest loves them!

I love that Wendy redeemed himself! And that you managed to not kill someone at the Christmas show ruining it with tablets!

My suggestions for cheap stuff to do. Hmmm. If you have an independent cinema place they often do great quirky films for only a few pounds a ticket (good for rainy days). We saw Labyrinth last year and DD loved it.

Another great idea is you can buy a guide (they sell them in Leadenhall market but I wonder if you can download for free) and you can do a walking tour of famous HP places in London. You could also book onto one but that would be less free obviously.

Right I better get back to work! Thanks for another brilliant read.
Well, I don't think I could have done any better than made you preen.

I REALLY do think the Marvel Tea Cups are the most underrated ride at Universal. Especially at night. SO MUCH FUN. I want to do a big family trip in 2019 (for DM's 70th) - and my brother's wife is going to have to let me borrow him for that. He has STRONG arms - poor R.C. can't work those wheely things very well with his R.A.

Let's talk padholes. I wasn't angry with them that day - because they (quite rightly) were only doing what that CRETIN from Universal PR asked them to do! I DETEST when companies/shows/restaurants ask you to be their internet pimp. "If you've enjoyed your meal - don't forget to write us up on TripAdvisor!" Puke.

We probably *SHOULD* have a couple of cinema back-ups in case of wet weather - that's a good idea. We have three cinemas near us who do "Kids' Club" (cheap) films at the weekend. The cinema at Welwyn Garden City USED to show "classic" kids/family films pretty regularly - but they were so poorly attended that they show them no more.

I remember we went to see "Tintin et les Oranges Bleus" -

- by the time the film was over there were four (FOUR!) of us left in the cinema. Sigh.

I know you work in London - was it in London that you saw "Labyrinth"?

AND...Have you see the "Honest Trailer" for "Labyrinth"?

If not - you MUST (but don't watch with the kids ). Here's the link:

And, yes - God Bless Wandy.

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
If you do the Warner tour, tell them it is Poot's birthday (yes, I know, secret birthdays and all that...). He will get a badge and be asked to open the doors to the great hall!
Ooh - that sounds great. And it WILL be his actual birthday! Yay! R.C. always takes that day off - we've been to Regent's Park Zoo, IWM Duxford, the Natural History Museum - but Poot's best-ever birthday (says he) was the one we spent in Boulogne-sur-Mer. First we went to Nausicaä - and then we had Raclette at a Ch'ti Charivari. A very CHEESY birthday.

Thanks again, Gill -
Old 19 May 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Zomax25
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Yes we are in London. They're the Picturehouses that do them. I will watch that this evening when I am safely on my sofa with no children about. I will report back later!
Zomax25 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 May 17, 04:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jemima2 View Post
Too many amazing things again to mention but highlights! ... the wand choosing...😐 couldnt you just predict it? ! The snake picking up...i know it was tiny but poot has no fear! You are my hero poot in so many ways ! ❤❤

Of COURSE I could predict it - as we waited I thought to myself, "He'll be picked TODAY - and then there will be great upheaval over which wand is his REAL wand..."

But I NEVER thought he'd be picked and then say that he already HAD a wand. I probably should have, though - it's something his father would do. But not me!

And you are right - NO FEAR. I think it took him a long time to figure out that the world wasn't going to eat him alive, but once he did -

Scorpions, Snakes, Hornets - I have had ALL of those things presented to me - "Look What I Found!"

He and the neighbours' kids (in France) found a Montpellier snake between our houses. I've never seen my neighbour (or indeed ANY Frenchman ) move so fast!

And we're still waiting to hear what your patronus is, Jemima (drums fingers impatiently). I mean I know you have three young children to raise, but come on! Priorities!