Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 23 May 17, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
kellbelle
Trading Disney Pins

The Lill's 1st Trip to Florida May 2017-Pre Travel and Travel Day

For background of our trip I've written a pre-trippy which can be found here...
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1025036

Today we travel to Gatwick in preparation for our flight tomorrow! After a morning of work for me, cleaning the house for hubby, and last minute packing we set off to the Crowne Plaza, Gatwick at about 4pm. It's a 3hr drive and we get there for pretty much 7pm so was a good drive. We get to the hotel, check in and go to the restaurant for tea. We don't need to leave until about 8.30am tomorrow, so come back to the room to watch a bit of TV then go to bed so we're all refreshed for tomorrow!

I wake up first, as usual, this will be a regular occurrence! We're all packed and ready to go by about 8.20am so we get off early to drop the car off as we can drop bags at the VA desk from 9am. We fly at 1pm. We drop the car off then get on the bus straight away, all going very smoothly so far! Getting to the airport and dropping off our bags goes just as well, we were there earlier than the 3hr check in window but figured we may as well be there and just go have breakfast. I'd already checked in online yesterday before we left and printed off our boarding passes so it was just a bag drop. Then after getting through security we went for breakfast at the Wetherspoon's and had a little look round the shops. At 12:12 we were told which gate to go to, I can't remember which number it was I just remember that it was a very high number which makes you realise how big Gatwick is! Our plane was called Ruby Tuesday!

We got on and went to our seats which I had already booked (and paid for! ), our seats were row 66, right at the back in the middle with the doors next to us and the toilet behind us. I wanted to be out of the way and near the toilets for the kids. We also got food/drinks first! But the downside is we were the last ones off . Take off went smoothly and we passed away the flight watching films, the food was just ok but the kids didn't think much to it! Luckily we had brought some snacks with us for them.
We got to Orlando in good time and got off the plane to go through security. The first bit was easy, a self service computer system where we scan our passports, our fingerprints and have our picture taken. This was hard for the kids as we had to lift them up as they wasn't tall enough! We got tickets when we had each done this but when we did L's we couldn't get one as her passport didn't have 6 months validity! We worried when we saw that message come up! Hubby had kept saying about her passport but I said it wasn't fine as everything I'd read told me it was ok to travel to the US upto the expiry date. So Wembley went through to the next desk and waited for maybe 45 mins to get to the next desk. We got put behind in a queue at a desk where they seemed to be questioning one man forever! They eventually let him through and it was our turn. Luckily the passport thing was fine it just meant we couldn't get a ticket, but it didn't really make any difference. We then picked up our bags then went through another security check! After getting through that we made our way to Avis to collect the car. Got upgraded to a slightly bigger car with a sat nav "as we were in the BA executive club), he failed to tell us that this would be an extra $19 a day so watch out for this. Anyway, it was a nice big car and the sat nav would make it easier for our first five days.
Next stop, Walmart. There was one a few mins away from our villa so we called in there on the way. We bought another car seat as we'd only bought one booster in the suitcase with us to meet the Florida law but wanted another so they both had one. Got milk, bread and th necessities! Arrived at the villa which is on Greater Groves, Clermont. We were immediately met with the Wow factor when we came in! It was so big for just the 4 of us! We didn't go in the pool as there was a thunderstorm, so just settled in and had something to eat then went to bed at around 9pm as tiredness had caught us up!

Tomorrow 1900 Park Fayre (well that was the plan!) and Magic Kingdom!

Edited at 10:42 AM.
kellbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
JenD1
Disney's Yacht Club Guest

Have the most fantastic holiday! Bring home lots of memories. Safe journey.
Old 24 May 17, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
kellbelle
Trading Disney Pins

Originally Posted by JenD1 View Post
Have the most fantastic holiday! Bring home lots of memories. Safe journey.
Thank you!
kellbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
A good travel day have a good holiday

Joan
Old 24 May 17, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

That's very cheeky with the 'free' upgrade! I would have been really annoyed.

Glad you had a smooth travel day!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List