Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 24 May 17, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Any tips for Singapore, Thailand, India, Oman and Dubai?

Hi
Just booked a cruise calling at the ports above, sailing from Singapore to Dubai.
Excited - but feeling a bit overwhelmed as this part of the world is new to us.

Has anyone been to any of those ports and taken excursions?
Any other tips?

Thank you!
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

If the port in India is Mumbai...it's worth taking a car tour if you have limited time.
We did do a lot of walking but the next day done the tour...it takes you to all the sights...Dobi Ghats...think Michael Palin... markets...VTR station etc...a good way to see things ... I love India its a fabulous place.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jet View Post
If the port in India is Mumbai...it's worth taking a car tour if you have limited time.
We did do a lot of walking but the next day done the tour...it takes you to all the sights...Dobi Ghats...think Michael Palin... markets...VTR station etc...a good way to see things ... I love India its a fabulous place.
Oh no! That all sounds fab!
My hubby has said he would like to do a land based holiday taking in places like Mumbai at some point. It does look a fascinating place!
On this cruise we are calling into Cochin and then in Goa.
Cloverlady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 03:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

We've done a few Far East cruises, some from/to Singapore. Also cruised to ports in Thailand as well as land based holidays. No experience of India but have visited Dubai as well as cruising to and from there.
PM me if you want any specific advice and I can give info on excursions we have done. What is rhe full itinerary?
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 05:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
We've done a few Far East cruises, some from/to Singapore. Also cruised to ports in Thailand as well as land based holidays. No experience of India but have visited Dubai as well as cruising to and from there.
PM me if you want any specific advice and I can give info on excursions we have done. What is rhe full itinerary?
Hi Omega
Our itinerary is -
Sail from Singapore, stay overnight in Orchard Road area (?) we have little time the night we get there but have some time free the next day as we don't board until 5pm.

Then the stops are -
We stop at Phuket
Then Cochin (India)
Then Goa (India)
Then Muscat (Oman)
Then arrive in Dubai at 2pm and then have an overnight on board the ship before getting off next day, that last morning is free time.
We then fly home from Dubai late afternoon.

I can find very little info on excursions from Muscat, Goa and Cochin.
Also would appreciate any excursions/things to see worth doing in Singapore and Dubai.

We're not interested in shopping, much prefer seeing any natural sights and any things like old temples etc etc.

Thanks!
Old 24 May 17, 06:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Geordieprincess
Apprentice Imagineer

We went to Dubai at Easter. Although you say you don't like shopping it's worth going to Dubai mall. From there you can go up or just look at the burj khalifa, tallest building in world. There is also a fountain show on the lake outside every half hour from 6pm which is well worth seeing. Also check out the huge fish tank outside the aquarium and see the waterfall and umbrella ceiling in the shopping centre. For older/more natural sights head to the creek area for a dhow boat or Abra water taxi and visit the souks - although I have to admit we weren't impressed with this part of town.
Haven't been to Singapore yet but have been researching for next year and looks like the must see thing in the evening is gardens at the bay light show. Day time you could take cable car to sentosa island or visit gardens by the bay and marina bay sands hotel or for temples then the little india area. or you could have breakfast with the orangutans at the zoo or a Singapore sling at raffles hotel.

Edited at 06:58 PM.
Geordieprincess is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Hi Omega
Our itinerary is -
Sail from Singapore, stay overnight in Orchard Road area (?) we have little time the night we get there but have some time free the next day as we don't board until 5pm.

Then the stops are -
We stop at Phuket
Then Cochin (India)
Then Goa (India)
Then Muscat (Oman)
Then arrive in Dubai at 2pm and then have an overnight on board the ship before getting off next day, that last morning is free time.
We then fly home from Dubai late afternoon.

I can find very little info on excursions from Muscat, Goa and Cochin.
Also would appreciate any excursions/things to see worth doing in Singapore and Dubai.

We're not interested in shopping, much prefer seeing any natural sights and any things like old temples etc etc.

Thanks!
On our last visit to Singapore we stayed very close to Orchard Road - two minute walk to Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. The MRT is quick and cheap to get around - easy to use, clean and very reliable plus it's air conditioned! With only a few hours to see some of the sights, I would give Sentosa Island a miss. It requires much longer that you've got.
A good intro would be to take MRT line 6 to Clarke Quay and walk down the river (Boat Quay) towards the old colonial area - as far as the Fullerton Hotel. Then cross Cavanagh Bridge towards the Parliament Building, The Padang to St Andrew's Cathedral. You'll be hot and sticky by this time so keep going in the same direction (NE) through the air conditioned Raffles shopping centre and out the other side and you're opposite Raffles Hotel - time for a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar. To me they are overrated and expensive but you have to do it! You can wander round the gardens as well.
I guess by this time you will be ready to transfer to the ship. An alternative morning trip would be to the Gardens by the Bay and the Singapore Flyer, if time. If you want to get a flavour of Singapore, the walk is probably the best.
If you don't have a pre-arranged transfer, taxis are fine and reasonably priced (unlike everything else in Singapore!) - be aware there two cruise terminals in Singapore, Harbourfront (underneath the cable car to Sentosa Island) and Marina Bay. Both are on the MRT.
Phuket - your ship may dock at the small port (Panwa) at the southern end of the island or tender into Patong. Either way, there will be local taxis offering tours of the southern part of the island which usually includes a beach stop for a swim. Last time we were there we got together with three other couples and had a minibus taxi for the day - we only paid about $10 each. They all accepted USD but we needed Thai baht for small purchases.
Oman - when we went to Muscat we docked in the Mutrah area. We wanted to visit the souk which is a short walk away around the harbour. The souk was amazing - for the locals, not tourists. After that we arranged with a taxi driver to take us on a three hour tour. The driver spoke good English and was lovely - very proud of his country. We went to the Royal (Al Alam)Palace and had a refreshment stop at the amazing Al Bustan Hotel - which is close to the Al Bustan Palace. Our return trip took us through some traditional villages. It was a wonderful day.
Dubai is a tricky one, there is so much to see and do. The old town by the creek is great - as Geordieprincess says take an Abra water taxi across to the souks.
Afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab is quite an experience - we bumped into Michael Jackson there in 2005! You are best to read up about Dubai and see what appeals to you - but with the time you've got, you'll have to be selective. As you overnight there consider a desert dune bashing trip followed by a Bedouin Camp experience - we used Arabian Adventures and really enjoyed it
Hope this helps - what ship are you on?
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 May 17, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Geordieprincess View Post
We went to Dubai at Easter. Although you say you don't like shopping it's worth going to Dubai mall. From there you can go up or just look at the burj khalifa, tallest building in world. There is also a fountain show on the lake outside every half hour from 6pm which is well worth seeing. Also check out the huge fish tank outside the aquarium and see the waterfall and umbrella ceiling in the shopping centre. For older/more natural sights head to the creek area for a dhow boat or Abra water taxi and visit the souks - although I have to admit we weren't impressed with this part of town.
Haven't been to Singapore yet but have been researching for next year and looks like the must see thing in the evening is gardens at the bay light show. Day time you could take cable car to sentosa island or visit gardens by the bay and marina bay sands hotel or for temples then the little india area. or you could have breakfast with the orangutans at the zoo or a Singapore sling at raffles hotel.
Thanks so much Geordieprincess for these ideas - I was totally in the dark about these places as never been 'out east' . I've just looked a lot of the stuff you mention up - I like the sound of the fountains, and the aquarium and will def try to force myself to go up the Burj Khalifa!
Love the look of the Gardens by the bay - that will be a definite.
Thank you so much... a new planning spreadsheet is in the making!
Old 24 May 17, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Cloverlady
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
On our last visit to Singapore we stayed very close to Orchard Road - two minute walk to Dhoby Ghaut MRT station. The MRT is quick and cheap to get around - easy to use, clean and very reliable plus it's air conditioned! With only a few hours to see some of the sights, I would give Sentosa Island a miss. It requires much longer that you've got.
A good intro would be to take MRT line 6 to Clarke Quay and walk down the river (Boat Quay) towards the old colonial area - as far as the Fullerton Hotel. Then cross Cavanagh Bridge towards the Parliament Building, The Padang to St Andrew's Cathedral. You'll be hot and sticky by this time so keep going in the same direction (NE) through the air conditioned Raffles shopping centre and out the other side and you're opposite Raffles Hotel - time for a Singapore Sling in the Long Bar. To me they are overrated and expensive but you have to do it! You can wander round the gardens as well.
I guess by this time you will be ready to transfer to the ship. An alternative morning trip would be to the Gardens by the Bay and the Singapore Flyer, if time. If you want to get a flavour of Singapore, the walk is probably the best.
If you don't have a pre-arranged transfer, taxis are fine and reasonably priced (unlike everything else in Singapore!) - be aware there two cruise terminals in Singapore, Harbourfront (underneath the cable car to Sentosa Island) and Marina Bay. Both are on the MRT.
Phuket - your ship may dock at the small port (Panwa) at the southern end of the island or tender into Patong. Either way, there will be local taxis offering tours of the southern part of the island which usually includes a beach stop for a swim. Last time we were there we got together with three other couples and had a minibus taxi for the day - we only paid about $10 each. They all accepted USD but we needed Thai baht for small purchases.
Oman - when we went to Muscat we docked in the Mutrah area. We wanted to visit the souk which is a short walk away around the harbour. The souk was amazing - for the locals, not tourists. After that we arranged with a taxi driver to take us on a three hour tour. The driver spoke good English and was lovely - very proud of his country. We went to the Royal (Al Alam)Palace and had a refreshment stop at the amazing Al Bustan Hotel - which is close to the Al Bustan Palace. Our return trip took us through some traditional villages. It was a wonderful day.
Dubai is a tricky one, there is so much to see and do. The old town by the creek is great - as Geordieprincess says take an Abra water taxi across to the souks.
Afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab is quite an experience - we bumped into Michael Jackson there in 2005! You are best to read up about Dubai and see what appeals to you - but with the time you've got, you'll have to be selective. As you overnight there consider a desert dune bashing trip followed by a Bedouin Camp experience - we used Arabian Adventures and really enjoyed it
Hope this helps - what ship are you on?
Wow thank you Omega I just came on to thank Geordieprincess when I saw your post! So much detail, so many ideas, thank you.
Great to hear about the MRT, I'll look all that up now - and I've heard of the Raffles Hotel (wasn't sure exactly where it was LOL) so that is a must do
Not sure which port we are in for Phuket as not got full details through yet, but I note it says tendered at Phuket.
It sounds like you got the very best out of your cruise locations, I must confess to feeling a bit uneasy at this early stage as I wasn't sure how safe we'd feel in these places?

Oh, and we are on Mariner Of The Seas Treated ourselves to a balcony cabin - can't wait!

P.S. We were shocked how far away Singare really is when we looked on a map! It's only 88 miles from the equator! Wow!

Off to look up more of your ideas now... spreadsheet at the ready! Thanks again!
Old 24 May 17, 09:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Cloverlady View Post
Wow thank you Omega I just came on to thank Geordieprincess when I saw your post! So much detail, so many ideas, thank you.
Great to hear about the MRT, I'll look all that up now - and I've heard of the Raffles Hotel (wasn't sure exactly where it was LOL) so that is a must do
Not sure which port we are in for Phuket as not got full details through yet, but I note it says tendered at Phuket.
It sounds like you got the very best out of your cruise locations, I must confess to feeling a bit uneasy at this early stage as I wasn't sure how safe we'd feel in these places?

Oh, and we are on Mariner Of The Seas Treated ourselves to a balcony cabin - can't wait!

P.S. We were shocked how far away Singare really is when we looked on a map! It's only 88 miles from the equator! Wow!

Off to look up more of your ideas now... spreadsheet at the ready! Thanks again!
No problem. You'll enjoy the Mariner, we did a two week Caribbean cruise on her back in 2009 - it's a fun ship.
Have a look at Cruisecritic - there will be a roll call for your cruise with fellow passengers offering ideas for excursions and inviting others to form a small group for trips.