Notices
Shopping in Florida For all those Shopaholics out there.

Closed Thread

Old 6 Jun 15, 11:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by myusbc View Post
Actually I think it is closer to losing cash than you think because you may be liable for any money taken before the card is reported stolen . The bank may take some time to research the claim and if you have most of your money on the card then it can put a dent in your holiday . Chip and pins are not required in Florida so money can be taken from a card very quickly . Then you have the issue of replacing the card while away from home.
Well that's different - I agree that if your account is compromised (even if you didn't leave home) then money can be debited from your account.

BUT if you can prove that you notified your bank ASAP and you didn't do anything wrong you will get your money back. It is NOT the same as cash. Cash gone = cash gone. No-one to claim back from...

I agree that a CC (or 2,3) is a good idea. But a debit card has pretty much the same protection as it does in the UK.

Not everyone can get a CC. And those that cannot should research carefully - lots of companies can "reserve" funds (hotels, car hire, etc.) and that CAN temporarily take funds out of your account.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Jun 15, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post

Actually you have better consumer protection with your UK cards. Millions of transactions take place a day in the US with no problem so really the main concern is if they are lost or stolen , what options you have after the event to make sure your holiday is not impacted too much. Personally I never go anywhere without at least 2 cards and I don't carry them together . If nothing else, it helps if one is blocked by the bank or if one has a damaged strip, because these always seem to happen at the most inopportune moments
Old 7 Jun 15, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post

My point was if you are on Holiday and your spending money is on your debit card and its lost or stolen it is gone , maybe not gone for good but gone long enough to seriously upset your holiday .
Even US Petrol Stations will hold back a reserve until the funds clear plus there is also the non sterling fee which is usually close to 3% .
Old 7 Jun 15, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post

1. Don't just take one card - you are right, if for whatever reason it is declined it can cause problems (and if you are in the US it might be stopped by your bank due to fraud protection
2. On a debit card, no company can hold/take more money than you authorise. Almost all US gas stations are pre-pay so you take your debit card to the counter before you fuel. Yes, if you fuel less than you have paid you can ask for a refund and that will take a few days to come through. A few dollar more
3. Banks typically charge 3% fee for non-sterling. Even given this, the actual amount you pay will typically be very close to the cash exchange rate

Take more than one credit/debit card. If possible have at least one credit card. Make sure you have insurance (your debit card will leave you bleeding to death in the ambulance bay). Never use your card at a gas station/7-11.
Old 7 Jun 15, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post

clarkhoward/2-reasons...er-use-a-debit

regarding authorized holds on debit cards.
I have attached a link regarding this issue from Clark Howard a Nationally syndicated radio host . Most people pay at the pump and that can cause the problem , going inside and prepaying avoids the hold being placed.
Old 8 Jun 15, 09:33 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Very interesting thread thank you.

Many hotels put a 'hold' on your card(see below) but Disney hotels don't put a 'hold' on your cards BUT they do have a limit before they charge your credit card and if you go over that limit BEFORE they've had a chance to charge your card, you can have items declined!
Limit is more for deluxe and less for values.

The bvp (where i'm staying) puts a hold of $75 per day on your card (i only learned this recently) and this seemingly is common practice in usa, so worth looking into IF you are staying off-site.
I have pre-paid my room, INCLUDING the daily resort fee (also 'common' in some hotels and in addition to hotel room charge)so will decline charging privileges, and will pay as i go.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Jun 15, 10:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Laurabelle84
Excited about Disney

We've gotten a Halifax clarity for our trip on the advice of family who travel a lot, sounds ideal, will take some dollars too but will use the card for outlets etc and just pay it off when we get home x
Laurabelle84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 15, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Laurabelle84 View Post
We've gotten a Halifax clarity for our trip on the advice of family who travel a lot, sounds ideal, will take some dollars too but will use the card for outlets etc and just pay it off when we get home x
Wish they were available in the Republic of Ireland.
We could do with a bit more competition here as the banks have a 'field' day charging us way over the 'odds'!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 15, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post

Have you looked into the Prepaid MasterCard from AnPOST which you can load up with dollars . I have heard its very handy .
Old 19 Jun 15, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

Yes thanks. I think I may get one of these as 'back up' before I travel.
Just found I can get an additional card for free (in case there are probs with first card eg magnetic strip)
It charges for ATM withdrawals but NOT merchants, SO I take it, if I use it to pay off my disney hotel charges (from magicband shopping, restaurants etc) Disney willl accept it and there'll be no charge/fee( as merchant item).
Can anyone confirm?

Thanks so much.

Closed Thread